Welcome to the International Emetophobia Society | The Web's Largest Meeting Place for People With Emetophobia.

Default I have the flu!! And some questions

Hi everyone! So I woke up this morning around 5am with a fever and I just went down to the clinic and I have influenza a. The doctor prescribed tamiflu for me but I've heard side effects include n*, v*, and d*. 9% of people v* apparently. Have any of you ever taken it? How was it? Also, I've heard that you'll be fine if you don't take it on an empty stomach. I don't really have an appetite today so I only had some soup and noodles. Am I good if I take tamiflu now? It doesn't really count as an empty stomach since I've eaten something right? Thanks in advance

Default Re: I have the flu!! And some questions

I'm not the best person to listen to regarding medication so please take this with a grain of salt. I wouldn't take Tamiflu even if someone paid me. This is the emet talking, but anything that warns "could cause mild to moderate vomiting" is not something i would ever voluntarily take. Also, from what I understand, it only lessens influenza symptoms by a couple days. Thanks, but no thanks-I will suffer with influenza a few days longer rather than take that risk. Just worth it to me,
    That said, I have a colleage who took it a couple months ago and didn't v from it and she did say she felt better after a few days of being on it.
    Jennifer
    “The mind is its own place, and in itself can make a heaven of hell, a hell of heaven..”
    ― John Milton, Paradise Lost

My son took it last year (he was 7 then) and he didn't even get a upset stomach. His first dose he only ate a few bites of soup too. I think you will be fine! Feel better it sucks!

My son had no problems from it. My daughter got crampos and d**, so we stopped it the second day. I won't take it if I get the flu even though my meet is not too bad these days. I just don't want to risk feeling any worse. I hope you feel better soon!

My kids and I have all been on Tamiflu and not v* from it. But, I did make sure to eat something substantial before I took it. Hope you feel better!!!

Thank you all for your responses! I took Tamiflu around 12 hours ago and haven't felt any stomach discomfort at all, just some n* from anxiety I think. And a bit of insomnia, probably from sleeping all day yesterday LOL! Fingers crossed that the next few doses will be ok too

personally I just tough out the flu. My son had it in the winter and I had it in January and yes, it sucked and we had high fevers, but we were both better in a few days (but weak for a week after). I felt no need since we had flu shots too. Not to avoid v but because I don't feel we need it. If my son was an infant or I was much much older, than I would take it. But in my 30's I felt healthy enough to take advil and rest.

Again, your choice. Its a virus so you can fight it fine. Just hydrate, eat gently and rest a LOT. It takes a good week to end. Don't expect a miracle. Plus you have to take tamiflu within 48 hours or onset, so you may be past that window. And it only shortens duration, it doesn't make it go away like if you had strep and took amox.

Shortening the duration of flu is NOT a bad thing. Doctors never say that it cures you, just helps lessen the time you are sick. I get the shot each year and take measures to stay healthy, but family is just lucky that we seem prone to not getting the flu. Of which I am very thankful. The flu is no joke. It kills 1000s of people every year just in the U.S alone. At its highest in the past 30 years, it killed around 30,000 people. Anything to make yourself feel better faster and is safe to do is a good thing. I hope you feel better soon. Flu season is almost over thank goodness.
    "And though she be but little, she is fierce"~Helena, A Midsummer Night's Dream

Both my kids had the flu over the fall/winter months and they both took tamiflu. With my youngest son it was a miracle worker for him. He was in a bad shape and within a few hours of taking it he was a brand new kid. With my oldest it helped but not near as well as it did with my other son. It didn't cause v* or d* in either of them. I hope you feel better!!!

hope you feel better soon!! I believe I've had the flu once and I had a high fever, couldn't breathe, etc. but I was younger and had no insurance so I just treated at home. I would probably take Tamiflu now, maybe, since I have a 3 year old to take care of