Welcome to the International Emetophobia Society | The Web's Largest Meeting Place for People With Emetophobia.

Red face It's all over my house!

Hello all!! I posted a thread in another section the other day about my sister and her boyfriend (who are staying with me) having SV.
    Monday morning soon as my sister got sick i grabbed my kid and left. There is a chance my sister will be leaving within the next few days, how convenient. haha
    BUT I don't know when i want to go home as i read the virus can live on surfaces for 2 weeks or more.... My mom thinks im ridiculous but obviously will let me stay. It terrifies me to even go in and clean, or even bring my dog up here after they leave, she can carry the virus too. I think i sound crazy even on emet terms.
    I have hit the 72 hour mark this morning so my anxiety has gone down a lot. *knock on wood*
    but my sons bathroom is the bathroom they have been using and i do not want him getting sick or me getting sick. I want zero chances of it. I am just overwhelmed with the amount of cleaning that needs to be done. Their bedroom, bathroom, my sons room, hallway, living room, kitchen, laundry room, pantry. Agh!! i feel like i wont even be at peace of mind for a month, then i might feel comfortable in my own home! yikes!! I also read that the virus thrives in cooler temps, i live in Pennsylvania, sooo its freezing outside and if im not home i was going to turn the thermostat down, but maybe ill turn it up and fry those litte freakin germs!! hahahha.
    oh my i have officially lost my dang mind!!
    Advice?

Default Re: It's all over my house!

Hii I'm not really great at advice but just wanted to wish you the best!
    I'm sure germs can't linger on surfaces for that long so even while you are cleaning you should be fine! Why don't you buy one of them nurses masks things to put over your mouth and nose and also use rubber gloves while you are doing the cleaning just to keep your anxiety a little more at ease. I noticed they sell the nurse masks in the chemist the other day really cheap and was tempted to buy one but then thought I would probably end up wearing it everywhere haha!
    Just a suggestion
    I have to admit I would probably be anxious about the cleaning too if I were in your position but some positive news for you is that my mum was always the one doing the cleaning when anyone got sick in our house and she never once caught anything
    Bleach, bleach & more bleach & keeping your hands clean as usual & I'm certain you and your son will be fine
    X

Just to update I was at my house yesterday and I cleaned the kitchen and the bathroom they used, with the exception of the toilet, I dumped bleach in it and told asked my sister to clean it. Everything I cleaned was with lots of bleach. I left after that I still feel quite anxious about going home since when they were sick they were on my couch and really all over the house. It's been about 9 days since they started feeling better and 11 since they first got sick.
    I feel crazy but don't want to have made it this far just to catch it from something on the surfaces.
    I read online the norovirus can live 2 weeks on surfaces and probably forever in the ffreezer, when my sister was sick she was in and out of the freezer getting freeze pops. Now I'm afraid of touching everything in there.

Hi Jessi,

I don't think it's crazy- leaving it 2 weeks (if that's an option) is a good idea. You could clean out the freezer, although it takes a lot of time an effort! Maybe you could buy some virucidal wipes to wipe down the freezer products and shelves.

I hope you're ok and stay well.

When my husband had the sv I felt the same way at first..overwhelmed by the cleaning. But for me, it was actually therapeutic to get it done. Break the work down room by room, and maybe make a list if what needs to be cleaned in each room. I uses bleach as well, in a spray form on surfaces and diluted liquid bleach to scrub the floors. I used Lysol III BRAND to spray down the sofa and chair my husband had slept on while sick.I also used long, disposable cleaning gloves and mask when I cleaned everything. I washed all blankets and his clothes in HOT water in my laundry machine. Hope this helps-you can do it!
    Last edited by mmilden; 02-16-2015 at 08:43 PM.