Welcome to the International Emetophobia Society | The Web's Largest Meeting Place for People With Emetophobia.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

My daughter woke up this morning with the dreaded SV. So far, it's been on the mild side, just a couple of times in the past six hours. Problem is, her and I were sharing a bowl of popcorn last night watching a show. She had absolutely no symptoms before bed and woke up around 5:30 sick. Now, I am sitting here watching the clock wondering if I will get it. Being pregnant isn't helping as I have no desire to eat which will probably just make me feel worse. I keep drinking cranberry juice (read somewhere this may help prevent SV's) and eating crackers and trying to keep my other daughter "safe". I just keep telling myself at least we are getting it over with before Christmas! Ah, this too shall pass.

It will pass. I'm sure you will be ok. SV's aren't contagious until the symptoms appear. Just take all the precautions, washing hands, door knobs, etc. and I'm sure you will be fine. I hope your daughter feels better. Contratulations on your pregnancy!!
    <a href=\"
    To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
    src=\"http://tickers.TickerFactory.com/ezt/d/4;10731;130/st/2 0070423/e/My+Caribbean+Cruise/k/3909/event.png\"></a&gt ; ; ;

Ditto to what babygap said.

Positive thinking and clean living. It will be over before you know it
    and in a day or two it will feel like it was just a dream, and you'll be
    congratulating yourself for coping so well?
    Laugh, quick, before you cry....

I am so sorry your daughter is sick.....just stay clean yourself like the others said....and try to relax...it will be over soon.....i know it's hard where our babies are ill....but we have to be strong for them....good luck...K
    Kate
    To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

\"I Wish I Was Still In Aruba\"

I totally understand your fear of getting sick, I don't know how old your daughter is, but kid's get sick a lot more than we do, my kids have had a few sv's where I didn't catch them. Remember how careful we are when someone in the house is sick. Usually family members get sick because they aren't as careful as we are. You sound like your dealing with it as well as you can, keep it up and keep us posted, I hope she's doing alright.[img]smileys/smilies_01.gif[/img]
    ~Sheri~

I am so sorry to hear that your daughter has been sick. It's just the worst thing for an emet parent to deal with. Try to remember all the times before when you have gotten through it. Also, and this really helps me to hear this when one of my kids is sick, I have never caught an sv from one of my kids. Remember to wash your hands. I have also had great luck preventing one kid from catching an sv from the other by keeping them apart for about 3 days. I am embarrassed to admit thecrazy "precautions" I take, but they seem to work. Let us know youare all doing.

Thanks for all your support.She's still sick. It's really only been three times, but they are spaced out 5 and 6 hours at a time. My husband is home now and taking care of her. I just know though that he's not as careful as I am/would be. I've quarantined her upstairs and I'm keeping my younger one downstairs all day. Oh, she's 6 by the way, and getting to almost be self sufficient at this. She's made it to the bathroom each time and really doesn't need much help. I just feel so guilty standing down the hall asking her if she's okay and if she needs anything.

[img]smileys/smilies_10.gif[/img]

Edited by: liriodendron

Is she drinking anything? or has she eaten? fever?...sipping gatorade is good as well as those frozen pedialite pops if she isn't eating or drinking, but i'm sure you know all this, it's so hard when you have more than one child, worrying about the others catchign the viruses, but you're doing the right thing by keeping them seperated, it worked for me before also. I feel for you when you say you feel guilty, poor kids don't understand why we are like this, but your daughter is old enough to explain why you don't want to come to close. I'm jealous of you right now you seem to be handling this better than I would!
    ~Sheri~

How is your daughter now? I hope she's feeling better. Keep the positive attitude and it will be gone before you know it!

Usually when she has gotten a SV in the past, it's been V* for a few hours and then it stops. This one is weird. She got sick this morning when she woke up and then nothing for about 6 hours. During which she sipped on gatorade very slowly for a couple of hours, but then that is what came back up around noon. She does have a slight fever of 100. She wanted to switch to water after the gatorade experience. She sipped on that for a few hours and then that came up an hour ago. She's asking for food, but I'm not letting her have any yet until we can be sure she's keeping the liquids down, but at 5 and 6 hours between episodes, she could be getting very hungry with an empty churning tummy. Do you guys think I should feed her some plain Cheerios and see how it goes? She hates saltines. I feel guilty this time around too because I am blaming the baby/pregnancy for not wanting to go near her and she keeps saying that's okay mommy. Bless her heart. I even wore a surgical mask thing (okay it was really a dust mask from my husband's tool kit, but figured it has to work the same way) when I had to go in the bathroom with her. She just looked at me and said is everyone going to wear those around her? Poor thing. Nope, just your mommy who's a nut case!

What a little sweetie pie you have there, it's funny how our babies handle the illness better than we do! Anyways, I would go with a few cheerios and see how that goes. I wish I could give her hug, i'm sure she'll be fine in no time, just keep the liquids in her and don't worry too much about eating right now.
    ~Sheri~

And again....when will it stop. It's been 12 hours. Definitely no food now. It was only 2 hours since the last time. She keeps begging for things to drink. I guess she must be getting some liquid absorbed if she's not getting sick after every little sip. Has anyone ever had a SV present this way or have I just been lucky when the V* only lasts a few hours?

Sv's present many different ways, just depends on the type of virus and how the persons immune system reacts to it. How is she doing? Is she acting ill or listless? She must be keeping some liquids down with such long spans in between. Keep us posted, especially if you need to vent. Take Care[img]smileys/smilies_01.gif[/img]
    ~Sheri~

She's been in bed all day. She's whiny, but not any more than usual when sick. I don't think she's getting dehydrated, but I hope it lets up soon. Everything I read says if your child v*s for more than 12 hours, call your doctor. But she's only been sick 4 times in that 12 hours. I could see if she was getting sick every hour. I hope she goes to sleep tonight and stays asleep to give her tummy time to heal. It's now been 24 hours for me since sharing the dreaded popcorn and I am feeling okay....I'll feel more triumphant tomorrow night though! Sheri, thanks for all your kind words.

Your welcome, I wish you and your family the best. Hang in there!
    ~Sheri~

What about popsicles or ice chips. That might help.

Are you sure it is a sv? Keep an eye on this one. You may be correct in assuming it is a SV and it may pass. However, if she is still ill tomorrow, please call the doctor. Last spring my son had a sore throat and I took him to the doctor. She asked him if he felt like v***. I was shocked that she asked that question so I asked her why she did since he only had a sore throat. She said over 50% of kids under age 10 will v*** with strep. She also said about 50% come in for sporadic v** and no sore throat. By the way, my son did have strep.

I am not saying it is strep at all. I do know that it has been going around all over the place this fall. Hopefully its not, but it may be.

Stella

My brothers SO had a sv over Thanksgiving while we were there
    (gross), and she started v*ing at about 1 in the afternoon. She only
    v*d once, then again several hours later (along with some d*), and
    then later she drank a sip of water in the kitchen and it literally came
    right back up - while she was still standing in the kitchen, right on the
    floor! I think she v*d just a few times, but it was spread out over 12-14
    hours. I talked to her 3 days later, and she still felt like she'd been hit
    by a truck. She must have had a nasty one. It's amazing how
    differently a sv can present, though. Poor baby, I hope she's feeling
    better come morning.

I hope your daughter is doing better!! Keep us posted please!!!!

I hope your little one is feeling better. I agree this sv sounds strange but with my husband and son they are always different. My son used to go hours and I'd think good, its over and then he'd V again. Doesn't sound like she's nauseous if she's asking for food? At least that's a blessing. I agree about the popsicles, maybe your hubby could run out and get some? Hang in there - you're doing great!!

How is everything today? Also just thought I would say that I think you are handling everything like a pro! Keep up the good work. You're a great mommy
    \"This too shall pass\"

Thanks guys. I don't think it's strep. She had that 6 weeks ago and did v*once with it, but her first complaint was the sore throat so I knew right away. Took her in first thing and she tested positive. Unfortunately, I just think the sv is going around. I know two kids at her school who had it last week. She also does gymnastics Monday after school so who knows what germs she picked up there on those mats. We've been battling a cough for two weeks now, but that's not unusual for her. She always seems to have a cough from November to April on and off. Maybe allergies or just the dry heat gets to her. Anyway.....she slept all night. Her fever was gone before bedtime. She's acting much better and has had some gatorade and a small bowl of Cheerios and so far seems okay. I feel bad for her though because tonight was her Christmas concert at school and her class has been practicing their songs for over a month now. She's going to be so disappointed to miss it. It does amaze me though the number of moms I talked to yesterday who suggested I let her go tonight if she doesn't get sick today. That's why this stuff spreads so quickly!

cheerio-did you get my PM?

Cheerio,

As a music teacher planning a huge Christmas concert for next Wed (and TOTALLY stressing out about it!!), I want to thank you for not sending your daughter to sing in it sick. My biggest fear is that someone will get sick on stage!!

Also, I think you have handled this like a pro! You should be so proud of what a good mom you are! I hope to be even close to as good of one someday!

Mary
    "Whether you think you can or you think you can't, you're right."

Cheerio, how is she feeling now? Did the cereal stay down?
    <a href=\"
    src=\"http://tickers.TickerFactory.com/ezt/d/4;10731;130/st/2 0070423/e/My+Caribbean+Cruise/k/3909/event.png\"></a&gt ; ; ;

Cheerio,

I am so glad to hear your daughter is feeling better and that you are keeping her home tonight. These things can resurface and the last thing you need is to think you are in the clear and then she gets sick again. She could also spread it to others.

Stella

Well so far today we have just had one incident of diarhhea. Looks like it is almost over. She's been eating bowls and bowls of dry cheerios, graham crackers and a little vanilla yogurt, and all of it has stayed down. She's working on polishing off a 64 oz. bottle of gatorade too. Another bridge crossed. Thank you so much for talking me through it all. It does get easier when they are older and it doesn't involve so much cleaning up andclinginess. The funny thing is my four year old keeps walking around saying she wishes she would throw up. I know she just wants the attention that my other daughter has been getting!

Jennyleigh, I didn't get the PM. I just checked my profile and realized my email address is an old one. I'll change it right now.

As for her Christmas concert, she's only in first grade.She'll have many other chances to perform. My husband and I joked about the same thing last night if we sent her and she got sick on stage. How embarrassing would that have been! Not to mention the number of parents who would probably hate me!

It's fun being a part of the emet mom's club. You guys are the best!

May I start out by saying you are a great mother......Unlike me, I have a 2 year old that is sick right now with Grandma because I can't handle it...the difference between me and other people with emet is they are scared they are going to get sick....I am always scared I am going to get sick but I am more concerned with people around me getting sick....I leave any situation I am in if I feel threatened at all that someone is going to be sick...I run like a chicken and hide I have been like this since age 2 i am now 21.........may I add my daughter has been sick for 24 hours and has not v* yet she just has a fever and she is very whiny...I know it is horrible to not comfort my daughter but I get so shaky and I freak out if she makes any movement like she is going to be ill!!! Any advice would be great I really had no idea that other people were like this I always thought I was crazy!!

Staciekini, don't feel bad. When my oldest daughter was three she caught her first true SV and I ran like a chicken too. Even though my husband did all the work (it was Thanksgiving weekend) I was shaking and had to sleep downstairs so I wouldn't hear it. I felt awful. But with time and another child, I have had to face many times when I have been alone without any help. True exposure therapy. And each time it has gotten a little easier. I am definitely not cured as I still go into survival mode and scrub my hands raw. But I try to take something positive away from each experience and tell myself over and over again that it really wasn't all that bad, I survived and I can do it again. And you will be able to do it too. You are a great mother also. Just keep telling yourself that. I think becoming a mother has put me on the path towards recovery. I hope your daughter feels better. Keep us posted.