Welcome to the International Emetophobia Society | The Web's Largest Meeting Place for People With Emetophobia.

Default Absolutely losing my mind.

My baby nice was sick for about a day yesterday, v twice, but after that was fine. I avoided like the plague, and kept myself sanitized and everything around me, and she's been completely fine today. Today i pick up my other niece (5 years old) from school, have her in my car, hold her hand in the parking lot, and also help her with her homework, shes completely fine all day. Just now, her and her father both v and i'm now freaking out. I'm very good about sanitizing my hands and doorknobs and such in my house, but today i was a little relaxed due to the baby feeling better. I'm absolutely losing my mind that I may now get sick and V too. I'm truly debating living on my own, and being a recluse to avoid these situations.

Default Re: Absolutely losing my mind.

I'm going to assume you live with them? Do you have your own bathroom?

Really, your best defense is good hygiene. Wash your hands well, avoid touching your mouth if you haven't washed your hands, sanitize the bathroom and common surfaces with bleach. Odds are, you'll be fine.

i lived with an aunt and uncle when I was about 22 - they has just adopted their son, he was about 2. There was an AWFUL bug that ravaged his whole daycare room and I was on edge about him getting it. He did and it was miserable, but my aunt is a clean freak (and I had a private bathroom nobody used but me) and we all avoided getting it. So, it can be done

I do live with them, and do not have my own bathroom, but i've avoided being in the bathroom at all costs, even going outside (#1 only of course). Everyone in my house has become ill now, with my mother starting just a couple hours ago. I'm a pretty big clean freak, but i was a bit relaxed yesterday about it, since my baby niece had felt better, i thought the worst was over. Since this began last night, i've called out of work and skipped class today, keeping my door locked with lysol in my hand. So far i'm the only person to not get sick in the house of 7.

Is there a friend you can stay with? You can't avoid the bathroom forever - you'll have to shower eventually and with 7 people in the house it could be a good number of days before you find the bathroom "safe" enough. Is there, by chance, more than one bathroom in the house at all? If there is, could you designate one of them yours for the duration? Sorry this is happening

That sounds like a real nightmare of a situation and I'm really sorry to hear about it, I can't even begin to imagine how awful it must be to have 6 people ill in the house with you. Having said that however, as Shubertgoddess says, there are some basic things that you can do to prevent yourself from getting ill. The first and most obvious is to avoid touching your face or mouth or eating without washing your hands first. Avoiding the people in your house that are ill, and if possible, it might be worth seeing if you could use the bathroom at a friends house, or maybe even stay there for a few days. Even a public restroom might be a safer option as these get cleaned regularly, at least until the people in your house stop being ill and the bathroom has been cleaned with bleach

Just remember though that many of us here have survived in tact from having family members go down with bugs and illness, it can be done! Hang on in there and try to keep calm, you can make it through this and we're all here to support you!