Welcome to the International Emetophobia Society | The Web's Largest Meeting Place for People With Emetophobia.

OK, so I have been reading all the posts about people getting sick with sv on airplanes and now I am having some severe anxiety.

I am flying to hawaii over Christmas with my two children, ages 4 and 2. I really don't handle people around me being ill very well...ok, so I actualy usually run away and hide my face and cover my ears.

however, with two kids, if someone is sick or if they get sick, what do I do? I can't freak out on the plane and that is such a long flight!

Does anyone have any suggestions, other than germ-x galore on how to prevent catching anything and what to do to keep my calm around my kids in the event that someone on the plain v*? I really hate being an emet (other than having this great group of people I know I can count on in a pinch!) susan

About 5 or 6 years ago I flew to Hawaii. First it was a 4 hour plane flight to California and then a 5 hour trip to Hawaii. Honestly I was so excited that we were going I totally forgot about my Emet. Someone did get sick on that flight, the one to Hawaii, and I remember seeing the flight crew running back and fourth with air sickness bag but I didn't get anything.

I think that as long as you are careful and you keep your hands clean and such then you should be fine. I know the air is circulated in planes so it's probably easy to pick up a virus but most people don't fly when they are sick. I remember this one time when we went on vacation and my sister got a SV and we actually put off flying until she was better.

I wouldn't worry too much about it, like I said...just proper hygene...you'll be fine!

~Monica
    David Duchovny I want you to love me
    To kiss and to hug me, debrief and debug me
    David Duchovny I know you could love me
    I\'m sweet and I\'m cuddly-I\'m gonna kill Scully!

I would give anything for the opportunity to go to Hawaii. All I can say is that you cannot put life on hold. Live for now and put the what if's in the back of your mind. You will be fine..
    \"This too shall pass\"

There is nothing you can do about being being ill around you, but if your
    kids have not flown, then you might want to give them some Dramamine
    before you fly with them so that they will not be motion sick. Also, there is a
    vitamin supplement called Airborne. They have regular and Jr. It's a vitamin
    C, B12, and zinc supplement that is meant to keep you from getting sick or
    to nip sickness that you can feel creeping up on you. You should give it a
    shot!!

BTW... don't buy the lemon-lime... stick with the orange.

it's quite rare that people get sick on flights, i know its a bit nerve racking, but just try to relax and enjoy your time. lucky you - hawaii! that'll be awesome tell us how it goes.

oh good luck, i hope you have a good flight.

I am so jealous! I have been to Hawaii twice and I would love to go back again!

I was on a plane once when a little boy across the aisle and up one row from me kept v*. He must have been really sick - he v* a couple of times before we even took off. I just turned on the air vent over me full blast so I couldn't smell anything and put my headphones on so I couldn't hear. Of course, that could be tough with kids, but it seems like there is so much noise on a plane anyway that you can't really hear oter people.

I have seen that Airborne stuff in store too and was curious about trying it.

I'm sure everything will be fine. I have flown tons of times and that one time was the only experience I ever had where someone v*d. Have a great time! you will have to tell us all about it when you get back. What island are you going to?

We are going to Oahu. It is my in-laws 50th wedding anniversary and they decided to take their entire family (there are 17 of us!) to Hawaii instead of having a party. I am excited about it, but you know us emets...we look at every opportunity based on its v* potential! I am also not looking forward to having to chase my overactive 2 year old up and down the aisle of an airplane for 8 hours! She's a little hellion (but she's cute...that gets her out of a lot of trouble!)

Thanks for the help! I will definately get the Airborne!

Hi Susan-

My only advice is to bring games to keep the kids and yourself busy- the busier you keep yourself (and I bet the two year old will keep you PLENTY busy, hehe), the less time you will have to worry about someone around you being sick. Also, since airline food can be enough to make ANYONE want to throw up, bring snacks for yourself and your kids just in case. Crackers and juice are usually safe and easy on the stomach.

I'm getting ready myself to fly from Canada to Tasmania in February...Since its going to be a loooong flight (with a connection in Sydney Australia), I'm hoping for the best. I'm going with a friend, so I'm hoping that she will let me take the window and sit beside me, so if anyone on the flight does get sick, the likelihood of me seeing or hearing it is cut down.

*amber*

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Hey Amber,

Tasmania sounds REALLY cool!!! Thanks for the advice...I feel bad worrying about my little 8 hour flight when you are going that far. What will you do there?

susan

Hi Susan-

Tasmania is hosting ICOPA (international conference on penal abolition). I can't put it any more elegant than this, so I will post from a previous website:

"ICOPA challenges the roots of a revenge oriented system which pretends to deal with crime while doing much more to reinforce the barriers between social classes, races, genders, and ages. We seek a TRANSFORMATIVE or HEALING JUSTICE SYSTEM, which will take crime as an opportunity to get to its root causes and transform them, bringing power to the community and healing to victims and offenders alike."

Im a criminology grad student, withthe intent to teach at the University level.I went into criminology and psychology with the intent of going intopolicework- but after a few yearsI realized that the traditional justice system isdoing more damage than good, soam looking to work with alternatives.

But I got off track- yeah, its going to be a looong time in a plane. But, on the plus side, after the conference we're going to stay in Sydney and hang out withsome family of mine. Thinking of that is what is going to make meNOT focus onwhat may happen on the plane. If something worries youwhile you are flying (8 hours is still a long time)- just think of how much it will be worth it when you're relaxing with your family!

*amber*

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

I would think that people on the plane would be sick from like the motion or like nerves rather than sv*. I say just relax, and think of the good stuff, and just concintrate on your kids, and having fun with them. And of course good hygeine like usual, and that kind of thing. I know I would be scared on the planes because of the recycled air, but think of it this way, people go on them all the time, and how many of them get sick? I mean people need them for work travel, and if they always got sick, they couldn't work. HAVE FUN. Bring something to do, books, mags, games, music, snacks, anything to keep you occupied.
    I love Sam