Welcome to the International Emetophobia Society | The Web's Largest Meeting Place for People With Emetophobia.

Default Cross contamination issues

Hi, my worst nightmare is being around people who cook raw chicken, I literally can't do it! My friend cooks it a lot and today she was cooking and generally being a bit clumsy with it all (heating it all up in the microwave etc). It sets my OCD on fire being near her when she does this. Anyway after handling it she went to wash her hands at the kitchen tap. A few hours later I cooked something again (frozen vegetarian hot dogs). I used the tap to wash my pans and handled the food with my fingers to make sure I had cooked it through properly before I ate it. I get so OCD about cross contamination because I sat there thinking, I touched that tap handle which she touched a few hours ago with raw chicken on her hands, what if I am putting that on my food :O. I didn't wash my hands when touching that handle. Is that a really silly thing to worry about? I feel a little silly because I don't think it is natural for somebody to wash their hands after touching the kitchen tap, there must have been so many times when I touched it and she had beforehand with raw meat. But because I consciously saw her touch it I have become paranoid. I kind of start worrying that I have cross contaminated myself or something by touching my food and eating it afterwards.

Default Re: Cross contamination issues

Guys I'm genuinely a bit worried about this, I woke up this morning in a panic. Does anyone have any advice

You're fine, I'm sure. If I told you how NOT cautious my boyfriend is when he's handling/cooking raw meat or raw eggs, it would probably throw your OCD into overdrive. It drives ME insane that's for sure. But anyway, I have never gotten sick from touching the faucet or fridge handle or drawer handle after him and neither has he. I mean I do wipe everything down later on, because it just generally grosses me out lol but even sometimes I forget or miss something. You're okay!!!

But my question is, why was your friend cooking raw chicken in the microwave?