Welcome to the International Emetophobia Society | The Web's Largest Meeting Place for People With Emetophobia.

Default i caught norovirus, did *it*,and i think my phobia got better! (POSSIBLY TRIGGERING)

before you read this, i'm one of those people who's phobic about throwing up myself. in fact, i'm VERY phobic and i have been since i was five years old but the last few years i've been trying not to let it rule my life too much. in fact, i haven't thrown up in 11 years even though i have more or less daily nausea because of anxiety, i've gotten really drunk, done drugs, had surgery...a lot of things that would make a non-emet throw up, so it's like i started thinking of myself as a person physically unable to do it. i still have more or less daily panic attacks because of the phobia though, and i'm extremely cautious about food. i think you all can relate.

I broke my 11 year streak, and to be honest, in hindsight i couldn't be happier about it!

anyway, this wednesday i went to my neighbor to buy eggs (they own chicken) and we talked for a while. before i left, she mentioned that she had a terrible stomach flu a few days ago.
    I got home, washed my hands, and i tried not to worry about this too much because I've actually never caught it, nor have i had a stomach virus for 17 years so i kind of assumed i'm one of those people who are immune to it.

i started feeling a bit nauseaous and gross the next day (thursday), i woke up at 5 am with nausea and a panic attack which is nothing unusual for me. then on the friday morning, it happened again. i woke up shaking and sick, popped some anti-emetics and called my friend on skype. usually, the nausea goes away when i burp and it rarely lasts for more than an hour.

by 6 am, it had gotten worse. i couldn't stand up anymore, because i had this disgusting lump in my throat and i could hardly even swallow. i called my mom, thankfully she was not going to work so we could talk. i had a very intense panic attack, i tried every trick (chewing on ice, ginger, chewing gum, mint leaves, fresh air) but the nausea got worse and worse. it was different from the regular anxiety-nausea even though i was still panicing so hard i couldn't breathe, screaming-crying, scratching my legs until i drew blood. my mom was there to talk me through it though, and it really helped (I love her so much!)

the more time went on, the pain and discomfort got so intense at this point, i would rather have someone pour rubbing alcohol into a wound than experience this again! my mind started to shift, and i think i somehow started to make peace with the fact that i might vomit, because anything is better than the feeling of actual, intense nausea (it's different from anxiety nausea)
    it was so painful and such a revolting feeling, i can't remember the last time i experienced something that made me feel so bad (physically)

by 9 am, after having fought this for four hours, i couldn't do it anymore. i was so tired (I only had two hours of sleep before i woke up and groggy with sleeping medication and panic attack exhaustion) and i can also admit that a part of me was curious to how vomiting actually feels like, i realized i couldn't even remember the feeling i was so afraid of and now i was probably really close to it.

i grabbed a bucket and let it happen. it was hard to relax and let my body do it's thing, i will admit, it was disgusting, my eyes teared up, my stomach cramped so badly, i lost my breath for a few moments. but it was strangely reliving. the panic attack is A LOT worse, but i have to say that the nausea is the worst. my mom was actually on the phone with me, and cheered me on while it happened, "you can do it! you're really strong!" since she knows how debilitating this phobia is for me.

afterward, i was almost euphoric and i was left with a feeling of "that was it? it wasn't worse than this?"
    it was like a relevation, i can't explain it.

i brushed my teeth, but i was still feeling sick when i got into bed and tried to sleep. the nausea got worse and worse, and instinctively i knew it was going to happen again so i made sure to drink lots of water so i wouldn't just retch. three hours later, it did happen again. this time, i had no panic or even anxiety about it. it was more relieving than anything else, and the worst feeling was probably 15 minutes before it was going to happen. i learned that my puke threshold is really high, it takes a lot of nausea for it to happen (last time when i was 16, i was nauseaous for three days before i gave in)

after a while, the diarrhea started and it was followed by a headache, muscle aches and a fever. my dad dropped by with some electrolyte drinks, and some bananas. i spent most of the day in bed and on the toilet, and i haven't been this sick in years.

today, i'm feeling better. i still feel weak, nauseaous (and i'm very smelly and gross from fever sweat) and incredibly tired but i can't help but to have a weird sense of gratitude of what happened to me. norovirus is literally my biggest nightmare, and i survived!
    my emetophobia is one of the biggest things that prevents me from living a full life, and it's a constant source of anxiety for me so i really i hope i can carry this feeling with me and remember that vomiting actually wasn't so bad, and most importantly, that i could do this alone. i was on my own the whole time, and i could take care of myself. the fear of the vomiting itself is a thousand times worse, which is really easy to tell yourself until you actually get nauseaous, but it's something i experienced as truth.

as i said, my phobia was (is?) pretty severe, so i hope this can serve as an inspiration for others and i truly hope that everyone reading this gets to experience something that lessens your phobia

Default Re: i caught norovirus, did *it*,and i think my phobia got better! (POSSIBLY TRIGGERI

Wow BadMojo!!! Well done on getting through this and with such a positive attitude. I can just imagine how proud with yourself you must be. Bet you feel like the bravest person ever Im struggling with bad n* at the moment and believe me when I tell you I am NOT coping half as well as you did.

Default Re: i caught norovirus, did *it*,and i think my phobia got better! (POSSIBLY TRIGGERI

You're an inspiration to us all BadMojo, you truly are. Thank you so much for sharing your story with us, I do truly hope that this milestone marks a huge step in your recovery from emetophobia. Thank you again for sharing, and reminding me that there is hope
    The frog has retired. Occasionally he reads PMs, when he isn't hopping around happily from one lily pad to another. He wishes you all the very best, and hopes that you find the archive of his posts informative.

thank you so much for the kind words!

I feel like i can take on the world now, like nothing can stop me. I'm still a bit scared that the fear will come back (since it did after the other times i vomited) so I'm trying to meditate on this, analyze, reflect and think about it so I can really remember this feeling. I have (hopefully) matured a lot since I was 16, so i think it's easier for me now to keep this experience with me in a positive manner. norovirus is NOT the end of the world, i just thought it was and in my brain i put it on the same level as a death sentence. now, it almost feels like i have laughed death in the face!

because here I am two days later, enjoying solid food and the spring sunshine on my face, and it even feels like my depression has been partially lifted from me

I think i will always be a bit anxious regarding nausea and vomiting (perhaps because nausea has such strong anxiety-connection for me, and i also have IBS/dyspepsia) but I feel determined now not to let this rule my life anymore. I'll always be careful with hand washing, and never eat food that's been sitting out for too long, etc, but IF this would happen again i know i can survive it again, and just knowing that is such an incredible feeling

wow, good job. reading your story was terrifying and also inspiring. you made it through and seem so much happier. HUGS HUGS HUGS.

VERY inspirational and awesome for you!! You are thinking positively and coped soooo well. How brave you've been. I wish I was at that point. I can't even imagine all that. But I am so happy for you. Keep us posted on how you're feeling the next few weeks or so...hugs.

Thank you for sharing your inspirational story! It almost brought a tear to my eye. You are so brave! I envy you. I've been in a similar position while ill and fought like crazy not to throw up and didn't. But I wish I had.

thank you all <3
    it's been a little over a week since it happened, and i'm a bit frustrated that the fear seems to trickle back little by little. when i felt better and stopped being contagious i went to my parents house, and now I'm back home alone again. it might sound weird, but i'm afraid to repeat the "routines" i did before the night i was sick, so tonight i've been really conscious about it and did all those things i get anxious from because i really want this fear gone.

i went to my neighbor to buy eggs (since that's where i caught the sickness in the first place) and i had the same food as i had the night before i threw up, i've been doing the same things. i'm going to prove to myself that i CAN get over this, i just wish i had a therapist to work with now because i feel like these following weeks are pretty critical!

i did have a bit of a success this afternoon though, i went to the supermarket after i had celebrated my sister's birthday and i think it was a mix of exhaustion and too much sweets that made me feel really nauseaous in the store. and i didn't panic! I thought "well, if i'm gonna throw up i should probably go outside on the backdoor where there's not many people looking" (i hate throwing up in the toilet, i would much do it outside or in a bucket or something)
    now, nothing more happened but i'm really happy with myself i didn't have a panic attack like i usually do in those situations

I think emet doesn't just go away, but you are clearly thinking rationally about it and that is progress that should be celebrated. the fact that you are pushing yourself (eggs) and staying out at the grocery store when you weren't feeling great is what a normal, non emet would do. that is not what most emets would do. don't beat yourself up for not being 100% better. it is a process!

I'm so happy for you! I'm envious too I had a sv 4.5 years ago that was mostly d and one time v. I just had a bad tummy ache all day and haven't ever yet experienced the really bad n. I felt better after I v too, glad i had finally done it after like 14 years. My phobia 'eased' for a long time. Then I noticed maybe last summer or last fall it started to come back. My husband had a sv yesterday and I am freaking out.

You were lucky to be at home. My biggest fear is not only v but getting it at work or in public or in my car. I'm petrified to go back into work tomorrow since I'm not sure when I'm safe from not getting it from the husband. I wish I didn't care at all!! I hate this.

But thanks for your story!

I'm happy for you! I really hope you will be less worried about this phobia after this. It would be great. I didn't throw up for 10 years now and I really don't know how to deal with it when it comes. I can't imagine myself throwing up.
    "Worrying is a waste of time. It doesn't change anything, it just messes with your mind and steals your happines."

Excellent story, good job! I know I have a hard time giving into just letting it all happen...it's a problem for sure.

If I may ask, how do you think you caught the virus from your neighbor? I wash my hands like a madman and this makes me a little nervous, knowing you were exposed, washed your hands, and still got it!

Quote Originally Posted by surfer777 View Post
    Excellent story, good job! I know I have a hard time giving into just letting it all happen...it's a problem for sure.

If I may ask, how do you think you caught the virus from your neighbor? I wash my hands like a madman and this makes me a little nervous, knowing you were exposed, washed your hands, and still got it!
    I was thinking about that too.
    "Worrying is a waste of time. It doesn't change anything, it just messes with your mind and steals your happines."

Thank you so much for posting your story! I relate to EVERYTHING you mentioned. When I pick up a SV, I tend to get the D only with mild or no nausea. My fear is so heavily revolved around norovirus because in my mind I have not caught it, yet. Is this because my irrational avoidance behaviors have been working?? (Probably not). It gives me hope that if it happens, I can get through it, and maybe even alleviate this debilitating fear. Kudos to you and keep up the great work!

Quote Originally Posted by SiMama View Post
    Thank you so much for posting your story! I relate to EVERYTHING you mentioned. When I pick up a SV, I tend to get the D only with mild or no nausea. My fear is so heavily revolved around norovirus because in my mind I have not caught it, yet. Is this because my irrational avoidance behaviors have been working?? (Probably not). It gives me hope that if it happens, I can get through it, and maybe even alleviate this debilitating fear. Kudos to you and keep up the great work!
    Sounds like an extremely inspirational story. I had the same situation tonight. I got sick for the first time in 8 years. I was terrified. It started to hit me at our friends house where I needed to go home right away. I also have IBS and it first started with d. It was uncontrollable, and usually o get that when I eat something that doesn't sit well with my bowels. I had white wine with friends which is a no no for me. I avoid it like the plague because it give me gut rot. I went to the bathroom a few times and o started getting heavy nausea. Same as you it scares me the most out of anything. I was shaking uncontrollably, luckily I had my husband next to me to guide me through everything. I even tried taking 2 gravols and desire my best efforts it was coming. I decided to just let it happen and not let it happen. It took me hours before the first one came, than the second wave came an hour later. It was coming and I just concentrated on getting it all out. I am just sitting here still awaiting to see if it'll come but I am not even as nervous about it. It's ok, it's not the worst thing in the world and you feel so much better afterwards instead of sitting with waves of nausea for hours. I hope I feel better soon and I hope that I can live my life freeier like you. Woohoo we can battle this together!!!

Wow!! Big congratulations to everyone who is pulling through their illnesses with strength! You guys are awesome!!!

We're all thinking of you - keep us posted!! I'm praying that with time, we'll all be non-emets!

Blessings,
    DogLover8

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Yes congratulations to us all. We pulled through it and it's made us stronger.

This made me smile, and tears welled up :') you give me hope! I have been battling emetophobia for 20 years (since I was about 5) and it's gotten better and worse over the years. You are so brave, and I am so grateful that you shared this with us! Makes the biggest fear seem less big. I have to agree that the fear and nausea and impending doom is way worse then the actual event!

Quote Originally Posted by surfer777 View Post

i might have touched my face (small risk) or it was on the eggs/egg carton i got (actually i'm pretty sure it's that). i'm pretty sure you'll be fine as long as you don't bring items in your home that's belonged to a sick person you'll be fine. i heard from my neighbor later on that their whole family had been sick, so it was probably all over the place. and no offence, but they keep their house pretty dirty...so i'm sure the virus had a lot of surfaces to thrive.

thank you everyone for the positive vibes and nice comments <3!
    I'm so glad to hear others with the same experience, it gives me so glad that we all can beat this together!

I'm no longer on this forum much at all because my phobia has became so much better now. I don't have panic attacks as often anymore, because i don't get triggered by nausea. which i still have from time to time but it doesn't cause me to think the world is gonna end anymore because I keep the thought with me that vomiting isn't the worst thing that can happen. I've started to shift my way of thinking about nausea, and now it's more on a headache-level nuisance than something that strikes me with deep terror and dread. which causes the nausea to leave faster, because you don't have anxiety like gasoline to the flames.

i'm a lot less fixated on vomiting in general now, and i do believe that this has contributed to my depression slowly getting better. I feel more fulfilled, less heavy, happier perhaps? and I truly wish moments to relieve the fear (perhaps not the act itself, but something to relieve the anxiety revolving it) will come upon every emet when the time is ready. I believe in you!

Congrats on making it through! It's so frustrating that actually vomiting doesn't take away our fear for good. We'll get a good few weeks, but then it will always come back. I think once those connections are hard wired into our heads, it's not an easy break. We can hope it comes back not as strongly! And we always have the power not to let it take over our lives. It's not curable, but it's manageable. Great job!!!
    -Jenni

"Look for love and evidence that you're worth keeping." PJ

The "losing my breath for a few moments" part scared me. I haven't done it in so long, but I know it feels something like choking from what I do remember. I've heard people say to "take a deep breath first". I am so really proud of you, and almost envious. I was envious of my ex-husband who would do it in a heartbeat if he felt n. He said the n was worse and v makes the n go away. When I told him about my phobia he said, (AND I HOPE THIS HELPS SOME OTHERS)..."you mean you just don't look at it as a natural body function"? Its JUST t-up! I was in awe of his attitude regarding it.