Welcome to the International Emetophobia Society | The Web's Largest Meeting Place for People With Emetophobia.

Default Newly pregnant & scared!

I just found out last weekend that I'm pregnant (I am 4w6d today). My husband and I were trying, and we're absolutely thrilled. This baby is so wanted, but I am really getting scared. I had my first bout of nausea today while grocery shopping. It passed pretty quickly, but I know morning sickness tends to start in earnest around 6 weeks, and that's only a week away. I don't know how to deal. I work full time, and I'm so scared of getting sick at work. I do have Zofran, but there are conflicting studies about whether or not it's safe to take while pregnant, and I definitely don't want to take any risks! Does anyone have any experience, advice, suggestions.. ? I want to just be happy and enjoy my pregnancy, but I'm scared!

Default Re: Newly pregnant & scared!

Congratulations! I don't know anything about having kids, but I do think a lot of people take zofran. I know if you search morning sickness there is a lot of threads about it.
    If you try and tell me a phobia is unreal. I dare you to live a day, and feel what I have to feel.

- michelle

Check out my daily blog
    To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
    for stories, poems, and all sorts of stuff related to my emetophobia.

I was you about 3.5 years ago. I now have a just over 3 year old and almost 1 year old. I won't lie it is scary with my son I had nausea 24\7 but never threw up read about tricks to help and found one that worked for me. My second pregnancy no nausea at all so know that each pregnancy is different. Youb are on the best journey of your life in the end it will all be worth it. You can get through it breathe through it. I am in Canada so we don't have zofran here by I used dicletin through the first 20 weeks you can do this!! As emets we are strong and fight v*ing so you can do it. If not it is for a good cause.

I started a thread about this time last year and it has tons of great tips and all us mom's expanded. The keys are the following:

1. sea bands
    2. always snack. crackers. dry cereal.
    3. sour things are your friend (lemon drops, sour patch kids)
    4. never get out of bed before eating a few crackers or something. trust me. you will feel awful.
    5. hydrate all the time. water. ginger ale. vitamin water. anything.
    6. eat whatever you can tolerate. I lived on 10 things my first trimester. 10 things my second. 10 things my last. it was odd. I am vegan but all I wanted was chicken tenders and mcd's filet o fish. never ate since. I love pasta but couldn't even look at it when pregnant.
    7. if you do get sick, it isn't at all like a sv and passes fast. some people are sick one time, others a lot. I was n all 40 weeks but never v ONCE. it is possible to be n and never get sick.
    8. rest. a lot. esp 1st trimester. I was dizzy a lot. laying down helped the n go away. just because you aren't showing doesn't mean your body isn't working HARD. the 6 - 12 week mark are the busiest bc the brain and heart and spine are forming and your body is working overtime.

and congrats! my son is almost 8 and he is the best thing I ever did in my entire life!

Yep to everything mdgirl said. In addition - ice. Ok so my first trimester was through summer, but I found icy drinks, ice pops, and ice cubes to be really great for that feeling of retching (I was REALLY unlucky with MS in the first and second trimester!)

I'm now 36weeks though, getting ready to meet my son. It's a very exciting time

Congrats!!! I am 12 weeks tomorrow and I've made it so far with out v and the morning sickness was more of an icky feeling rather than feeling like I'm going to v. I hope I stay this way but I was and still am terrified. Like mrsfox said, iced stuff seemed to help a lot. Just that cooling sensation in my mouth eased it. I also wore and still am wearing seabands. I always had a granola bar or Luna bar, thanks to mdgirls advice, next to my bed before I got out. You will be fine and it's so worth going through!

Congratulations! Unfortunately theres not much i can bring here (I'm a dude and at least 95% percent sure I'm not pregnant....maybe). But still congrats