Welcome to the International Emetophobia Society | The Web's Largest Meeting Place for People With Emetophobia.

Default Could I be exposed? Panic!!!

I'm new here, so hello everyone! So glad I found this forum.

Could someone please help me? Last night I was out with some friends and when leaving home around 2.30 am, I hugged a friend goodbye and took a few puffs from his cigarette... Well he just messaged me that he's been v*ing and d*ing hourly since about 3.30 am up until now, telling me that he can't even drink water. Doesn't sound like a hangover to me.....

So I'm completely terrified at the moment and just shaking. Could the cigarette puffs have exposed me, before he had the symptoms I mean?

Any support appreciated

Default Re: Could I be exposed? Panic!!!

Nopes. In order to get exposed you need to be there when he v* or had d* which you werent. You CANNOT ingest any virus particles before they are expelled from someone. you're safe!
    Jon Miazma Watsky forever <3

Felle is absolutely right, it's a common myth that you can get exposed before somebody is displaying symptoms. Now people do sometimes shed the virus for up to two hours before they display symptoms, however (and this is important), at this stage this virus is only ever shed in stools - and we know from studies that it is very, very unlikely that you could catch the virus from his stool (before he had d*). The only way would have been if he'd gone for a poo immediately before, stuck his fingers in it and not washed his hands ~ which let's face it, is so bloody gross nobody would do that!

Honestly, you're going to be absolutely fine
    The frog has retired. Occasionally he reads PMs, when he isn't hopping around happily from one lily pad to another. He wishes you all the very best, and hopes that you find the archive of his posts informative.

Thank you for your kind answers! Yeah, that's pretty much what I thought, too. Still didn't stop me from panicking over it, lol. So frustrating. Thinking about every little detail from last night, how for example I remember picking my tooth at one point with my fingernail and being sure if the cigarette thing didn't do it, then that certainly would. (I've recently managed to loosen the every-winterly-mouth-touching-avoidance-ocd up a bit since its almost spring already, and then this crap happened, sigh.)

Anyway, thanks again, so relieved that I've finally found a place where people who understand actually help each other out no more battling with this lifelong issue alone.

I'm feeling fine now, and hopefully tomorrow, too.

Cheers from Finland
    -E

Don't worry E, we all have the same thought processes. I've studied virology and can tell you pretty much anything you want to know about Norovirus - in particular, I know how it spreads and how it doesn't... And yet that knowledge doesn't stop me from worrying that I might have caught it from things, even when I know that it would be impossible. Phobias don't adhere to logical thought, they are irrational. So just wanted to say that you're not alone.

Glad you're feeling fine, I'm sure you will be feeling even better tomorrow too
    The frog has retired. Occasionally he reads PMs, when he isn't hopping around happily from one lily pad to another. He wishes you all the very best, and hopes that you find the archive of his posts informative.

Ahh, finsk? Pratar du svenska? Or English only?
    Jon Miazma Watsky forever <3

Sorry to highjack this thread.... but Silentfrog I'm really curious about your knowledge of virology.. I freak out constantly about catching something from my daughter (she is 6) and have read so many conflicting accounts of how this dreadful noro spreads that I frankly need to avoid everything to feel even remotely safe (yeah like that realistic lol). I am blessed with a daughter who seems to get more sick, more often than most and I have a real hard time handling it tbh. Do you mind if I ask you some questions in the hope to temper my ''crazy'' a little??? I'd love to worry more about what matters, rather than freak out left, right and center... particularly at the moment when there is a bug doing the rounds at school and people are dropping like flies and my daughter can't / won't keep her little fingers out of her mouth .... nearly died at the mothers day assembly at school last week when she literally licked both her palms and sucked each finger in turn for absolutely no reason other than she felt like it - give me strength!!!!!!

twigandfuzz ~ I'll shoot you a PM