Welcome to the International Emetophobia Society | The Web's Largest Meeting Place for People With Emetophobia.

Hybrid View

Default Interesting (maybe even good?) Norovirus news

Just figured some of you might be interested...

I read on the CDC blog the other day that in the US, most people get Norovirus an average of 5 times during the course of their life. Not exactly sure how they determined that number, but it still feels satisfying to have a number. Think about it in perspective- if most people get about 2 colds per year and the average life expectancy is about 78, that's 156 colds in a lifetime, versus only 5 noroviruses! On top of it all, researchers are actively working on a norovirus vaccine, so this could mean that in our lifetimes, we would have to worry about norovirus even LESS!

Personally, for me I found this to be somewhat comforting, since I know for certain I've had it 3x already (and possibly even 4) and I'm 27. Anyway, here's the link, for those that might be interested. http://blogs.cdc.gov/publichealthmat...ine-a-reality/

Default Re: Interesting (maybe even good?) Norovirus news

I'm not sure how comforting that is. They start with their estimate of 20 million case of noro annually in the US. Then they divide that by population of 300 million. Then they multiply that by average life expectancy and get 5. They're assuming that estimate is correct (it's probably low) and they assume everyone has an equal chance of getting it. The thing is, I don't want to puke even once.
    To learn more about emetophobia, see
    To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

I read this the other day as well (I Google news it every now and then looking for a cure one day) it's nice to know but... I went 28 years with out v*.... Then food poisoning happened, which to me, isn't figured into that "5"

Welcome to IES, Docvape. How long ago was your food poisoning? How did you know it was FP and not something else? Doug
    To learn more about emetophobia, see

Quote Originally Posted by gumdropper1 View Post
    Welcome to IES, Docvape. How long ago was your food poisoning? How did you know it was FP and not something else? Doug
    Well I didn't think it was FP at first, it was the first time I v* in about 28 years (so of course, completely forgetting the warning signs for so long made the fear that much more unbearable) but when it's upon you, there is no mistaking it

Was at a barbershop the following week, told the guys in there 'yeah I haven't been back, been sick, last time I was here I got a slice of pizza next store and was sick for 2 days'

Everyone in there turned around and was like 'another one bites the dust' apparently, everyone got sick from that pizza place at least once in their lives.

So that's why I think it was FP, that or my mother is a super cleaner and somehow prevented anyone else in the house from catching it

The real question is how many times will a person be infected by Norovirus over the next ten years - because we can safely assume given the amount and progress of vaccine development so far, that we will have at least something resembling a vaccine within the next ten years on the market.

Look at your own personal infection history, have you been infected by Norovirus in the last 10 years? If yes then how many times? And was that before or after you became an emet and stepped up your hygiene? So let's say you do get infected, once or twice during the next ten years - the chances of you getting infected after that are significantly lower. There's not too much longer to hang on in there - just think about it this way, imagine that you were a child growing up in the 60s when Norovirus first emerged - you'd have had to have waited nearly another 60 years before you got so much as a sniff of a vaccine. But you don't, you've only got to wait a maximum of 10 more years. Don't let things get blown out of perspective, and don't lose hope
    The frog has retired. Occasionally he reads PMs, when he isn't hopping around happily from one lily pad to another. He wishes you all the very best, and hopes that you find the archive of his posts informative.

Quote Originally Posted by SilentFrog View Post
    we can safely assume given the amount and progress of vaccine development so far, that we will have at least something resembling a vaccine within the next ten years on the market.
    I'm hoping it will be even sooner- maybe 3-5 years. I believe Takeda (the company that is furthest along in developing a vaccine) is planning on moving into Phase III trials this year. Typically in Phase III, doctors will give the vaccine to patients who agree to take it. The idea is to test it's reaction to other medications (heart meds, cholesterol meds, etc.).

Another good sign- Takeda was hiring a global marketing team to develop a plan to launch the "Noro Cruise Ship" vaccine last year (that's what it said on their job posting), so they are at least getting ready for a launch. I hope we see something in 2018/2019.

Quote Originally Posted by kitbuddy View Post
    I'm hoping it will be even sooner- maybe 3-5 years. I believe Takeda (the company that is furthest along in developing a vaccine) is planning on moving into Phase III trials this year. Typically in Phase III, doctors will give the vaccine to patients who agree to take it. The idea is to test it's reaction to other medications (heart meds, cholesterol meds, etc.).

Another good sign- Takeda was hiring a global marketing team to develop a plan to launch the "Noro Cruise Ship" vaccine last year (that's what it said on their job posting), so they are at least getting ready for a launch. I hope we see something in 2018/2019.
    I totally agree! The cruise ship industry is pouring big $$$$$ into this, and with so many companies fighting to be first I think that 3-5 years is realistic!

I've had it more than 5x already, but I am O+ and know that I am more susceptible. I've only had the 'real flu' 1x in my life and would take a sv* over the actual flu any day of the week!

Oh that would be wonderful if it was so soon!! My son is turning 4 this year....at least if I got him vaccinated in the next few years, I probably wouldn't worry so much!!! I Hope this vaccine will work!!!