Welcome to the International Emetophobia Society | The Web's Largest Meeting Place for People With Emetophobia.

Default Trichotillomania.

I have read that when someone is stressed, they can develop more things.
    Ex: Trichotillomania. The pulling of hair.

There are people who pull their hair when they are stressed/bored/excited/not knowing. They can pull arms, head, eyebrows, face (beards), etc. They might not notice they are pulling. They start pulling, and it usually does not hurt them.

Does anyone else deal with Trichotillomania?
    Last edited by khernández99; 07-26-2015 at 12:34 PM.

Default Re: Trichotillomania.

I do not, but recently my best friend told me that she has suffered with it most of her life. We were always suspicious of her thinning hair and that she always wore a headscarf, but as crazy as it sounds, none of us ever in 10 years asked her. It was just something no one brought up. Finally last summer, when she was in the midst of some major life stress she broke down and told me. It was extremely emotional. But since then she has been so strong and open with us even letting us help her find a salon that makes hair pieces etc.... But yes, it's a devastating illness, and if you suspect a friend or loved one might be suffering, it's important to be extremely compassionate, sensitive and wait for them to tell you.

I know someone who works for the a. father and he pulls out his hair. His girlfriend broke up with him because he couldn't stop pulling his hair out. Now he has a bald spot.

Last month, I made a bald area, but now it is sort of ok. Sometimes I won't know that I do it. It does not hurt. It was caused when I was paranoid last month.
    Last edited by khernández99; 09-20-2015 at 06:22 AM.

My hair started to go thin in one spot so ive tried to move away from that area.. I dont realise im doing it... i think ive just got a bad habit of doing it when im uptight. So i just need to break the habit somehow?! i just cant stop.. its addicting, feels so good even though most the time i dont know im doing it haha!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

I have a circle with small hair growing back in that spot. I pulled during a AP Quiz, Emetophobia, Bored, Not Noticing, etc. That is not good, because at the end of the year we have to take an exam and if I don't pass it, then I wasted money on a class. And retake it again, in College/University.

I think the employee pulls his hair because of his job and school. He doesn't have a phobia.

It is addicting and it does not hurt. I don't know why though. When I get haircuts, the hair is short and I can't pull much.
    Last edited by khernández99; 09-20-2015 at 06:23 AM.

i do that occasionally, not a lot though.
    May your dreams be bigger than your fears

I do this! But I had no idea it had a connection with my emetophobia and anxiety. Weird to think about .

I've tried controlling it and it's decreasing. But school starts in a few weeks.

I have this - I have no eyelashes because I pull em all out

Yay stress

Quote Originally Posted by Claire- View Post
    I have this - I have no eyelashes because I pull em all out

Yay stress
    How long have you had it?
    Original Register Date w/Old Account: 27 December 2012.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

I had a friend who had this (though I didn't know what it was at the time and I'm not sure if she did either.) Her mom apparently had it too. She was able to control herself when she was awake but would pull out her eyelashes in her sleep whenever she was going through a particularly stressful time.

If any bad thing happens at home. (Someone v*) I don't know how it would be because you can pull in your sleep too.
    It's easier to stop if its controlled when it first develops.

I've had trich since I was 6 years old, so now I've had it for 12 years. It used to be worse when I was little because I would pull until I was bald. I even pulled my eyelashes and eyebrows out.

So after that, I had to wear various wigs or color in my bald spots with eyebrow pencil.

I've gotten slightly better, I'm not pulling my whole head bald anymore, I no longer pull out my eyebrows or eyelashes. But I still pull constantly in certain areas. So now I have 5 small bald spots.

Quote Originally Posted by khernández99 View Post
    How long have you had it?
    Since I was about 8 (10 years). I used to pull the hair from my head, and then for some reason I suddenly stopped and turned on my eyelashes.

I wonder if, since it's to do with control, emets are prone to trich because we feel as if we can't control vomiting in our life and that manifests itself as the disorder?

It could for some people. I got it because it helped distract and then it became a habit. The more stress makes me pull more.

I have this as well. It is worse when I am anxious or don't feel well. I am better about not pulling every strand out of my head, now I just pull at it. I had a minor bald spot when I was a teenager, but it has since grown back. I used to have to wear my hair short to now trigger myself into pulling, but now my hair is very long. I also pick at my arm hair.
    It began back in 8th grade when my parents separated...

Do you all pull when you are not stressed too? (Excited or bored)