Welcome to the International Emetophobia Society | The Web's Largest Meeting Place for People With Emetophobia.

Default Girlfriend is sick and I am scared

It doesn't make any sense for me to be scared, because she is not even in the same country as I am. She is on vacation with her family and is miles and miles away, but she has a stomach bug, and it terrifies me. Some completely irrational part of my mind thinks that somehow I will get it too, even though I haven't seen her for weeks and won't see her for another week (plenty of time for her to get better). It's making it hard for me to eat much, because I'm scared I'm going to v*. It's completely irrational, and I know that, but I don't know how to make the thoughts go away.

On top of that, when she tells me details about how sick she is (she knows about my phobia, so she's been careful not to tell me that she v*ed, though it's been implied by her use of the term "stomach bug", but she's telling me details about her general illness) it really freaks me out. I don't like thinking about sickness in general, because I associate it with v*ing. Plus, I keep picturing her v*ing, and it's incredibly distressing, but I can't make it stop. I want to ask her to stop telling me about her illness, but I know that would be selfish and that it is important that I can be there to talk to when she is not feeling well.

My phobia isn't usually this bad, so I just don't have the skills to cope with it. Can someone please give me some advice on how to stop freaking out about this?

Default Re: Girlfriend is sick and I am scared

Here's the best advice in the world. Ready for it?

Grab a nice bowl of popcorn, and watch a movie. You're fine, you didn't get anything like her. You're a crazy emet like the rest of us- just eat that nice crunchy popcorn, or a nice snack, and watch your favorite movie!

I know its hard and easy for your mind to get off track and be irrational, but you gotta pull yourself together. Tell yourself, you are fine, shes far away, etc. You will be okay!
    If you try and tell me a phobia is unreal. I dare you to live a day, and feel what I have to feel.

- michelle

Check out my daily blog
    To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
    for stories, poems, and all sorts of stuff related to my emetophobia.

this happens to me a lot. i hear about anyone anywhere having an SV and i freak out. what scares me is the reinforcement that it DOES happen. I stay calm by convincing myself that no one REALLY gets SVs and i'll be ok. but when i hear about ANYONE else having it, that illusion is shattered and it becomes real.
    “A man that flies from his fear may find that he has only taken a short cut to meet it.”

I get the same way - tonight on Facebook someone shared a picture of a sprite can and crackers saying that she was one of 4 people in her household to projectile V* on FACEBOOK!! I literally got sick to my stomach and have been anxious all night. Even though I haven't seen her or talked to her in A LONG time.... I get how you feel - especially since you are dating... try and distract yourself. I like to clean when I am feeling anxious about this... if everything is clean - clean out a closet or space and get rid of stuff it does work!

I know its hard not to worry but do something nice to try and distract yourself. Listen to music, read, watch tv. She's in a different country to you so there's no way you will get anything from her and I'm sure when she gets back she will be feeling alot better

Thank you guys. Distractions work wonders. And I think I kinda needed someone to tell me how ridiculous I was being.

Other question though: how can you make the thoughts go away when there are no distractions, like when you're trying to sleep? I did quite well last night until I tried to go to bed. The thoughts started up again and it was difficult to make them stop. Same thing while I was showering today. The main issue right now seems to be a fairly persistent, recurring thought in which I picture her v*ing. It doesn't happen all the time, but when it does, I find it hard to make it stop if I don't have any distractions available.

Think of your favorite place to go on vacation, and why you like it, then just think about that.
    If you can dream it, you can do it.

-Walt Disney

I Am (week and day) Pregnant

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.