Welcome to the International Emetophobia Society | The Web's Largest Meeting Place for People With Emetophobia.

Thread: Worried

I work in a school and on Friday lunchtime one of the Classroom Assistants went home because she felt like she was going to v*. She was ill all weekend and had Monday off, but came back yesterday still feeling sick. At the end ofthe day I saw her mopping the floor and cleaning a few lunch boxes so I presumed someones lunch box had leaked and offered to help her. She said 'No Hayley it's fine i can manage,' and I thought something was strange so I asked if someones lunch box had leaked and she admitted one of the children had been sick all over the lunch box troley. This child had told me that they felt ill at lunchtime and i had told them to get some fresh air and see how they go. I felt so guilty last night that I cried because she must have felt really ill and i dismissed her. Then today the teaching assistants that was ill said she had been sick again this morning but felt a lot better, another learning support assistant came to work even though sh weas sick last night and one of the children in the class I work in was sick yesterday but back today. I am terrified. I am convinced I am going to catch it and constantly want to be scrubbing my hands. I have been doing really well since my wedding and really don't want to go back to how I was earlier on in the year but I just keep thinking how can I not catch it when it's everywhere.
    Today is the tomorrow I dreaded yesterday and I\'m ok.

Ever feel like noone cares?!?

Hi Hale-

First off, don't worry about sending a child out to get some air, and then her being sick afterwards. It's hard to tell with kids whether they are 'sick' sick, or aren't feeling well because they were cooped up in a hot classroom, are tired, etc. There was no way for you to know, and I was raised under the motto that if you feel sick, try to stick it out and if it doesn't go away then do something about it (if I felt sick in the morning, I was always sent to school and told to call during the first recess if I still felt ill- there was only 1 time that this happened and I actually had to call).

Second, the good news seems to be that what's going around in your school goes through the system quick. It's not a scary dehabilitating illness that lingers Just be your usual vigilant self, and maybe get some lysol antibacterial spray anddo a run of it when the kids are out for recess.

Good luck and keep strong- don't make this end up as a set-back if you were doing well!

*amber*

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Lysol is amazing and it is simple to do when the kids are out of the room. It really does work and use that GERMX and wipes for you when you can't wash regularly..they really work well also and you will build up immunities to all this stuff being there and you won't catch it. I know it is really stressful. I have a son in pre-school and I waited until he was 3 1/2 to send him since I was so afraid of what he would catch. Well, he has caught 2 things in less than once month, but I managed to not catch the SV or the bad cough thing that did cause him to V* a lot as well. You can do this, and you must keep your hands away from eyes, mouth and nose and wash your hands a lot and after touching anything!!!! I am so overly careful and I have hands with scabs all over them. I feel like a fool since I wash after touching even door knobs here at home, but I do it and I go nuts when my child doesn't scrub his hands too...my fear is I don't want him to turn into an EMET so I try to make V*ing no big deal when he does it and I panic later when I'm alone. My husband really is wonderful and helps when my son is s*, but he laughs at my hand washing and scrubbing all over with lysol. I even wipe the sofa down with lysol wipes.

TRY to live each day like it were your last

Thank you so much for the reasurrance. I have washed my hands regularly with anti bacterial soap and just keep crossing my fingers that I will escape. Hopefully the cold weather we are having will kill off a lot of the horrible bugs and virus' that are going round. thanks again.

Now the little boy I work with has IT. He was off school today but his sister thinks he will be back tomorrow. I am sooooo scared because I work so closely with him. I have really missed him today but as he only started being sick this morning I don't wangt to work with him tomorrow. Knowing me if he does turn up I will do my job and work with him then fret for the next week. HELP!

That is such a cute purple smiley pillow thing. Put a smile on my face.

Other than that I don't have anything productive to add except I think
    you did the right thing by staying far away and I like Gubba's ideas.

Thanks. Hannah found it for me.

The boy I work with didn't come to school today. I spoke to his mum on the phone and he is ok but still not eating so she decided to keep him off but he should be back tomorrow. BUT one of the teachers was up all night V*ing and had the morning off but insisted on coming to school as she has got parents evening tonight. Am really really worried, especially as I spoke to her yesterday afternoon and apprently she was already feeling sick at that time. I cannot cope with this.

Wow, that's quite a sick school you have there! I have to say that you are doing great with everything that is going on. I probably would have called in for a week or two until everything passed!

Just remember - you don't have to get it. As long as you stick to the emet rules you should be fine. Make sure you don't touch your face, wash your hands before you eat, and I would try to avoid the restrooms at the school if at all possible since that is where the biggest germ infestation is. I never got sv growing up while I was in school and I thinka big part ofitis because I never used the school restrooms so I was exposed to less.

You will be fine! It has to be about to the end of it's course by now. Whoever is going to get is has had it, has it, or will have it soon and the rest of you will be fine!

thank you so much for taking the time to reassure me. I am soooooooooo with you on avoiding the toilets. I never use them myself and if I have to go in with the boy I work with I wash my hands about 10 times. I am just soooooo worried. Its taking the staff a lot longer to get over than the children. The kids seem to be better the next day but one member of staff started v*ing on the Friday and finished on the Tuesday so it really made her ill.

It just gets worse. Today another child was sick at school in the classroom opposite the one I work in. It really is a horrible bug and must be very contagious and i am just so so scared.

OK, so people don't seem to want to respond to my posts (except Amber, gubba and sillygirl - thank you!) but I need to write it down. We had a staff training day today and have got another one tomorrow. I felt sick for the first 3 hours today but then it eased off. Now I have come home and I feel terrible. My stomach is churning and I am trying not to panic buts it is so hard. I gave my friend Suzie a lift to and from the course and she is very prone to sickness bugs.She also cleaned up the v* at work yesterday so I am terrified she will catch it and pass it on to me if I don't catch it before then. At lunch time she said she felt ill but said it was just her cold but i don't know. I am just so scared and want to starve myself, scrub my hands and lock myself away.

how are u feeling now?

hale - the way i think about it is, if you didnt get it from the first kid - youre good to go. you would have gotten it already. if you didnt get it from the first person who was sick, why would youget it from the last?
    One day your life will flash before your eyes. Make sure its worth watching.

Hey to me it seems like whatever you're doing is really working for you! So just keep doing it! The ONLY added advice i could give is to please TRY (as best as you can) to keep from getting so worried and scared, because that can lower your immune system. And it seems like you have a VERY good one right now!! :-)
    For God has not given us a spirit of fear; but of power and of love and of a sound mind. 2 Timothy 1:7

Thank you so much. I am feeling ok but not looking forward to next week in case it's more of the same. I think at this time of year the kids and staff get really run down so thats why so many people have had it, and I can feel myself getting more and more tired so I am trying to have a restful weekend. I have bought some more handwash so I will keep on using that. I can't wait until we break up for the holidays!

Hale, I know excactly how you feel and I hope and think you will be fine. I'm actually a situation like that too at the moment. Last week and the week before that three girls at my work had the sv*, and I've felt n* in 14 days now. Right now it's really bad, but I think it's just my period. All my friends are at a party tonight but I stay home eating ginger. This time of the year really sucks. I almost thought I was getting rid of my phobia this summer but now it's all comming back. Anyway, we just have to try to think positive thoughts and say to ourselves that the n* is just our nerves. Good luck with your hole situation.

Thank you. You too! You think your safe from one exposure then someone else gets it!!!! Nightmare!

Hi Hale where ru from? Im from Sheffield. I feel totally the same as u. If someone has been ill then u just think you will also get it. Mymum is a teacher and theres always a bug going round. This time last year over xmas my parents friends were ill, then all their kids were ill. My mum was ill boxing day and fine the nexy day, my dad was ill on the 28th. So I was petrified for weeks. My brothers never go it and when I went back to work Id hardly eaten a thing after xmas in case. On 4th Jan I had d* real bad all day and night but was never sick. I much prefer it like that! Im worried the same will happen this year. I remember dates when people or myself are sick.

Wow, you sound so much like me. I do the dates thing too. I am from Staffordshire so I am not that far away. My friend Suzie was sick all day yesterday but was still at work today. I knew she would get it, she always does but I was petrified about giving her lifts on Thursday and Friday. I amke myself do these thibngs and then worry for days. We only had 1 away today but the year below where 2 of the kids have been sick at school had about 4 or 5. Thats better thyan the 7 or 8 that we have had away for the last 2 weeks but means most of the kids have had it so t must be pretty contagious. Thanks so much for responding to my most anyway. It really helps to know I am not alone, although I would not wish it on my worst enemy!

Hi again. No worries like u say its nice to share our worries! Strange as they are! I cant believe still now how many people this effects did u know that it is the 5th most common phobia in the world? Wow I cant believe that. Its really good to talk to people about it too. Glad you're from England as well Im not alone over here!