Welcome to the International Emetophobia Society | The Web's Largest Meeting Place for People With Emetophobia.

Default Are you afraid to travel?

I love to travel, but I wish I didn't have to eat. I have a buddy that travels to many poor countries. He gets food poisoned almost every time he goes somewhere. Sometimes bad enough to need hospitalization.

It's a shame, the food is one of the great joys of going to another country. But every time I put something in my mouth there's that countdown going off in my head wondering when is my number up. If you eat enough meals in poor countries, you are going to get food poisoned. Will this be the meal that has me spewing from both ends? And then I can barely enjoy eating. Any little thing that tastes even slightly funny I want to spit it out for fear that it's tainted. Not to even mention worrying that someone with noro may have prepared my food. I hear so much about how wonderful ceviche is in Peru, but I'd be terrified to eat raw seafood in a 3rd world country.

Default Re: Are you afraid to travel?

I wouldn't eat it anyway I get a sore stomach going from eating irish food then eating scottish food when I travel back and forth so I can be 100% sure I would not eat raw seafood from a third world country id bring a crate of pot noodles with me - just add boiling water lol! Shame really thou because ive always been desperate to travel to America mostly because the food looks soooo good on telly but right now I'd probably struggle to even eat there too and probably get phantom symptoms

I actually got over my fear of travelling by going to Awesome Games Done Quick....didn't let my emet get in the way at all (even ate at subway with my unwashed hands on the same day i got off a flight! wot) Definitely will travel again after that :P

I LOVE traveling, we go to jamaica every year and the food there is AMAZING! It's sad your friend gets food poisoning that often but are you sure it is? I mean there are lots of things to attribute to it. No matter how much you travel you can get travelers d*, or the change in food could give you a upset stomach and or d*, drinking tap water from MANY countries can make someone sick.
    I used to have food aversions but I've grown and realized that I have to live a little. I eat better in Jamaica than I do at home lol! And I've trued smoked marlin, spiny lobster, variety of their local fruits and vegetables...it's simply amazing and you feel good about yourself too!

I have put myself out there to the extent that I've travelled some fully within US borders, in some cases with an assist from fellow IES members . As far as the international travle thing, not yet, but I would like to. I feel like I'd need a good reason to go to some of these less developed countries, like to help out, learn the culture, if I had a close friend there, etc. I would only need the time off and a good excuse to go to Europe, Australia, New Zealand etc. It's all theoretical at the moment as I don't even have a passport. I have been afraid to do what I've done so far, but really glad I didn't let this fear keep me home, and hope for more adventures in the future.