Welcome to the International Emetophobia Society | The Web's Largest Meeting Place for People With Emetophobia.

Default SV for 9 DAYS. PLEASE HELP

I've had a stomach virus going on 9 DAYS and I am LOSING IT. Diarrhea, nausea, abdominal cramps (no v). All the symptoms are on and off. I thought i was over it Sunday and then Monday it came back. I went to the doctor and she said it's just a virus. She gave me zofran but it hasn't helped too much. I'm sending in a stool sample if the d continues, though haven't had any in 12 hours. The doc thinks it unlikely to be bacterial and I just have to let it run it's course.

Can someone PLEASE give me some reassurance that this will go away? I have lost hope. I'm a miserable wreck. I am starting to believe this is going to be the way I am for the rest of my life. Please help me out of this dark, hole. I can't do this.
    Last edited by KarMar; 03-24-2015 at 11:05 PM.

Default Re: SV for 9 DAYS. PLEASE HELP

Hi KarMar,

Are you able to function normally just with discomfort? Are you able to go to your job? Distract yourself from your symptoms with TV or a book? Go for a walk? I had a SV with no v* last week that lasted for about 4 days and I felt the same way. I tried to act as normal as possible (lots of dramamine and pepto bismol) and eventually I did get out of the dark hole you're referring to. Yes, mine didn't last 9 days, but I know you will get through it!

i have bad IBS and get attacks where i feel that way for sometimes over a week at a time. every doctor says "oh you just have a *Sv" and it's never been true. so i would't always take their word for it
    “A man that flies from his fear may find that he has only taken a short cut to meet it.”

The adenovirus is a fairly rare SV, but nonetheless infections do happen, especially during outbreaks. They tend to cause d, n and stomach cramps (v is much less common), and can also cause respiratory symptoms too (so are often mistaken for flu). Symptoms usually drag on for anything from 10 to 12 days, but in your case it sounds like things are finally settling down after 9.

The good news is that these infections are quite rare, so the chances are you won't be unlucky enough to have one again any time soon (fingers crossed)! And like I said, it sounds like the symptoms are coming to an end at last. That's not to say that this wasn't caused by something else, but in my personal experience (of virology), your symptoms fit quite closely with adenovirus infection.

Let us know how you are anyway!
    Last edited by SilentFrog; 03-25-2015 at 02:14 AM.
    The frog has retired. Occasionally he reads PMs, when he isn't hopping around happily from one lily pad to another. He wishes you all the very best, and hopes that you find the archive of his posts informative.

Thank you everyone.... I woke up this morning feeling much better and it's now been 24 hrs since I last had d. I'm extremely relieved but also afraid because this happened once before.... On Saturday night through Sunday I was 100% thinking I was over it and then Monday it came back just as bad.

Do you think this time it's actually over?? Can I actually relax now, or should I just wait to feel ill again? Since waking up, I'm drinking tons, taking a probiotic and eating bland foods. None of them are making my stomach feel bad so far.

I don't think (hopefully) it's IBS or something physiological only because it started very suddenly last week. I've always had very healthy bowels before. never any problems.

So what do we think? A vIrus that's gone? Or impending doom.....

I just went through the exact same situation. Mine lasted about 6 days. I started taking probiotics and those seemed to help ease the d. I used bio salud, its basically the Mexican version of danactiv, and it's only .99 for six.