Welcome to the International Emetophobia Society | The Web's Largest Meeting Place for People With Emetophobia.

Default Situation on train...

Hi, I've been so well recently but today something rather unpleasant happened which has taken me back to the bad days. (And I ask for your help )

I got on the train today (underground tube) and it smelt of s*. I thought I was imagining it (this sometimes happens) when I suddenly saw it on the floor 1 metre from me. I ran off the train as soon as. As I recall, I took 3-4 breaths of the smell, I don't know how long it had been there, the cause, the train felt so hot and stuffy... I keep going over the situation in my head, ultimately, will I get it?

This is the first time I've felt this anxious in a while. It took be by surprise today. I didn't touch any surfaces in the train. From your experience and knowledge, please be honest with me, do you think I'll get it? And how long is the risk period for?

Thanks for reading/responding.

Hay.

Default Re: Situation on train...

I sincerely think that you will be OK. Variations of the scenario you described have happened to me either on the subway (underground train here in NYC) or in subway stations, and yes, it's really the worst! So disgusting and upsetting. But from what I understand, the "particles" really have to be airborne from "splattering" immediately after the act took place, or, if someone had disturbed the puddle (ugh). But if it was just sitting there, I don't see any way particles could've been in the air. To use another example to put it in perspective, let's say someone coughed up some contagious phlegm and left it on the train floor. I don't think that is a contagion if it just sits there untouched. It has to be in the air in droplets. Same as the V. Plus, you don't know for sure that the person who left that vile puddle was ill. Maybe they were drunk, or ate too much, pregnant, had a non-contagious disease, etc.

Thanks for the reply and reassurance. Yes, it was a really horrible situation! This is why I very much dislike public transport. I hope they clean it up well with bleach.

You're brave for setting foot on the tube, lol. I live in London too and avoid it. Luckily I don't work in Town so don't have to do a commute... There is no chance you would have caught something from a pile of v*, it's unpleasant, but not contagious.... Which part of London are you in?

Hi, thanks for the reassurance. Public transport is definitely a fear of mine! You never know what to expect and I don't want to think about the germs which populate the surfaces. (I hate touching any hand rail!) I don't actually live in London right now, I commute there daily for uni. Which part are you in?

Deleted....
    Last edited by sweet; 02-21-2015 at 06:49 AM.

I walked past a huge pile of fresh v* twice today- once when I was walking to work and just now when I was walking back to the station. It's disgusting isn't it. I was worried this morning because it was raining and I couldn't see where I was going and very nearly stepped in it. I think my foot may even have caught the edge but I'm not sure. Anyway I've had an identical situation as yours happen to me (pile of b* when I got on the train) and I quickly got off in a panic. They should stop the service and clean it up straight away if that happens. It's environmental health and not nice for anyone never mind us emets x