Welcome to the International Emetophobia Society | The Web's Largest Meeting Place for People With Emetophobia.

I thought my phobia was getting better. I have even stopped taking Lexapro. Today one of my coworkers said he was sick all day Thursday and Friday. My best friend was sick Thursday and Friday and still feels like crap. I am trying so very hard to not panic and get into that crazy mindset. It is so hard. I just want to not eat anything. My husband thinks I am getting better, I can't tell him that I am having a relapse. I guess it is a little better, I am not thinking of all the ways to avoid my coworker. I hate that in America so many people have to go to work sick because of the lack of sick time given.

What am I so freakin afraid of?

Quote Originally Posted by aguerra29

What am I so freakin afraid of?

Well if you're like me, you're afraid of being trapped in the bathroom
    for days on end with uncontrollable v* & d*. If you're co-workers
    are able to go to work maybe they have something that's bad but not
    that bad or else they wouldn't be able to leave home because if
    they tried, they'd d* their pants or v* all over their car.

But why is that so scary? People do it all the time and live to tell about it. It would be so much easier to have an irrational fear of heights or claustophobia. With those phobia you just don't do the things that scare you. With this phobia, it's not that easy. It is so unfair

[img]smileys/smilies_06.gif[/img]I hear ya.....one day you think you are doing fine...and you hear one story about someone being sick....and you panic and freak out...the same thing happened to me on friday....a co worker...who works at another branch than mine...but came in to do some work...said her 17 yr old daughter had caught that sv and she was up all night with V and D both....so she was actually staying at her dad's the time it happened and so the co worker was out of danger "I guess", but it still sent me into a state of pure panic and doom and gloom............I haven't been right ever since...I am scared...crabby...snappy...just in a horrible mood....b/c of the fear of "IT" going around..........gosh i hate this emet soooooooooo bad........i feel like i take one step forward and 100 back....i don't know what the answer is to this...but as my preacher said on Sunday morning church.....when the second coming of God comes....are you ready??????? I thought to myself right then and there......Lord knows I am ready....b/c if I am going to be not sick in heaven........then that's where i want to be.......I am soooooooooooooooooooo ready to be free from this. So, I know exactly what you are going through and I know how you feel.........all we can do is keep on praying that one day we will have some peace.......
    Kate
    To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

\"I Wish I Was Still In Aruba\"

I totally know what you mean. I feel like I never think about it, and I'm fine most of the time, but the second that someone is sick, or you hear a story all my strength just goes away. It totally sucks. I mean it is really really scary. I freak out, and panic and have anxity and then I can't sleep, which only makes me think my immune system is getting weakened. My mom always tells me that i should trust my immune system, but I hear that getting the sv is a 50/50 chance. So that scares me. But I also hear that inorder to get it, you have to put the virus in your mouth. So since I wash my hands a lot, and never put them in my mouth, and we are all like that, that we are in the clear. I mean if it isnt' something that goes in your eyes or nose, you should be totally fine. My mom also tells me to be proactive. If I'm scared, clean all my "touched" surfaces, take extra vitamins, eat well, and get plenty of sleep and water. SO I try to do those things. And then there are the emet things we do like, refuse to kiss our boyfriends and husbands, and for me i make him wash his hands a lot, usually i don't, but if im scared, and i know i want to kiss him, and he doesnt want me to not let him, he knows he has to wash his hands...but i get paranois that the germs are on my clothes, and then i sit on my bed, and then they get into my bed, so i never want to kiss parts of my boyfriend in bed, when the fear is bad like that. And I hate being alone when I'm scared. We just need to stay positive.
    I love Sam
    To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Just for the record, I have never, ever heard of anyone being sick with v* and
    d* for days on end. I'm sure it's happened, but never to me or anyone I
    know.

The 1 time in my life that I was sick and v*ing to the point of dry heaving I
    went to the hospital and got an IV of an anti-emetic and they were happy to
    do it. So I guess I feel like there's only so much V*ing one has to put up with
    and although it's a small comfort I feel like there at least something I can do
    about it.

But I so sympathize with the anxiety of knowing someone who has a sv.
    Makes me nuts, like waiting to be sent to the gallows. Horrible.

Why do you fear it so much???!!!! LOL. What's not to fear! Who wants to
    suffer through such torture? People who don't fear it just don't know
    that it's such torture I think, If everyone knew about those things,
    the whole world would be an e-phobe.

Sienna, I hope I didn't let the cat out of the bag but if you haven't
    heard of any severe cases of these viruses or food poisoning yet, GOOD.
    I'll spare you the details. Trust me, it's pure torture and worth every
    calorie we burn worrying about it.

I guess i'm sorta like Sienna in that i don't know of anyone who's been THAT sick that they're on the floor in the bathroom v*ing for days on end. Sure i know you can have bouts where you're quite sick and you just stay NEAR the bathroom, but to the point where you have to stay in there..and for DAYS??? No, can't say i ever heard of that. To me, if you're THAT bad, you BETTER be in a hospital then!! I also know ppl who may have had the combo of v* and d* at the same time..which has to be horrible!! In all honesty, i rarely come across anyone who gets an SV. Usually the ppl i know get the typical flu, which has nothing to do with v*, only the respiratory kind with aches, pain, fever, wheezing..etc. It COULD be because no one in my immediate family, or friends have small children anymore.

I try my best not to let this time of year scare me. I notice how better i am when i'm not thinking about or dwelling on it and just go on with my day to day life. Oh sure, i always take the natural precautions, of washing my hands, and not touching my face, mouth, eyes, nose..without clean hands...but that, a smart non-emet would do also...it's just a SMART thing to do, period! hehe! Like my mom always said while i was growing up..."The more you worry about it, the quicker you'll get it!!!" I find that to be true, to a point.
    For God has not given us a spirit of fear; but of power and of love and of a sound mind. 2 Timothy 1:7