Welcome to the International Emetophobia Society | The Web's Largest Meeting Place for People With Emetophobia.

I am taking imipramine, a tricyclic antidepressant and have become pregnant. What should I do? Have seen two docs, who gave conflicting advice - one said he would want me to come off it, the other said she didn't think I should panic about coming off it straightaway and that it was really up to me what I chose to do. Not sure what to do - at the moment, I am stable thanks to the medication and don't know if it would be good for me or my baby to put myself through the withdrawal process and the potential resulting stress of a complete relapse to constant anxiety states. On the other hand, I know that taking drugs in early pregnancy can be dangerous and there is relatively little known about the effects of imipramine on the baby. Apparently, the baby can suffer from muscle spasm, irritability, hypo/hypertension in first few days if subjected to imipramine. Has anybody beeh through this situation and if so,how did you proceed and what happened? Any advicegratefully received! Thanks.

I do think that this is a totally personal decision. Only you know how you will feel if something goes wrong because of being on a medication while pregnant. There are some people who I would say may as well stay on it because they are so unstable while not on meds that they would be a danger to themselves which in turn is not good for the baby. There are others who can function decently without the meds, so why risk it? It is definitely a hard decision and there are many angles to look at it from. The medical field only learns from people being on meds while pregnant.. this is how they learn what is safe and what isn't... do you want to be a guinea pig? Also, there are people who do much worse while pregnant and sometimes seem to have healthy babies despite what they've put through the bloodstream. However, your decision should be made ASAP because these early weeks are crucial to proper development of the baby.

I will say one more thing.. I plan on becoming pregnant a year or so from now and I am already going offmyclass 3 allergy medsbecause my feelings for myself are no meds at all while pregnant. However, I would not look down at anyone who stayed on meds.. Just wanted to explain again that it is a completely personal decision.Everyone is different.. you know?
    \"This too shall pass\"

I continued my Paxil while I was pregnant, b/c my dr said that going off would be worse on me and baby. I had to come off of clonazepam and ativan (although I will admit to sneaking maybe two ativan in the pregancy) since those two can cause birth defects. I had SERIOUSwithdrawl from being addicted to those two, and those first few weeks were hell, not to mention I had pretty bad m/s!

I was told that I could not breastfeed while on Paxil, so I had decided to bottlefeel my little one. I was fortunate enough to luck out and get a midwife as a nurse while in labour. She told me that I COULD breastfeed on Paxil. Two conflicting opinions. She did some quick calls, and it turns out I could have breast fed. I was already of the mind set to bottle feed though, so I didn't. Actually, I did for about 5 minutes shortly after Isaac was born, since he was kinda dazed and confused. He would have been a great feeder too, he latched right on there, we had no problems. Next time I plan to.

If I were you, I would research on the net, and in some books. Go with your gut. IF you feel that these drugs are NOT a good thing, maybe your dr can change you to something else?????

Oh, and CONGRATULATIONS!!!!!!!!!

Crystal
    That, which does not kill us, makes us stronger!

Ditto that! Congrats!
    \"This too shall pass\"