Welcome to the International Emetophobia Society | The Web's Largest Meeting Place for People With Emetophobia.

I ask a simple question: Can people be cured of emetophobia? And if so, then how? I was wondering if maybe there are a lot more people than I think that have been cured, but no one knows about them because they don't go on line to talk about it. I also know that a lot of people had this fear as children, but then they either got sick and it went away, or it just went away on its own. What do you guys think?

sage, from this site, has.

Does she still post here?
    I must face my fear.
    I will allow it to pass over and through me.
    When it has gone past I will turn my inner eye to see it\'s path.
    Where it has gone there will be nothing. Only I will remain. -Dune

Yep, she does, but she only pops in once every couple of weeks. I'm using her hierarchy for my therapy.
    Ultimately we know deeply that the other side of every fear is a freedom. - Marilyn Ferguson

Habituation always defeats fear. - Edmund Bourne

She would just say to check the treatments forum. ^^ She has put up a lot of information that you can look at. By the way, Welcome!

But other than that I think there is just therapy? Sorry, I've never had any help with this before as my parents think i'm "being ridiculous" I'm only 16 so I can't do much. *shrugs*
    <font color=PINK><center>Believe in Yourself</center></font>

HI guys,

I'm "popping in"! Thanks for answering the way I would, and directing people to the Treatments forum!

And to answer the original post - yes - many people have been successfully treated for this phobia. It takes a lot of work, but it's possible.
    For more info about emetophobia and treatment:

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
    DISCLAIMER ~ Any advice I give on this forum is well-intentioned and given as to a peer or friend or for educational purposes. It does not in any way constitute psychotherapeutic or medical advice. Please discuss anything you may learn from my posts with your doctor and psychotherapist prior to making any decisions or changes or taking any actions.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Where is the treatment thread?

YOu're ON IT! Go to the top of the section where all the info is posted on "sticky posts" (the ones with the icons of push-pins on it)

GAK...just venting in general that this info isn't more accessible or easy to find on this site. I've tried to convince John to put it on the homepage under its own section, but to no avail. Maybe some of the rest of you can get after him?

DISCLAIMER ~ Any advice I give on this forum is well-intentioned and given as to a peer or friend or for educational purposes. It does not in any way constitute psychotherapeutic or medical advice. Please discuss anything you may learn from my posts with your doctor and psychotherapist prior to making any decisions or changes or taking any actions.

Hi Skactor and others,

I'm mindful that a lot of times when I post, I wind up plugging my own site, and that's really not what I mean to do, but since you asked, there are a bunch of stories of people being cured of emet on my web site. You can find them at http://faq.emetophobia.net

Doug

Hi Doug,

I've checked out your stories on your site, but, although there are stories of "cure", they seem to all involve vomiting, which is described quite graphically,and although it doesn't bother me (except for intellectually) I think they could be quite troublesome to most people on this site. I am also afraid that those stories will scare people away from seeking standard, consistent treatment that has excellent results and does not involve vomiting.

I say in my academic paper: "getting an emetophobe to vomit is like telling asexual assaultvictim they have to have a goal of non-consentual sex so they get over it..."...crazy.

Anyway, just posting this as a kind of warning to some...the stories of "cure" are more scary than helpful, but that's just imo.