Welcome to the International Emetophobia Society | The Web's Largest Meeting Place for People With Emetophobia.

Default Help! Is my daughter now at risk? (Really worried)

Hi everyone

My 4 year old daughter attends a morning Playgroup and when we arrived there today, two different parents told me that their child had suddenly v* yesterday without no warning! It was only the once and no d* and later on they managed to eat ok and keep it down and were now fine.

I am now really freaking out! Shouldn't the children have stayed off Playgroup for 48 hours after the v* incident? Even though they seemed fine afterwards? I am scared that my daughter will now catch something and I am watching her every move

One of the children concerned is one of my daughter's best friends aswell and so they are very close and play together a lot at Playgroup. Do you think she is at risk seeing as it wasn't even 24 hours since said child v*?

Default Re: Help! Is my daughter now at risk? (Really worried)

Geez. I don't know why parents do this! So annoying. Unfortunately, given that it was so close to when they were sick, that would put your daughter at risk. Hopefully after the children were ill they were cleaned up well. The good news is that even if she does catch it (fingers crossed she avoids it!) it sounds to be a really mild bug (if that's even what it is). I know you feel that you can't handle it, but you CAN! You're strong and capable. Let the moms know that in the future they should wait AT LEAST 24 hours before exposing their children to others after v*ing. That was really inconsiderate of them.

Ugh, when it's something that can be avoided I don't understand why parents do this. Like Syrup said, the good news it seems to be really mild, if it is a bug. After playgroup maybe give your daughter a bath and change her clothes just to be safe.

OMG my daughter has since told me that she was running around with said friend and holding her hand!! I washed my daughter's hands thoroughly when she got home before eating her lunch but what if she had put her fingers in her mouth or something at Playgroup?? And they also eat a snack there together mid-morning!!!!

I know easier said than done but try not to panic. I'm sure the little girl has had a bath and washed her hands since the event. She didn't v or have d at playgroup so she should be fine. I'm sorry your going through this.

Have you spoken with the directors of the Daycare/Playgroup? It's unacceptable that they are allowing children to be there participating in activities within 24 hours of v*ing. When I was a Preschool teacher I had to send kids home on more than one occasion because they showed up and either I knew that they had been ill from another parent/facebook or their children told me that they had been ill. It's not ok. Call the school.

I agree with syrup. They shouldnt be allowed to participate. I just had to send one of my daycare kids home because she was having d* probably caught from us but just in case.

Quote Originally Posted by Syrup View Post
    Have you spoken with the directors of the Daycare/Playgroup? It's unacceptable that they are allowing children to be there participating in activities within 24 hours of v*ing. When I was a Preschool teacher I had to send kids home on more than one occasion because they showed up and either I knew that they had been ill from another parent/facebook or their children told me that they had been ill. It's not ok. Call the school.
    ^^This. 100%

Quote Originally Posted by Syrup View Post

When I was a nanny, I worked with several families. I had a rule that I wouldn't watch sick kids and if they had a sv* I wouldn't watch them until the LAST child had been well for 72 hours. I worked with 4 families - a total of 12 kids - and didn't want to run the risk of getting sick myself (and thus losing work) or getting my other families sick. All the parents were more than happy to comply!

i did make small exceptions tho, like when the family of 4 all came down with strep, including their mom (dad was on a business trip) and the mom got so sick she developed scarlet fever. Contrary to popular belief, not everyone can catch strep - some people, like myself, are merely carriers for the virus. She called me crying, could I please come and take care of them, she couldn't get out of bed. So I did. And then I quarantined myself afterward so as not to pass it to any of the other families.

How did things turn out?