Welcome to the International Emetophobia Society | The Web's Largest Meeting Place for People With Emetophobia.

Exclamation New to this site, First panic attack about 4 weeks ago

Hi everyone. I just joined but I have been always on here reading peoples posts. I've been an emetaphobic for as long as I could remember and the last time I got S* when I was 8 years old. (I'm 17) my fear only went as far as seeing other people being s* and not going into public bathrooms because i'm afraid someone might run in and V* next to me. It never affected my life in terms of being afraid to go places and just live a normal life. Or if someone said they feel queasy or if they act like they might be S* my heart would start pounding and I would think of ways to leave. It was always just being concerned about other people. I never ever felt N* myself. About 4 weeks ago, I had my very first panic attack while eating dinner and I felt hot and weird and almost like I couldn't breath I was sitting at my kitchen table and literally just pushed myself away and ran right outside. I also noticed that while it was happening I kept on swallowing and I felt tingling in my face (It's really hard for me to right this right now) and I thought I was N* I think that's what made my heart pound faster and I kept getting flushed with anxiety I was so scared because I never ever experienced anything like that before. After that I started shaking and crying because I was in shock and it just happened out of no where. Over the past couple of weeks my appetite greatly decreased, I'm afraid to go out to stores and be in the car. The only place that I do actually convince myself to go is CBT therapy which I just started. I have good and bad days but this is generally what is happening. The second most terrifying panic attack I had was while I was with my mom in a store. I thought I was N* but I didn't feel anything in my stomach and I got these wierd sensations like I was about to... and all of a sudden I got a full blown panic attack, I went outside and sat on the bench for almost an hour and a half before I was ready to get back into the car and go back home. The only place I wanted to be in that moment was home but I was scared that if I went into the car I would get N* again or have an attack in the car. I made it home that day but that was the beginning of my fear for going out and being in a public place away from home. Sometimes I have anxiety attack out of nowhere for no reason and then it triggers my fear of getting N* or first I think of N* and then it triggers a panic attack. If someone with similar experiences could reply and give me some advice that would be really helpful. Everyday, having an anxiety attack is always on my mind as well as N* Sometimes if I think about it too much thats what triggers it but I just don't know how to get my mind off it. Ever since my first panic attack my life took a 180 degree turn around. Please Help. Thank You.

Default Re: New to this site, First panic attack about 4 weeks ago

Hi Samantha,

Not to worry - the anxiety results in a panic attack cycle - i suggest you google this - we all go through this. Its important to deep breathe when you feel one coming on and train your brain to think of other things.

Situations that make me anxious are things like:
    - extended bus trips
    - exams
    - sitting in stadiums where i am not directly on an aisle seat.

How I combat this - i think of a hobby or a great memory that is associated with those anxiety builders. See below.

Extended bus trip - I will think of fun experiences travelling with friends, or look out the window and acknowledge the beauty of the world.
    Exams - ones that I succeeded in with a great result.
    Stadiums - I think of highly exciting games and think of the atmosphere.

When we train our mind our anxiety will become less severe.

Keep going pal, you can do it.

Default Re: New to this site, First panic attack about 4 weeks ago

Hi there!

First of all, you are not alone. Many of us on here suffer the exact same thing you just described. Anxiety and panic attacks are horrible and I suffer daily from these things too.
    I recommend to not let it get too bad early on, so you've noticed that it has started getting worse. The worst thing you can do is avoid going to shops and getting in the car etc. because you're convincing yourself there is a real threat when really, these panic attacks you have experienced are not triggered by any real threat.
    So my biggest piece of advice is to not avoid things and try to live your life as normal as you can. I went through a stage of avoidance and it was the worst thing I did and took a lot of effort to try to do things normal people would do.

Keep seeing your therapist and do what you're told to do, good job on cbt therapy!

Never feel like an idiot or stupid or embarrassed from panicking in public, you'd be surprised how many people would know how you are feeling.

I also recommend doing as much research on panic attacks and anxiety as possible. The more you know and learn the better you are able to understand what is happening to your body when you are panicking... Such as understanding WHY you have tingling or feeling hot etc. Knowing why my body reacts that way helps me get out of the panic attack.

If you YouTube search: Zoella panic attacks... You may find that video helpful as she explain panic attacks in depth and from the point of view of someone that suffers from anxiety and panic attacks.

Hang in there, I onow exactly how you feel!

xxx