Welcome to the International Emetophobia Society | The Web's Largest Meeting Place for People With Emetophobia.

Default When people say "something is going around at the moment"

Hi guys,

I really panic when people say this kind of thing. I go out a lot into public and do my best to eat out and use public bathrooms and when I hear things like that I find it so hard as you may understand. My brothers girlfriend works in a child care center and said a *sv is going around there and that messed with my head and then I heard Serena Williams was not well in the Australian Open tennis. It just scares me. If anyone can shed some light on this please do.

Thank you, hope you are having a good one.
    Last edited by stopthissong; 02-01-2015 at 03:02 AM.

Default Re: When people say "something is going around at the moment"

I get like this too. The second I hear someone say something is "going around," I feel a wave of panic run through my body. I see that you are from Sydney, so think of it the way I do (I live the USA- in Chicago.) We live in HUGE cities with hundreds of thousands of people- SOMEONE is bound to be ill with SOMETHING at any given time. Your chances of getting something are the same weather 5 people have something or 500 people do.

Default Re: When people say "something is going aroun at the moment"

Ugh that freaks me out too! I instantly want to run and hide and stay home after bathing in bleach! I wish people would be more specific too, I'm always relived when they're talking about a cold or whatever. When they say sv I immediately wash my hands and continue to until raw and weeks later until I stop hearing about it. And I always get so angry at myself for not being more careful!

Default Re: When people say "something is going aroun at the moment"

I'm the same, and also live in a big city so I just try and tell myself that of course someone somewhere will have 'it' but it doesn't mean it has to reach me and my family/people close to me.
    It's really hard though and them words are the worst!
    Even when I had a SV and a doctor confirmed it by saying 'it's the SV that's going around a lot ATM' I panicked more just for the fact he said it's going around even though I already had it lol! I think it's the words that are triggering!

I'm also the same when I hear celebrities have a SV.... And it's so irrational as it's not like we can catch it through the TV or magazines, just the thought that someone somewhere is going through it is terrifying (to me anyway).
    X