Welcome to the International Emetophobia Society | The Web's Largest Meeting Place for People With Emetophobia.

Default 'tis the season :/

So I've been on here for a few months now, but have felt a bit nervous about posting... here goes nothing.

I've been an emet for just over a year now, and it's acting up right now like crazy. There's a really bad stomach virus going around at my school that attacked everyone (mostly boarders) this weekend, and I didn't know about it until I got to school today and noticed about 30 out of a total 240 students out with it (it's a v one, and it's REAL bad). What can I do to keep myself from getting it? I haven't eaten at all today because I've been so terrified, but I know that's not good and that could make me feel worse. Is the stomach flu an airborne virus, or do I have to ingest it? Should I just not go to school tomorrow? I'm so scared of getting it

Default Re: 'tis the season :/

First off, any stomach flu is not airborne. The virus must be ingested in order to affect you. Best way to keep yourself safe is to wash your hands and not touch your face.

Ooh that sounds rough.. I know how you feel! I'd say to just make sure to wash your hands (just regular soap is good!). If it helps, one time I was hanging out with a friend the entire day before she got a sv and right after, the only sickness I felt was from my own thoughts omg + I've avoided it when my sister and brother had it many times. Your body/immune system will protect you <3
    I guess you could stay home, but that way you aren't really facing your fear though!! But I understand, it's best to take it slowly one step at the time
    You will be fine no matter what hell even if you did get it, you wouldn't necessarily go through the "scary" symptoms !

As long as your wash your hands before you eat anything or touch your mouth, you cannot get it. I work in an elementary school and try to bring foods that don't require me to eat with my hands anyway - salad, pasta, yogurt, granola bar, fruit cup, cheese stick, etc. That way if you're not able to wash your hands for whatever reason, it's no big deal!

thanks Austin, that's comforting cat1, I hope my immune system can fight it off! I had a low-grade fever over the weekend and didn't feel like eating anything, so I'm hoping that was my body doing it's thing and not letting me become infected by the plague. cmu, thanks for the tip! Definitely skipping any french fries or crackers at school this week.

I remember when I was in high school and the virus would be going around like wildfire. Those were some of the darkest days of my life. I didn't even want to wake in the morning and have to go to school. Those are during the times when my emet was at its worse, when I'd have rather died than vomited. I couldn't just play hookie. The virus might sometimes be going around for a few weeks at a time, I couldn't play hookie for 2 weeks. I would walk out the door every day thinking, "will this be the day I get it?" I was depressed and miserable. Every person I saw running or walking fast I thought was running for the bathroom. Even while in class, if I heard fast footsteps going down the hallway or heard someone coughing outside the room my heart would start pounding thinking that someone was about to vomit. Then I'd worried about stepping outside after class and seeing "it" on the ground. It was a horrible, horrible feeling. My heart goes out to anyone that has to be somewhere that it's going around like crazy. That's why I'd never step food on a cruise ship! Floating noro factories they are, and then be trapped and can't get off with vomiting people all around you. That's nightmarish!

I'm not 100% over emet, but I'm glad that I don't fear it nearly as much as I used to. I'm probably only about 30% as emet now as I was in high school. Seeing "it" on the ground used to damn near send me into panic mode. In 3rd grade I saw a girl puke during recess and I just jumped up and bolted away to the furthest end of the school I could find as if an axe murderer was chasing me. Now I just think "yuck" and go about my day unaffected, kinda like seeing dog poop on the sidewalk.
    Last edited by mooki; 01-15-2015 at 04:19 PM.