Welcome to the International Emetophobia Society | The Web's Largest Meeting Place for People With Emetophobia.

Talking My Story: I overcame emetophobia - and so can you! Never ever give up hope.

I am so sad to see there are so few posts in this section of the forum.

I joined the forum back in 2006 and haven't been on in years but I wanted to log back in to share my story as I hope to inspire and give folk hope that there IS help and a way out of this if you put in the effort.

I'll try to keep this brief enough to keep you interested but detailed enough to give you a rough idea.

I started developing emet when I was 17, it took hold and got worse and worse over the years. I wasn't sleeping, I lost all my friends because I stopped going out, at one point I stopped eating altogether. I was referred to a dietician, a counsellor and CBT over the next few years. I was always striving for something that would help. I never gave up hope - that's really important. You can view my full story via this link > https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tWh5PAMry1I. There are other wonderful videos on there, but in particular, see my good friend Rhi's who has recently done a video, Jenny, a lovely girl i've met through the page AND last but not least Mary, who in her 80's overcame emet with the Thrive programme. She truely is an inspiration and was mine when I first started the programme.

I'll try not to repeat too much but please please watch the video, you'll see just how well I am doing now, i'd say i'm 100% cured. Not just learning to live with it, not just managing to lower my anxiety but CURED. I no longer avoid things like pubic transport, hospitals, I no longer carry anti-emets everywhere I go, or wear acupressure wrist bands or carry ginger sweets. I can also talk openly about my old phobia to family, friends and even acquaintances without shame or embarrassment.

How did I do this? I did it with the Thrive programme. Now, counselling and CBT helped a little, i'd say they got me half way there but I was never cured with them. You'll see that from my video. Thrive put me back in control of my emotions, my thinking and my life. I feel able to cope in so many more situations than just vomit ones.

If anyone is able to pull themselves away from the more negative worrisome threads on here and find the time to read this and watch my video, I really do hope you've been given a little bit of hope. Remember, I was once where you are now, struggling, and i'd have done anything to hear success stories so I very much hope this has been helpful and puts some people on the path to recovery.

If you've got questions feel free to ask.

Katie - Emet free!

Default Re: My Story: I overcame emetophobia - and so can you! Never ever give up hope.

Thank you for sharing that. It's nice to see some happiness on here. I'm currently going through counselling and cbt. It's helping a lot with my anxiety but it's still early days and we havnt got to the vomiting bit yet. She has made me realise though that Id rather be sick than see someone being sick, which I never even considered. But atm (like right now) I'm going through periods of being terrified of going to sleep coz I don't wanna wake up in the night and be sick. Did you ever have that fear? How did the thrive program help you exactly? Coz I read most of the book and it didn't help. I was going through my worst period at the time so maybe I should read it again. Look forward to hearing from you.

Default Re: My Story: I overcame emetophobia - and so can you! Never ever give up hope.

Hi Emma,

Thanks for taking the time to read my story. It's so good to see folk who are trying so hard to help themselves. Its very admirable.

CBT helped me a lot with my fear of other people being sick but not so much with the fear of myself. So I’d suggest sticking with it as I’m sure you’ll get a lot out of it. Maybe once you’re finished, I suspect you’ll still have some fear left - particularly regarding yourself, maybe pick up the book again. I’d suggest doing it separately from CBT and I’d suggest going through it slowly so you take it all in and do all the tasks. You can add me on facebook if it helps to talk it through when you’re working through it.

I did indeed wake up in panics regularly. Watch my video, you’ll see just how bad I had been. Thrive helped me take the control back and changed my whole belief system.

Well done for tackling this horrible phobia, brave thing to do. But you’re on the right track to cure yourself completely! It is possible

Katie

So happy you are free now! Can't wait for that day to come again.

I'm glad you say you're 100% cured. It's cheering to know that a total cure is possible. Every time I've had CBT they only seem to offer help to manage the phobia. I don't want to manage it - I've been managing it for 28 years and it's miserable! Anyway, I've seen so many glowing testimonials for Thrive that I'm going to get the book. Not sure exactly how it works though, it seems to be like some magic brain washing!

It's great that you've come on here to offer help, hope and encouragement. Thanks for that.

No magic in it pogopig, the power to overcome its all down to you, the book is just a guide to help you. If you've not already, join the facebook page "cure your emetophobia and thrive" there's lots of support on there from Rob, consultants and fellow thrivers. Hope to see you on it soon Well done for taking the step, than it itself in huge! You'll get there, it is possible to be free of it.