Welcome to the International Emetophobia Society | The Web's Largest Meeting Place for People With Emetophobia.

Default What is the ultimate goal? What would you change if you could?

So in reading through the various threads, I'm wondering for those that are actively seeking treatment, what is the end goal for you? After being treated, is it lessening the panic attacks? Or the OCD tendencies? What does that look like for you?

Default Re: What is the ultimate goal? What would you change if you could?

Honestly, my goal right now is to get in touch with a therapist. I've never really talked to a professional about it as an adult. It (emet=panic=anxiety) has affected my life in so many negative ways--i've lost jobs due to freaking out and missing days. I never want to go anywhere or travel much and I know my husband is affected. I'm scared to get pregnant...the list goes on. I called my parents tonight as I was driving home. My husband came down with what seems like a sv today and I was scared to come home. My mom said it's times like that when I need a therapist, or at least some coping mechanisms other than fight or flight. She said call a therapist TOMORROW and get started on finally dealing with this. BUT, your question remains...what do I expect or hope to happen?? Of course I wish I wouldn't let emet run my life. Sure, no one likes to v or d, but I wish I could handle it like a non-emet if that makes sense. My biggest fear is not only the sv but getting it at work or out in public. If I am at home I feel like I can make it through. But the fear just takes hold of me and won't let go. I will be worrying all night, all day tomorrow and all week that I'm going to get what my husband has. If i lose the job I have now (which i started last week) I will pretty much be done for. The emet will have won. My family, husband, friends...I wouldn't be able to face them knowing I fled work just because "i might get sick." Anyway, long story short--I would love to be 'cured' but I'll take just learning how to let life happen--sv's and all.