Welcome to the International Emetophobia Society | The Web's Largest Meeting Place for People With Emetophobia.

Thread: bug at work

i've been doing great with my phobia lately, i almost thought i was over it, but now i feel like i'm back on track because of something that happened at work.

on thursday (now 4 days ago) my boss called me and asked if i could come to work 3 hours earlier than usual. (i usually work from 5 pm). when i got to work it turned out i had to step in for one of the other girls at work because she was feeling sick, and she had already vomited two times in the bathroom when i came to take over. i didn't freak out then, just washed my hands alot and of course stayed way out of the toilet.
    then, when i got to work yesterday, one of the other girls i work with told me she too had been sick with a stomach virus during the weekend and that it was probably a bug going around at work. when i got home from work last night i started feeling realy nervous. i hadn't been using the toilet at work, but still i had been in the environment and touching all the same things as they had been touching and i had also been smoking sigarettes without washing my hands first.
    today i called my boss and said i was sick even though i'm not. i just can't go to work or think about anything right now. the only thing i can do is sitting home, thinking about wether i feel sick or not. i have heard that if you are infected by a stomach virus, you will get sick within 48 hours. therefore i sit here and count the hours. almost done with 20 of them now.. this is just so boring and meaningless and frightening. i can't do anything fun because i can't let go of the control. i know i have the opportunity to just go to work and think about other stuff, but of some reason i just can't this time. don't you all hate this?
    anyway, i'm so thankfull i have the opportunity to spend the next 28 hours with you guys.

I know exactly what you mean, a girl in my flat was sick last night and as soon as I found out this morning that she was ill, I started to feel sick, mostly with worry that I'd get a bug. I don't even know if she has a bug, no one else has it, it might be food poisoning, but I still panic and worry all the time if I'm going to get it. I also count down the hours, and I lay awake and worry worst at night. It seems so stupid being afraid of a natural human process, I don't even know why I'm so afraid. *Arms self with anti-bacterial spray, rubber gloves and gas mask*

You should wash your hands before smoking.

thanx alot for your support and advices. i will wash my hands before i smoke sigarettes from now on. anyway, i am now "done" with my 48 hours and nothing happened, and elfinn; i hope you're done with yours too.