Welcome to the International Emetophobia Society | The Web's Largest Meeting Place for People With Emetophobia.

Question OT: Natural Makeup?

This is a question probably for the ladies....or anyone who has a great grasp with chemistry

So, over the last several months, I've had on-again, off-again allergic reactions on my face. It started in the summer from a foundation that caused my cheeks to become dry, scaly, red, bleeding. My dermatologist ruled it a contact dermatitis and gave me some miracle gel and it went away...but it would come back if I used any type of acne care system (the three steps you buy in store) or any makeup that would "fight acne" So I figured I had some sort of salicylic acid allergy.

Next, I bought a fiber mascara that a few of my friends loved. My eyelid blew up. I instantly stopped using the mascara. Annoying, because that mascara ruled performance wise!

However over the next few months I would notice around my eyes would get dry and burn and my eyelids (mostly the left one) would swell up. It would resemble blepharitis- but after several visits to my eye doctor, she ruled it a contact dermatitis too! It was weird because it was a pretty defined line on my lash line. I would think I found makeup that works and next all of a sudden my eyes would be burning again.

The next stop was an allergist who ordered a patch test of common chemicals in makeup/hygiene/cleaning products. The results were I was allergic to 4 things (good luck pronouncing some of them lol)
    Gold
    Formaldehyde
    isothiazolinone/Methylchloroisothiazolinone
    Methylsothiazolinone
    Quaternium15

The iso/methyl ingredient was literally in all my products. Shampoo, conditioner, soaps, shaving soap, dish soap, hand soap, makeup remover pads.

Anyways, my biggest issue right now is kind of finding new makeup. I found new bath products and I'm almost a week into using them and my eyelid hasnt done anything weird yet as in blowing up again. However upon really really really close observation you can see that awful line where it would blow up every time it came in contact with an allergen. And by really close I mean no one else can really see it but me in the right light. I've had other people look. I guess I'm just overly self conscious at this point and probably a little punch drunk from mildly obsessing over an eyelid.

Does anyone on this forum suffer from something similar? Have suggestions for a natural makeup? So far I found a promising eyeliner. I'm searching for mascara and a lightweight foundation. All my google searching leads me to some promising results but with one concern of "iron oxide". Is that something I should even worry about? What do you use? Thanks
    Last edited by JadeNight; 01-14-2015 at 11:17 PM.

Default Re: OT: Natural Makeup?

As soon as I read this, I instantly thought of The Body Shop.

I don't have sensitive skin or allergies or anything, however I do prefer using The Body Shop makeup products because even though they're a little bit expensive, they're the most natural you can get in terms of makeup. I've never heard of anyone reacting to their makeup products, and I also just checked on the ingredients list of their foundation and mascara and I didn't find any of those ingredients you listed. I did find a *may contain: Iron Oxides* on the foundation though, however i don't think that's anything to really worry about and it also says MAY I say go for The Body Shop, it's your best bet. The products I was looking at (and I own myself and love) are the:
    -Divide and Multiply Mascara
    &
    -Moisture Foundation SPF 15 (super lightweight - it's crazy good)

Good luck
    "For beautiful eyes, look for the good in others; for beautiful lips, speak only words of kindness; and for poise, walk with the knowledge that you are never alone" - Audrey Hepburn

Did this just start happening all of a sudden? Like did you wear makeup regularly before this started? Seems weird that it was kicked off with a foundation.

Are you going for more prestige brands or drugstore? If drugstore, Physician's Formula is renowned for being organic and many people I know with sensitive skin and allergies use it. As for prestige, totally BareMinerals and Tarte! I have never had a bad experience with Tarte and it is notorious for being a natural makeup brand. It is also cruelty-free which is a big bonus in my book.

I have huge allergy problems with makeup and bare minerals works a treat
    Susie

Quote Originally Posted by emmabean View Post
    Did this just start happening all of a sudden? Like did you wear makeup regularly before this started? Seems weird that it was kicked off with a foundation.
    No, Sadly I've always worn makeup. One time two years ago my eyelid reacted but it never happened again and I would use some pretty cheap makeup! But then one day my skin just reacted. Allergies tend to happen after long exposures to bad chemicals/preservatives though, and your body is changing all the time. It just sucks

Quote Originally Posted by victoria_xo View Post
    As soon as I read this, I instantly thought of The Body Shop.

I don't have sensitive skin or allergies or anything, however I do prefer using The Body Shop makeup products because even though they're a little bit expensive, they're the most natural you can get in terms of makeup. I've never heard of anyone reacting to their makeup products, and I also just checked on the ingredients list of their foundation and mascara and I didn't find any of those ingredients you listed. I did find a *may contain: Iron Oxides* on the foundation though, however i don't think that's anything to really worry about and it also says MAY I say go for The Body Shop, it's your best bet. The products I was looking at (and I own myself and love) are the:
    -Divide and Multiply Mascara
    &
    -Moisture Foundation SPF 15 (super lightweight - it's crazy good)

Good luck

Thank you! I'm on their site now and they have a good deal going on (buy two get one! yay!)

Quote Originally Posted by yourjedi View Post
    Are you going for more prestige brands or drugstore? If drugstore, Physician's Formula is renowned for being organic and many people I know with sensitive skin and allergies use it. As for prestige, totally BareMinerals and Tarte! I have never had a bad experience with Tarte and it is notorious for being a natural makeup brand. It is also cruelty-free which is a big bonus in my book.
    Sadly PF is a no-no for me. All their mascaras caused me to become itchy an their concealers caused my skin to become really dry which is strange. But I will check out the others! Thank you

I have huge allergies and the only thing I can wear at all is Bare Escentuals, which is amazing. I use their foundation and their mascara. I can do cover girl blush and eyeshadow. Bare Escentuals gloss. No pimples or exzema/psoriases/allergy breakouts/eye swelling since I switched 7 years ago.

I can't use body shop - scents and oils. Nope.

Tarte - I can use their lipsurgence pencil things, but nothing else. Talc and scents as well.

Honestly, BE is your best bet. And sephora and nordstrom carry and have 100% return guarantees. And it is sold on QVC.

Allergies can develop over time. I suddenly developed an allergy to Benzoyl Peroxide in 2010. Had never had any problems with it before, but not the tiniest spot on my face and I get hives everywhere.

Here's a support group on FB for people with the MI/ME allergy that may help you find good products:

https://www.facebook.com/pages/Aller...07128722674171
    -Jenni

"Look for love and evidence that you're worth keeping." PJ

This has got to be the most frustrating and expensive thing my body ever did to me! Lol! I appreciate all the suggestions, ladies

I've been looking into natural or organic makeup too, just to really try to avoid all the awful chemicals that are put in makeup. Brands you could investigate are Origins, Juice Beauty, and 100% Pure. Let us know...