Welcome to the International Emetophobia Society | The Web's Largest Meeting Place for People With Emetophobia.

Default desperate for help!

Hello! I really need help. I had my therapy appointment for my emetophobia yesterday and last night at around 9pm I had a huge panic attack as I had stomach pain. It's been 24 hours and I haven't v'd or had D. I've just had stomach pains, a worry knot in my chest, bloating, slight gas, uneasiness in my stomach.. I haven't v'd in over 10 years so I can't say I've been "feeling sick" . anyway, I need help! Is this anxiety?? Am I sick??

Default Re: desperate for help!

can't say if you are sick or not. how long have you been feeling the severe symptoms> since therapy? starting anything new, even therapy, can definitely cause panic and make you feel bad at first. I would try a distraction technique, like doing your nails or going for a walk or listening to music. if after that your symptoms subside, then it is panic and not a sv. if you still feel bad after a set of distractions, maybe you are coming down with something. that always works for me. and welcome to the board. tell us more about you when you have a chance.

Thank you for replying. I know that this is in my head, as it subsides during the day when I am busy and distracted. It tends to come back in the evening and tonight is the third night in a row. I'm getting new to this site too, so thanks for the help.

Hey Becca,
    First of all welcome, it's great to meet you! From everything you're saying it definitely sounds like anxiety - I'm exactly the same sometimes, I will get a minor pain in my stomach, perhaps from having been sitting with an awkward posture, and if I'm not distracted, I will 'notice' it and suddenly the pain is amplified and turns into a full blown panic attack, along with the n*. Many of us here are worse at night too. It may not be much reassurance, but I'll share a little of my story with you.

For the last four months now I've been getting what has become daily stomach pain - it's so intense the pain has me (a fully grown man) in tears and on the floor, and I've been to hospital with it multiple times - alongside that I get n*, and feel as though I'm about to v*, which happens several times with each 'attack'. In fact, I'm having an attack right now as I type this to you, although not panicking too much because I'm so used to it, and the pain is tolerable.

Anxiety makes me condition (whatever it is, nobody knows atm) much worse, amplifies the pain and the n* and prolongs everything too, such is the power of the mind. My favourite distractions are to put some boring television on and try to really involve myself with it. Or I will read a magazine from cover to cover. They don't take the pain away, nor the n*, but they do lessen it - finding a distraction is the key, although you might want to see your doctor about some anti-anxiety medications too (see what the options are)
    The frog has retired. Occasionally he reads PMs, when he isn't hopping around happily from one lily pad to another. He wishes you all the very best, and hopes that you find the archive of his posts informative.