Welcome to the International Emetophobia Society | The Web's Largest Meeting Place for People With Emetophobia.

Default How to conceive myself to go to school ?

I been missing school because of my anxiety with this phobia. Every morning I wake up with a different feeling in either my stomach or throat and my first thoughts are "Oh no, not today". So I fight with my parent to let me stay home. 100% percent of the time it's nothing but my mind, yet I feel like it could be something. So how do I tell myslef to go school? Help please.

Default Re: How to conceive myself to go to school ?

Sorry to hear that you're struggling there-still-hope, I'm having the same sort of problem at the moment as I'm finding it difficult to go into university.

Like you said it's 100% in your head but if you're anything like me you find it difficult to convince yourself of that. Have you spoken to any teachers at school so they know about your situation? They can help you then with regards to missing lessons/ understanding why you've missed them and catching up.

How do you get to school may I ask? I have to get the train (20 minute journey) and it's constantly on my mind whether I'll get ill or somebody else. Walking with friends might be helpful (if you can obviously) as they will help take your mind off worrying.

Even though it's hard, you need to try at least going into school. You'll most likely forget about how you're feeling when you start getting on with your school work/seeing your friends etc.

Tell your parents to assist you in overcoming this. They can and should motivate you to get out the door.

The hardest part of the battle is the decision to face it. What's the WORST that could happen? You'd be sick. You're not going to be, but even if someday you were, SO WHAT???? You're bigger than this. You could handle it. You'd survive. You WOULD.

You're missing out on SO MUCH by closing yourself off. I loved high school. The friendships, the drama, the relationships, all of it! It was the best! Even if you were go be sick it would be better than hanging out at home alone day after day. I will tell you though that when I was in high school I NEVER washed my hands. EVER. I was gross. Guess how many times I was ill - 0. The only thing you're protecting yourself from is happiness.

Go to school! Live your life! Be with your friends! Show this fear who's boss!

I agree with Syrups wonderful post!! You are missing out! I'm with her, when I was in high school (way before I became emet) I only washed my hands probably when I went to the bathroom and I can't even guarantee I did then sometimes, I never had a sv* when I was in middle or high school. The last time I had one was when I was 7 years old and not again until I was 24. You are fine, go enjoy your life!

Think about this: when you do go to school even if you feel odd and you later realize you weren't sick, it's a little victory! It's so hard not to let the phobia run our lives. Once I was going on a mission trip and I woke up in the morning feeling awful and planned on not going, but I fought through the morning and I was completely fine! Your fear will play tricks on you, but you can do it! Don't let it ruin your plans. If you have good hygeine chances are you are safe anyway.