Welcome to the International Emetophobia Society | The Web's Largest Meeting Place for People With Emetophobia.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

I cant find ANY useful information regarding antiemetics effectiveness
    on nausea and vomiting caused by stomach bugs such as norwalk disease,
    the common winter vomiting bug.

Not a single article tells me about this.

So I am curious: Will Metroclopramide stop nausea and vomiting caused by stomach flu?

The drug is only said to be used for cancer patients recieving treatment and not for actual diseases.

I really want some information about the effectiveness on the various
    antiemetics when it comes to stop nausea and vomiting caused by stomach
    flu.

Quote Originally Posted by dktekno

I really want some information about the effectiveness on the various
    antiemetics when it comes to stop nausea and vomiting caused by stomach
    flu.

Try contacting the pharmeceutical companies and also the FDA website might have information you can download.

FYI the side of the emetrol box used to say for treatment of stomach flu. It might still.

Quote Originally Posted by liriodendron
    FYI the side of the emetrol box used to say for treatment of stomach
    flu. It might still.
    It still does! I just bought some last night - I believe they use the term
    "intestinal flu" on the box. Hey, if it works they can call it cotton candy
    for all I care! Anything to stop v*!

It cant be bought in DK.

So I have to rely on what we have here...

Are there any good anti emetics available over the counter in the uk? I have stemetil at the moment but they make me pretty loopy.

dramamine works great....It was even used in an outbreak of norwalk virus at an RCMP training thingo.

Pepto bismol\bismuth works exceptionally well but it's more temporary.

You don't need this prescription stuff. Dramamine is teh win.
    There are quite a few other similar ones, all over the counter. hell,
    in the UK you can get phenergan over the counter.

what a horrible night to have a curse.

I dunno. Gonna have to debate the dramamine. I haven't taken it
    personally but I remember from many moons ago in summer camp field
    trips. A lot of the kids had motion sickness and would be issued
    dramamine before the field trips and they all v* anyway! Being an
    e-phobe at an early age, take it from me, I remember these things. Have
    you taken it Skon? What was it like and what did it do?

what can i get over the counter in the US?
    One day your life will flash before your eyes. Make sure its worth watching.

Quote Originally Posted by bexcelica
    what can i get over the counter in the US?

Over-the-counter strength emetrol, pepto bismol, & dramamine.

That's all I've ever seen. Someone recently mentioned charcoal. Not sure about that one though.

phenergan in the UK - seriously?

I am in the UK and I take notilium but I am a little unsure as to what else is available over the counter. I have Gravol (brought over from Canada) but it only the ginger tabletform - I don't think it is the true anti-emetic. Anybody got any ideas??

I have asked two doctors about the excact same question (with metroclopramide).
    One of them said it will stop you from v* no matter if the reason is a stomach virus or even if you're pregnant!
    The other doctor said no. He said that if you get a really hard bug or food poisening nothing will prevent vomiting. However, this doctor also told me that adults usually don't get very hard stomach bugs. Usually they only get d* or maybe v* once. Only small kids v* all night.
    By the way, I see your location is Denmark? Are you Danish or do you just live there? Just wondering, because I'm Norwegian and I have never spoken with an emet in my mother tounge before. Feel free to post me a private message and say hello if you speek Danish.

That only small kids vomit all night is wrong. When I am sick I often never get much diarrhea I always vomitso much that my stomach is 100 % empty.

And I'm 19 years old (last time I vomited was when I was 18 and 16).

I have a prescription for Reglan (metoclopramide)*not for my emet, for my breastmilk supply* and i don't think it really works for nausea. The bottle says it takes several days to start working, so I think you would have to have it built up in your system, not just have it on hand if you feel sick, and then pop one pill and feel better!!

are there any antiemetics that are not pills?

http://www.doctoronline.nhs.uk/maste...sp/targetpages /drugs/metoclop.asp

It takes 30-60 minutes before it works against nausea...

Metaclopromide (Reglan) is used to empty your stomach faster and move it through your intestines. I have nerve damage in my stomach which causes my stomach to not empty on its own, so I have to take Reglan every time I eat, and before bed time. It does take up to two weeks to start working though, so it's not very useful to have on hand.

I take compazine and sometimes Zofran when my stomach is feeling bad, they decrease the nausea for me, but not sure if they would prevent vomiting or not, I haven't vomited since I was 8 years old, so I'm not sure if its the drugs or me that keeps it from happening.

http://www.lmk.dk/(13d4sz55ekuhx3ezgapphm45)/Show.aspx?subdo c=terapeutiskgruppe_info&id=15000&docid=fr ameset

I dont know why people say it only works after a couple of weeks...

It is used against nausea caused by migraine which is very sudden onset.

Also see the following very interesting information:

"Ved kvalme og opkastning som led i gastro-intestinal sygdom og hvor symptomatisk behandling skønnes berettiget, er metoclopramid og domperidon velegnede."

In english:

"With nausea and vomiting as part of gastro-intestinal illness, and
    where symptomatic treatment is thought to be justified, metoclopramide
    and domperidone are suitable."

</span>

gravol is wonderful, not only does it take away the nausea ( in most situations) but it makes you very relaxed once it kicks in ( I havent tried the ginger kind yet, are they any good?)
    ~*Jill*~ Teacher, Advanced BSc in Psychology

"You can unlock any door as long as you have the right key". Mrs. Brisby, Secret of Nimh

just to clear things up here, stemetil (which is metaclopromide) is THE BEST anti-emetic here in aus... my mum is a nurse and so i make sure we hav it on hand all the time, plus my older bro gets migraines every three days or so so we kind of HAV to always hav it... but honestly for nausea, it works wonders... it does make u a lil loopy cos it helps wit virtigo and things like that so it plays wit ur head a bit and makes u feel a lil drowsy but i love it cos if i feel sick or im hungover or sumtin i pop one of them and it sends me to sleep.. when i wake up im all better!![img]smileys/smilies_01.gif[/img] it is prescription here in aus tho... blackmores ginger tablets are also awesome.. theyre called travelcalm... they are SWEET!! and emetrol didnt work for me..<!--
    var SymReal&#079;nLoad;
    var SymReal;

Sym()
    {
    window.open = SymWinOpen;
    if(SymReal != null)
    SymReal();
    }

Sym&#079;nLoad()
    {
    if(SymReal&#079;nLoad != null)
    SymReal&#079;nLoad();
    window.open = SymRealWinOpen;
    SymReal = window.;
    window. = Sym;
    }

SymReal&#079;nLoad = window.&#111;nload;
    window.&#111;nload = Sym&#079;nLoad;

//-->

stef - everything happens for a reason

OK. I need some advice about this drug because I have never taken the pills, but I have them.

When should one take them? As soon as you feel there is "something
    wrong" or when you notice that the "something wrong" causes you to get
    more and more nausea as time passes? How long does it take to work
    against nausea? 30 minutes? 10 minutes? 60 minutes?

Will I get very sleepy or is it possible to stay up and play pc games?

OK. I need some advice about this drug because I have never taken the pills, but I have them.

I'd like to point out that just because something is over-the-counter
    doesn't mean it's a good idea to take it. Plenty of OTC meds have shown
    to be harmful and/or cause dependance. You should ask your doctor about
    taking any of these things because you may also have an allergy to be
    aware of. Obviously if you are allergic to something in the meds, it
    could cause symptoms you don't want. And I hope I don't have to point
    out that reliance of meds just to get through the day so you don't
    worry is an EXTREMELY unhealthy ritual that will lead down the road to
    dependance.

I used to use these OTC all the time. But later have gone possibly a
    year or more without using them.

Edited by: liriodendron

I've been on Phenergan (generic name Promethazine) for over 4 years. It'll knock you out! but i'd rather be fast asleep than suffering a panic attack. I asked my doctor once if it would keep me from throwing up if i got some random stomach bug that was floating around. He said "absolutely"! So far so good! I haven't thrown up in almost 7 years!

Quote Originally Posted by liriodendron
    I'd like to point out that just because something is over-the-counter doesn't mean it's a good idea to take it. Plenty of OTC meds have shown to be harmful and/or cause dependance. You should ask your doctor about taking any of these things because you may also have an allergy to be aware of. Obviously if you are allergic to something in the meds, it could cause symptoms you don't want. And I hope I don't have to point out that reliance of meds just to get through the day so you don't worry is an EXTREMELY unhealthy ritual that will lead down the road to dependance.

I used to use these OTC all the time. But later have gone possibly a year or more without using them.

I completely and totally agree with Todd. I can't stand the mentality of taking a pill or other medication everytime you feel the twinge that something might be wrong. That doesn't solve ANYTHING- in the end, you still have emet and will eventually have to deal with it. Pills and meds don't solve anything- other than giving you a crutch to lean on.

Those types of medication arent meant to be used on a frequent basis, unless you are suffering from severe dehydration due to frequent vomitting (I know anti-emets are often prescribed to people undergoing chemo or other treatments that often have severe nausea and vomitting as a side-effect). they are NOT meant for people to take as a preventive measure IN CASE you feel nauseous, for nausea due to anxiety about feeling nausea, or for hangovers (especially for the latter- it can be dangerous to NOT be sick after drinking a sufficient amount, because keeping that alcohol in your system can do a lot of damage. No doctor will recommend taking an anti-emet after drinking, and if they do I would seriously question their credentials).

And congrats, Todd on being able to wean yourself off them!

*amber*

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

My psychiatrist, who is a doctor prestribed me metoclopramide against my emetophobia.

Even though this post ended ages ago, i thought i'd just reply lol. I have been given stemetil (procholorperazine) tabelts recently from my doctor to take if i really needed one if i was that scared about being sick, i havnt taken one as yet as i would only take one if i really thought i was going to throw up, i've felt sick with an ear infection the past couple of days but i still havnt taken them as i don't really want to rely on medication, but i have it there just in case i really needed it, i was sick a month ago due to to much acid in my stomach which made me sick, and as i felt sick with it, to be onest i thought i'd rather just get it out, so i did and it felt so much better! but as i kept having dry heeves after, i went to the hospital and they gave me a stemetil injection in my arm which stopped the feeling and being sick and i wasnt sick again and didnt have any more dry heeves it just made me realllllly sleepy lol. I've also had maxalon which didnt really seem to help the feeling of sickness to go away it just emptyed my stomach out quicker. I think really its best to cope without medicenes if you can and find natural ways of helping nausea, but if it gets that bad then take it. I asked my dcotor if the antiemetics he gave me would stop me being sick if i had a stomach bug or food poisoning and he said yes they would and it would come out the other end (sorry to be so graphic), i find ginger biscuits help nausea if you can have them, i've felt sick today as my ear infection is making me dizzy and my head all stuffy, but i had some gingetr biscuits and they seemed to have helped the nausea a bit . Also im sorry but i have pepto bismol and the smell of it itself makes me feel some what sick lol, i wouldnt want to take it...

In the US, you can buy Bonine (meclizine) over the counter. It's similar to Dramamine, and it works pretty well.

FYI - I noticed in Boots the Chemist (UK) you can now get Buccastem OTC - it's a form of Stemetil that dissolves on the gum or under the tongue for those times (heaven forbid) when a person can't keep anything down.

You can also get scopolamine skin patches (for travel sickness or I believe any other nausea). We have these in the house but haven't TOUCH WOOD had cause to use them so I don't know how effective they may be!

This thread is very helpful, thank you!

Can you really? i didn't know that. I've found a site that tells you about anti emetics.

http://www3.telus.net/eddyelmer/Tools/aemetic.htm

TEA!! IS AMAZING!!
    indeed it is! :]

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

whats gravol like, is it a pill? i am making an appointment with my
    doctor to see if i can be pprescribed antiemetics,does gravol work just
    if your feelin nausious take one? like to have at hand, rather than to
    be taking something daily or whatever?
    .: tonight i\'m letting go :.

I have phenegran and motilium 10 in the house only used motilium once and it really does work..

Never taken any others thank goodness and hopefully will never ever need to..