Welcome to the International Emetophobia Society | The Web's Largest Meeting Place for People With Emetophobia.

Thread: Panicking

Unhappy Panicking

I hate posting panick posts because I feel like I'm letting this fear win over my life, it already has, but minimizing my panick posts usually gives me a bit of happiness. So today my grandpa and I were driving to the store, and a car pulled over with a ambulance by it and a woman was v*ing. Ok... Gross, kind of threw me off a bit but I thought hey, there's a bunch of reasons why she can be sick, calm down. So I had. It was really short lived, my grandpa said to me "ugh, it's provably a stomach bug, there's a nasty strain and people can't eat or drink for days without v*ing, a few buddies came down with it..." And went on a really long ramble on this, I'm now panicking because it's going around so much, why couldn't he remember my fear?! And so many people on here are getting sick. I hate reality... I do wash my hands every thirty minutes really, I keep my sanity that way. I'm only 13 (almost 14, in the summer I will be 14) and its controlling my life I don't know what posting this will do for me, but I need to get it off my shoulders because my parents don't like me talking about it, they don't like 'feeding' my fear.

Edit: and now my grandpa is getting food but I'm refusing to eat it. I ate a big breakfast, he isn't buying me anything because I told him I won't eat it. Why can't I be a normal teenager?
    Last edited by Katethecupcake; 04-11-2015 at 12:41 PM.

Default Re: Panicking

Hi Katiethecupcake,
    So sorry to hear that you're going through all of that. I know how hard it can be to live in fear of falling ill. It is, however, reality that people do sometimes get sick. You were correct in thinking that there could be a million reasons why that woman was sick - and you'll never know. I'm not sure where you live, but here in the south, I have heard of no such strain of stomach virus, and no one I know has come down with it. I would recommend taking a deep breath, and relaxing. Stress is proven to weaken your immune system, so please just relax and let it go.
    It is healthy to talk about things that bother you - if your parents refuse to talk, I would advise talking to your school nurse, counsellor, a good friend, a friend's mom, etc. And, of course, we're all here to help!!
    I hope you are able to relax and calm down. Chances are, you will not get sick.

Blessings,
    DogLover8

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Quote Originally Posted by DogLover8 View Post
    Hi Katiethecupcake,
    So sorry to hear that you're going through all of that. I know how hard it can be to live in fear of falling ill. It is, however, reality that people do sometimes get sick. You were correct in thinking that there could be a million reasons why that woman was sick - and you'll never know. I'm not sure where you live, but here in the south, I have heard of no such strain of stomach virus, and no one I know has come down with it. I would recommend taking a deep breath, and relaxing. Stress is proven to weaken your immune system, so please just relax and let it go.
    It is healthy to talk about things that bother you - if your parents refuse to talk, I would advise talking to your school nurse, counsellor, a good friend, a friend's mom, etc. And, of course, we're all here to help!!
    I hope you are able to relax and calm down. Chances are, you will not get sick.

Blessings,
    DogLover8
    Thanks. And I don't really like telling people about this, I just think it's awkward. I barely ever go out (unless its school, and going is a mental battle) my friends rarely see me out of school anymore, I'm usually at home behind a computer screen wrapped up in my own thoughts. I live more north, sadly. I really wish there was a way to just drop this fear, multiple therapists and all, and it just got worse because they didn't focus on the fear really... Just making me eat, just never helped.

The greatest fear is fear itself. You have nothing to lose by talking to someone, and everything to gain. If therapists are unable to help you, I strongly suggest that you find someone that you trust and just talk to them. As for staying inside all the time, that may seem like a good way to stay healthy, but it's actually counterproductive. Being around germs (yes, I know it sounds bad) strengthens your immune system. Avoiding them weakens your immune system, making you more susceptible to falling sick.

Try something different. Call one of your friends, and ask her to come over. Start at your house, then maybe go to hers. Good friendships are vital to life. Take small steps, and you'll eventually see the light at the end of the tunnel. But please, don't live as a recluse. That only feeds the fear, making it stronger. You're young - life is for the living! Seize the day and live your life!! Life is a gift, and you never know when it might leave, so don't let it slip through your fingers.

If you ever just need to talk, PM me.
    Blessings,
    DogLover8

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.