Welcome to the International Emetophobia Society | The Web's Largest Meeting Place for People With Emetophobia.

Default Tips for hairdresser anxiety

Going to the hairdressers today for my yearly re-dye. I'm usually fine because my partner comes along to keep me company (and keep me from going insane) but this is the first year he'll be away. I'm overthinking everything. I hate the idea of being stuck in a chair for almost two hours without being allowed to leave. I guess it's the sense of control being taken out of hands which is making me super anxious.

Anyone got any tips for high anxiety in these cases? I'm taking my phone to try and distract myself with games. But I know the anxiety is going to bring physical symptoms which will scare me and throw me into a panic attack! also can't stop worrying about stomach viruses floating around... guaranteed I'll get the overly extrovert hairdresser who'll tell me all about her kids throwing up last night!!

Default Re: Tips for hairdresser anxiety

I get anxious sometimes in the stylist's chair too, I think because I feel trapped and also on display. Two techniques have helped me. First, I tell myself that I'm just sitting in a chair, and it's no different from sitting in a chair at home. Second, and this is weird but it has helped, I pretend that I'm an extra in a movie being filmed about a salon, and so I try to look cute, sit up straight, flip through a magazine, sip water, etc., and other things that a typical person would do in a salon! And, of course, slow, deep breathing at all times. Good luck.

Oh my gosh I get the same way that's so crazy! I don't even like a trim because i can't leave if i want to. How did your color go?

Bring a book and you'll be fine! Really! Your hairdresser won't care if you're reading. Or do you have an iPad? Do you like sonic the hedgehog? Download it or some other game and play. The time will fly