Welcome to the International Emetophobia Society | The Web's Largest Meeting Place for People With Emetophobia.

Default Norovirus season ends April 16th!

I recently posted a little breakdown of the latest Norovirus infection data on another support group, but so many people found it useful I thought I would post it here too, just in case anybody is interested.

For all of you longing for the Norovirus season to finally end, you'll be pleased to hear that lab confirmed cases have finally begun to fall over the last few weeks. We're currently seeing about 30% fewer cases this year than we did in March 2012 (one of the worst Norovirus seasons in recent years). Interestingly enough lab confirmed Noro cases are actually up 10% on this time last year...

Historically speaking, the number of new cases begin to fall dramatically around mid April, so for all of you patiently waiting for "Noro season" to finally be over, mark your calendars for the 16th April. The caption on my calendar reads "Sunglasses out, sick bowls away".

Ps. These statistics are based on UK data, but should apply globally. For any readers in the US, I've done a separate breakdown below.

Interestingly enough, the statistics show the same massive drop in outbreak rates in mid April, so keep that date on your calendar! - Norovirus infection rates in the US are actually 5% lower than they were this time last year and 10% lower than they were this time in the 2012 season.

I hope that may help some of you, not long until the end of the season
    The frog has retired. Occasionally he reads PMs, when he isn't hopping around happily from one lily pad to another. He wishes you all the very best, and hopes that you find the archive of his posts informative.

Default Re: Norovirus season ends April 16th!

Thank you so much for this! I have added it in my phone set as a reminder You are amazing.

Haha, thank you Leighs - you made me smile there! Glad I could help
    The frog has retired. Occasionally he reads PMs, when he isn't hopping around happily from one lily pad to another. He wishes you all the very best, and hopes that you find the archive of his posts informative.

I think you're forgetting about us in the Southern Hemisphere... careful, even though you're calming some people, you may be putting the fear of God into others..
    "For beautiful eyes, look for the good in others; for beautiful lips, speak only words of kindness; and for poise, walk with the knowledge that you are never alone" - Audrey Hepburn

Up until I saw your post today I had no idea you were in Australia, I thought you were American. But yes, that is something that has been on my mind

I don't have access to any lab data, but when I get chance I'll double check to make sure that the same epidemiology applies to the southern hemisphere.
    Last edited by SilentFrog; 03-09-2015 at 02:49 AM.

It seems to be going on forever this year ive been hearing about people catching it constantly since October so 6 months of hell roll on april u can't come quick enough

Thanks SilentFrog it's still raging around my village, wherever I go I hear mothers chatting about their kids throwing up, strangely it hasn't hit my college, plenty of colds and flu but no stomach viruses.

Thanks for the post SilentFrog. I come on here more often when I am in panic mode to read posts like this. This makes me feel a ton better compared to where I was five minutes ago. Thank you.

Great to hear!

Ha! I just came online to post a rant about when this damn noro season will end. I went on the dreaded Facebook and saw status after status about people catching bugs.

Just when I feel like it's calming down in the UK, it comes back in full force

CathyDavies ~ It does seem to be everywhere still doesn't it, my Facebook newsfeed has been clogged up with everybody and their children moaning about illness. But have faith in the statistics, here's a quote from the UKs latest Norovirus report (published 5th March 15)

Norovirus Laboratory reports of norovirus in the current season are eleven percent lower overall compared to the five year seasonal average (from season 2009 and 2010 to season 2013 and 2014). Currently laboratory reports are at similar levels compared to the same weeks in previous years. Reports of outbreaks of diarrhoea and vomiting in hospitals continue to be reported at similar levels to previous years.

Rotavirus activity is low; laboratory reports are sixty-two per cent lower than the ten season average(from season 2003 to 2004 to season 2012 to 2013). The decreased rotavirus activity is likely to be associated with the introduction of the oral vaccine in July 2013.
    It might not feel like the season is ending, but I promise you it is on the decline, and according to the figures, we're seeing far fewer cases this year than in previous seasons.
    Last edited by SilentFrog; 03-11-2015 at 05:55 AM.

I think noro season came late this year which is why it's hanging around into March, normally it's rife around Christmas in my area but didn't show its ugly face until late January. I also read the hpa reports that come out every Thursday on the government website, you can also check how your local hospital is coping with noro virus and how many cases they have had in the previous week if you go on the bbc website and type in nhs, you then type in your postcode and it gives you all sorts of info about your local hospital.

This post made me so happy to know that it's almost over..yayyy

Let's not give a false sense of security. Noro can be contracted at any time of year. My dad got it last May. Noro doesn't just give up and quit because of the date on the calendar.

Quote Originally Posted by mooki View Post
    Let's not give a false sense of security. Noro can be contracted at any time of year. My dad got it last May. Noro doesn't just give up and quit because of the date on the calendar.
    I was referring to "norovirus season", the time of the year at which infection rates are highest for Norovirus. After mid-April, Norovirus outbreaks drop by up to 60%. Of course the risk is never at zero, but it's a significant enough drop in infection rates for us to consider ourselves "safer" than during the Winter months

Thanks Matt! :-)