Welcome to the International Emetophobia Society | The Web's Largest Meeting Place for People With Emetophobia.

I have moved away from home. Not even in the same country as my family now. i dont why i done it. I have this massive fear of vommiting and it controls my everyday life. I dont eat certain foods cause once i had it then was sick after eating it. I haven't been sick for almost ten years now (touch wood)but it doesnt help my fear. When i feel sick i have panic attacks and i pace the room i cant sleep cause lying down makes it worse. My heart races and i shake violently. I tell my self out loud over and over againt that i am imagining it. When i was at home i used to go into my parents bedroom and wake my mum to make her come and help calm me down. I am a nineteen year old for gawds sake, i shouldnt still be running to my parents. and now that i am so far away from them i am finding it so hard to cope. Crying and getting histerical doesnt help but its what allways happens.

Are you in school or somewhere in a crowded institutional setting that
    you're hearing about a lot of people being sick? Because when I was
    your age, I had the same thing going on to a somewhat lesser degree.
    Time will heal. You're approaching an exciting time in your life with a
    lot of big events. As the years click by (and they will do so rapidly),
    the experiences you have where you feel sick but don't become sick and
    all this extraneous worry should start to diminish. In the mean time,
    welcome to the forum. If you beging to panic, you can come here and
    talk to somebody or get your questions answered.

Stress makes phobiasworse. And transition=stress. That sounds like what you're going threw. Is there any way you can move back nearer to your parents? Mabey it was too much too soon for you to take on. Otherwise, mabey you could set aside a time each night to call your mom. Just knowing " All I gotta do is make it till' 7:00" will ease your anxiety a bit. Hang in there[img]smileys/smilies_01.gif[/img]
    \"Life is what happens when you are busy making other plans\"-John Lennon

hiya, that could have been written about me, what you described is exactly what im going through. I am 19 also and have just moved away from home for university, i am only 19 miles from home but it is still very hard, i understand how you feel. Are you working or studying at the moment? Emet does make studying hard for me but in a way all the work helps to keep my mind off it at times.

As you start to make friends, you will start to feel better. It is hard to be away from your comfort zone and not only are you away from home, but also far from family. I just moved away from home a couple of months ago and my emet really started acting up. but I went online and found a couple of groups in town that shared similar interest and now, getting involved with a couple of groups that do the things I like to do (I joined a book club and a gourmet cooking club) I feel better. I also agree with Swiftette...set aside a time to talk to your mom, dad or whoever at home makes you feel better and more secure. It will be tough for alittle while, but you will feel better before you know it. Good luck. susan

Thanks guys i do appreciate this loads. I work dont study but because of the heat here (australia) compared to home (uk) that also makes me a little ill from time to time and my emet tends to act up. Today i had a panic attack cause i felt ill and i hid in the staff toilet for an hour. How ridiculous. Making new friends and doin new things does take my mind off it but as i prob said at night when i am alone is when it usually sets in.