Welcome to the International Emetophobia Society | The Web's Largest Meeting Place for People With Emetophobia.

Default Possible Exposure!

GOD! It seems like the damn bug is all around me lately! Anyways, my little sister had diarrhea for the whole weekend, so I thought it was just some kind of stomach problem (She has a lot of problems, she gets pneumonia 2-3 times every year...), but then today I heard she v* this morning. Ok, a little panicky, but I though I was ok because I was leaving for school and going to my moms. At the end of the day when my mom picked me up, she said that my sister came home because she didn't feel good. O, panic mode enabled. I looked back to see what I touched that my little sister touched, and it's not really a lot, but still has consideration. I touched her iPad once, and ate a pepper that she gave me on friday (It might have been last week, don't remember). Other than that I've been pretty isolated from her. Do I have a risk of getting it? My other sister hasn't thrown up... yet... so I can't get it from her.

Default Re: Possible Exposure!

First of all I'm sorry to hear about your situation and likewise you're sister's illness, I hope that she's feeling better asap!

Ok, so let's take a look through what you said. You mention that you ate a pepper that she gave you on Friday, possibly a week before though, there's definitely no risk from that since she only started showing symptoms on the weekend. Now the risk of you catching anything from the iPad is similarly small, even though she might have touched it when she was ill, the only way it could have been contaminated would be if she hadn't washed her hands after using the bathroom when she was ill, and I doubt that's what she did.

I know that it's hard to believe it in these situations but your overall risk is very low, you've done everything right so far, isolated yourself from her and been careful with washing your hands. Providing you make sure that you wash your hands before touching your face, or eating then the risk is already incredibly low. You can lower that risk even further by keeping away from her whilst she's ill which you have done and so I would say that it is enormously unlikely that you would be ill, even though the odds might seem stacked against you at first.

I know it's tempting to think back to every little thing that you touched that she has but doing that is a rather pointless exercise to be honest and it will only serve to make you more anxious, try to avoid it if you can (I know it's one thing to say it and another to do it, but give it your best shot :P). The only real risk would be if you had been in the same room as her whilst she was v*, or if you had been to the bathroom after her and not washed your hands. Neither of which you say has happened so really, you'll be fine

I hope your sister makes a speedy recovery and that your anxiety passes soon, hang on in there, it will all be over soon!