Welcome to the International Emetophobia Society | The Web's Largest Meeting Place for People With Emetophobia.

Default Illness in my home!

2 days ago my infant son got sick and thankfully it was short-lived, but he did have v* and d*. This continues to make me anxious because I am changing his diapers and getting exposed to the virus when I do so. Last night my husband became ill and also v*. Again the illness was short, but now I am so anxious because there are 2 people in my home who are spreading germs. I feel like my time is coming and there is nothing I can do to stop it, no matter how much I clean and wash my hands. These viruses are just so hard to control, even if you have the best intentions. I am just so anxious and afraid that I could be next! Has anyone experienced illness in their home and they themselves didn't get sick? Any words of support? I just want this to be over!

Default Re: Illness in my home!

I have! My husband and boys have had multiple sv*s over the years. Each gets AT LEAST one sv*, if not two sv*s yearly (my youngest was sick on 5 different occasions last year - OY VE!) and I've never caught them. When my oldest was little I wasn't as careful so I used to catch stuff then, but nothing since my youngest was born and I started going crazy and he's 5 1/2. Just because it's in your home doesn't mean that you're in danger of becoming ill! Good job taking care of the sickies. It's almost over!

My son had 3 different sv last year with v*. The last one, he was s* the entire night, and my husband was out of town, so I was the only one taking care of him. I caught the first two with just having d* but did not catch the really bad one. You're not doomed, just be mindful to wash your hands when necessary.

My whole family has caught the SV on at least four different occasions, in which one of them has caught it and promptly passed it to the others, but each and every one of those times I have avoided it - despite sharing a bathroom. The best ways to keep yourself safe are to just keep up with your hand hygiene, avoid eating or drinking anything that anyone s* has prepared or handled until at least 48 hours after they stop showing symptoms, avoid using any toothbrushes, makeup kits or the like that have been left exposed (not shut away in a cupboard) in the bathroom or in any area where someone has v*.

You can wipe down surfaces with Lysol or Dettol, or a diluted bleach solution - this will kill off any of the germs. If you're able to get hold of any hand sanitizer that kills viruses (not just antibacterial), then you can all use this, which will not only reduce your own chances of getting ill, but reduce the chances of anyone who is s* in the house spreading it around, giving you a bit more peace of mind as well as protection. At the very least you can ask them to simply wash their hands with soap after using the bathroom (they probably do this anyway, but make sure they use soap and rub their hands together thoroughly), this will again reduce the chances of them spreading the nasties around the house.

Other than that, perhaps they could drop a bit of bleach in the loo after they use it, that would also help a lot. But moat importantly of all, remember that many of us here have survived in this exact situation and worse, there is no reason why you can't make it through without getting ill too
    The frog has retired. Occasionally he reads PMs, when he isn't hopping around happily from one lily pad to another. He wishes you all the very best, and hopes that you find the archive of his posts informative.

I'm so grateful for your kind words and support. I'm so anxious and emotionally exhausted and I just need the next few days to fly by so I know I won't be sick and this illness will be gone from my home! Your encouragement is very helpful, thank you again!