Welcome to the International Emetophobia Society | The Web's Largest Meeting Place for People With Emetophobia.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default How long does rotavirus last and are you immune after?

My family all has or had rotavirus recently. My youngest son began with it just over 2 weeks ago. I thought it was noro because he began with a low grade fever, complaining of a headache and had v* I freaked out but really tried not to panic. He was tired a lot for a couple days when the d* began 2 days later. The d* continued for about 5 or 6 days before he was back to himself. No idea it was rotavirus, I figured it was from having noro and his stomach just took a while to get back to normal. I was freaking out the whole week cleaning, washing hands etc. That was just over a week ago. Last Monday night I began with having aches in my legs but thought it was from doing yard work the day before so I didn't think anything of it. I woke up in the middle of the night Monday night/early Tuesday morning and felt n* but not enough I couldn't go back to sleep. I went back to bed and woke up as usual at 7 am to get the boys up for school. I got up and quickly realized I wasn't feeling well. I had a terrible headache and my legs were really sore and I just felt really off. At that point I realized something was up and thought I was getting my sons sv*. As the day progressed the headache got worse and I spiked a fever. By Tuesday night my fever was 104.1 and I was having d* had gone about 6 times at least, maybe more. I had my husband take me to the ER because the fever was so high. Still unaware what could be wrong and figured it was a bad stomach bug but was starting to doubt it was noro because I didn't think noro caused a fever like that. I left the ER with the Dr. telling me it was just a virus. Anyway, by Wednesday night the fever was gone, aches were subsiding and I was feeling a lot better but the d* was still happening 4-6 times a day. By Wednesday night my husband and oldest son were running fevers and having headaches too. By Thursday afternoon they were left with just d* like me. It is now Monday morning, 6 days later and I feel fine energy wise and all but the D* is still occurring at least 2-3 times a day, its' better but still there. Same with my husband and son. I really thought this would be over by now, as with my youngest it was and he was back to normal. After doing a lot of research, I'm pretty positive we have rotavirus. My friends son (who is in my youngest sons class) was out sick and the Dr. said it's heavy in our area right now causing most sv* right now. I found out I also have a UTI and have to start antibiotics today and I'm worried it'll make the d* even worse. How much longer is this going to last? Also after you've had it are you immune for a while like noro?

Default Re: How long does rotavirus last and are you immune after?

Anyone? I googled it and everywhere says 3-8 days. Today is day 6 so I guess at least a couple more days I assume. geez!

Hmmmmm, Rotavirus lasts (on average) a solid week in young children and infants. EVERYONE has had at least 1 infection by age 5. Each time you catch it (most kids yearly) the symptoms typically decrease. So, for most, the first infection is the worst. My boys both had it as toddlers and it was gross, but neither my husband nor I caught it. I've never heard of aches and pains with Rota - just d* and a fever. I'm thinking you had something else, honestly. Our pediatrician diagnosed my oldest when he was 18 months through a stool sample (he was in bad shape) and assured my husband and I that she'd never had parents in her practice fall ill with more than an upset stomach AT MOST. She said that by mid-childhood most kids have caught it enough to be non-symptomatic. My boys have never been as sick as they were when they caught it as toddlers, thankfully! Given that you ALL caught it it honestly sounds like something different. Check out:
    http://www.mayoclinic.org/diseases-c...s/con-20026103
    Again, mild to no symptoms for adults is the norm for Rota. Whatever you've had though I think that you can rest assured that you're immune for a bit!

I've read it can affect adults. Whatever it was it was pretty brutul. Constant stomach cramps and lots of d* and fevers. The aches were just the first day. Definitely not noro so idk. Whatever it was my youngest son started it but his was much shorter and not as bad. He did have rota when he was a baby so maybe that is why is wasn't as bad for him. I don't recall ever having anything like this in my life. It was awful.

My youngest son did have 1 episode of v* nobody else had v, thankfully!! What would cause these symptoms you think? I looked up different types of sv* and all I found was noro, rota mainly a few others as well but none really fit the bill besides noro and rota. Such a mystery.
    Last edited by Leslie735; 04-27-2015 at 03:30 PM.

Honestly my kiddo had rotavirus recently and he was about 2 weeks until he was 100% d* free. And I just want to add that after the first week it was literally just once in the morning, no cramps, no nothing else, just the one episode of d* for about a week. My son (7) is on the autism spectrum and not 100% potty trained, not quite sure how I avoided it actually lol.

But.

Can I be really gross and ask a TMI question here?

If the d* is/was greenish/green/yellowish and really smelly it's likely rotavirus. Yes, I know that's disgusting. Sorry.

Either way, you will feel better soon! And yes, you will be immune after infection as well. Whatever you are all experiencing, it's not fun. But it WILL end. ((hugs))

ChiGal: That is EXACTLY what we are experiencing. The morning stomach cramps and d* Today was the first day in a week that did not happen to me so I'm having hopes it's coming to an end! There is no TMI on this forum, lol. Yes, greenish/yellowish D* and extremely foul. When my son was in the bathroom a couple days ago I could smell it in the other room and he had the door shut. I'm pretty confident rota is what we've been dealing with. I was under the impression adults can't catch it but after doing a lot of google research, that is not the case. Adults can get it, its just more mild. I would hate to see what a severe case would look like because this was awful and I'm actually having anxiety that it'll happen again and d* wasn't what I've always been afraid of, not fun, sure, but not scared of it.

I'll bet that's what you all had/have - and it sounds like it is tapering off too! Yay! Give in a few days and I bet you will all be 100%.

As far as immunity his pediatrician told me that after infection about some people will be immune and others will just get even milder symptoms until they become immune. Now, not sure she's 100% correct but who knows.

Quote Originally Posted by ChiGal View Post
    I'll bet that's what you all had/have - and it sounds like it is tapering off too! Yay! Give in a few days and I bet you will all be 100%.

As far as immunity his pediatrician told me that after infection about some people will be immune and others will just get even milder symptoms until they become immune. Now, not sure she's 100% correct but who knows.
    Yea, that is what I've heard. I agree with her, my youngest son had rota when he was about 4 months old (between getting the vaccines for it) and it was pretty bad. A solid week of v* and d* multiple times a day. It was very scary to see a 4 month old baby go through that. I took him to the Dr. and I thought he shouldn've been in the hospital, no doubt, but he just told me to let it run it's course. Thankfully he would drink pedialyte so I kept him hydrated. We no longer see that Dr. So when he started with it 2 weeks ago (he's 6 now) it wasn't so bad. He had v* one time followed by a fever and fatigue for a couple of days. Then the d* started and lasted 4 or 5 days but it wasn't bad at all. I really thought he had a bout of noro and his digestive track just got thrown off. He hardly complained, ate normal and was fine a few days later. My oldest son, same thing, he had a day of a tummy ache, fever, fatigue and just generally not feeling well, never did v* though. Then 2 days later the d* started. His only lasted 3 days, lucky kid! Now for my husband and I it was much worse. I woke up feeling n* and a terrible headache. By that evening I was having d* and I had a 104.1 fever and chills. Went to the ER and they told me it was just a virus to let it runs it's course. By Wednesday night the fever had broke but the d* was awful. It was up to 8 times a day I'd say and that evening my husband started feeling bad, high fever, chills, fatigue and d* as well. My husband took 6 days to get over the d* and today is day 8 for me and I'm still getting it once or twice a day but it's defiantly better. The stomach cramps were the worst, thankfully those seem to have passed. Nasty virus that I hope I never get again!

My goodness! My youngest son had rota at about 2 years old. He had v first then a good 8 days or so of cramps and foul smelling d that gave him the worst diaper rash I have ever seen. I don't recall a fever though. Thankfully no one else got it. I was told you can only get it once but it sounds like I may have been given erroneous information. In any event, my son is 18 now and he never had it again, thank heavens. It was a horror show that I dealt with all on my own. I thought I would have a breakdown if I had to change one more nasty d diaper! This happened 16 years ago yet I remember it like it was yesterday. I really hope you are all on the mend now and that you never have to go through this again.

Quote Originally Posted by tiredofitall View Post
    My goodness! My youngest son had rota at about 2 years old. He had v first then a good 8 days or so of cramps and foul smelling d that gave him the worst diaper rash I have ever seen. I don't recall a fever though. Thankfully no one else got it. I was told you can only get it once but it sounds like I may have been given erroneous information. In any event, my son is 18 now and he never had it again, thank heavens. It was a horror show that I dealt with all on my own. I thought I would have a breakdown if I had to change one more nasty d diaper! This happened 16 years ago yet I remember it like it was yesterday. I really hope you are all on the mend now and that you never have to go through this again.
    Its an experience I don't think I'll forget, I haven't forgotten my youngets sons experience when he was a baby, that is for sure! It's been 9 days and my stomach still isn't 100% I keep thinking I'm feeling better then I'll get a bout of d* and cramps. :/

BTW, a friend recently had similar symptoms to you and it was confirmed that she had Shigella. I'd never heard of it. I asked my friend, a nurse, what it was and she said it was, 'like Rotavirus, but everyone gets it, even adults ' she also said that UNLIKE Rota there are major cramps involved. Fabulous! I'm wondering if that's what you guys have. I really don't think an adult would have Rota for 10+ days, though I could be wrong! Check it out:
    http://www.cdc.gov/shigella/

And, joy of all joys, there have been outbreaks across the US since the beginning of April! Come on Summer!!!!
    http://www.usnews.com/news/articles/...-across-the-us

Quote Originally Posted by Syrup View Post
    And, joy of all joys, there have been outbreaks across the US since the beginning of April! Come on Summer!!!!
    http://www.usnews.com/news/articles/...-across-the-us

Well that is just scary! I'm actually taking Cipro right now for a UTI, which they found that night I went to the ER. Today is day 9, while the d* and cramps are better, they are still there just mild compared to before. My husband and son seemed to have recovered though. Now I'm freaking out! Do I need to go get an antibiotic for this?

Did some more reading, its' hard to say. I'm reading that the d* is usually bloody and mucusy. I don't have either of those, and far as I know either did my husband and son. Eeek, either way I'm freaked out and want it to go away!

Quote Originally Posted by Leslie735 View Post
    Did some more reading, its' hard to say. I'm reading that the d* is usually bloody and mucusy. I don't have either of those, and far as I know either did my husband and son. Eeek, either way I'm freaked out and want it to go away!
    Yes, my friend's wasn't bloody either. She said she didn't know if it was mucous-like as it was mainly water. GROSS! My nurse friend said that it was just d*, the other symptoms happen "sometimes". YUCK! Regardless, glad you're on the mend!

yikes. both sound so bad. regardless of whether it is rota or shigella, it sounded bad and miserable and lasted too long. I think the key is that you guys are feeling better and on the mend and we, as a group, are more educated about it. feel better!!!

Quote Originally Posted by mdgirl1977 View Post
    yikes. both sound so bad. regardless of whether it is rota or shigella, it sounded bad and miserable and lasted too long. I think the key is that you guys are feeling better and on the mend and we, as a group, are more educated about it. feel better!!!
    Yea, you learn something everyday. Bacteria freaks me out way more than a virus does though. I think its because you have no immunity to it at all, you can get it again quickly. I have to need to bleach the crud out of my house now. I'm out of bleach too, I used it all up earlier this week. Guess I better make a store run!
    Last edited by Leslie735; 04-30-2015 at 10:12 AM.

Yea, you learn something everyday. Bacteria freaks me out way more than a virus does though. I think its because you have no immunity to it at all, you can get it again quickly. I have to need to bleach the crud out of my house now. I'm out of bleach too, I used it all up earlier this week. Guess I better make a store run!

No, no, no, you don't need an antibiotic or to bleach. It's over and done with. Honestly, you're done. Relax. I was only bringing attention to it as I knew you were wondering what the heck you had and then when my friend called to tell me about this 'weird thing' she had I thought of you. My friend isn't on anything, this thing is drug resistant and you just have to let it run it's course. You've done that. Everyone survived and it's gone. It may not have even been Shigella! I thought that this would make you feel better since you were trying to locate the cause - so sorry if it freaked you out! It's gone. Don't clean. You're strong and healthy!

No, no, no, you don't need an antibiotic or to bleach. It's over and done with. Honestly, you're done. Relax. I was only bringing attention to it as I knew you were wondering what the heck you had and then when my friend called to tell me about this 'weird thing' she had I thought of you. My friend isn't on anything, this thing is drug resistant and you just have to let it run it's course. You've done that. Everyone survived and it's gone. It may not have even been Shigella! I thought that this would make you feel better since you were trying to locate the cause - so sorry if it freaked you out! It's gone. Don't clean. You're strong and healthy!

Thank you! I was really freaking out. Thing is, if it is a bacteria woudln't I need to re clean to kill it so we don't catch it again? You don't develop immunity to bacteria right? Maybe I'll run to the store tonight to grab some more bleach and just mop the floors with it and such just for good measure. Either way, it'll help me feel better and bonus I'll have a clean house.

Thank you! I was really freaking out. Thing is, if it is a bacteria woudln't I need to re clean to kill it so we don't catch it again? You don't develop immunity to bacteria right? Maybe I'll run to the store tonight to grab some more bleach and just mop the floors with it and such just for good measure. Either way, it'll help me feel better and bonus I'll have a clean house.
    I looked it up and this is what I found:

rates for this pathogen indicate natural immunity does develop following exposure

So, once you've had it you're immune. Regardless of what it is, you really are ok! You can't rematch a virus that quickly and if it was something bacterial it looks like you build a natural immunity - so relax (as hard as it is!), bleach if you feel the need but there's really no reason, you're good!

I looked it up and this is what I found:

rates for this pathogen indicate natural immunity does develop following exposure

So, once you've had it you're immune. Regardless of what it is, you really are ok! You can't rematch a virus that quickly and if it was something bacterial it looks like you build a natural immunity - so relax (as hard as it is!), bleach if you feel the need but there's really no reason, you're good!
    Ok phew! Thank you!!! I'll do my regular cleaning this weekend like I always do. Maybe I'll do some extra bleaching in the bathrooms though.

EVERYONE has had at least 1 infection by age 5.
    I don't think I've ever had it. I've only had one bug before, and I was about 3. It was rapid, I v*d about 3 times and was fine the next morning. My whole family caught it and were sick for about 24 hours each, and caught it pretty quick! Unless I'm freakishly lucky and never had bad symptoms...

Leslie, hope you're on the mend. I can't imagine how exhausted you must be, physically and mentally, and hopefully you're back to your normal self soon. No fun at all, but you've been strong throughout and are handling it well!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
    Att våga är att tappa fotfästet en stund, att inte våga är att förlora sig själv."
    "To dare is to lose your foothold for a moment, to not dare is to lose yourself."

Thank Killyn_23, I think I'm FINALLY getting better. Today is the first day, so far, I had a normal BM (sorry TMI) and have been feeling pretty good. YAY!

Thank Killyn_23, I think I'm FINALLY getting better. Today is the first day, so far, I had a normal BM (sorry TMI) and have been feeling pretty good. YAY!
    Great to hear!!!

Just got a message from one of the parents, the 15 month old has a fever. He was last here Friday. I bet he caught what we had.

Just got a message from one of the parents, the 15 month old has a fever. He was last here Friday. I bet he caught what we had.
    Not necessarily, at 15 months it could be ANYTHING! He could have an ear infection or even be breaking his molars. Really, if it was what you guys had I'm sure the parents would have said hat he was suffering intestinal stuff, not just a fever. xoxo

Possibly and likely, but a fever is how it all began with all.of us. Here's to hoping and praying!!

You may find the following thread useful: http://www.emetophobia.org/showthrea...aybe-triggers)

I haven't read through the replies of this thread as only have a short amount of time here, but from the sounds of your first post it is unmistakably Rotavirus. The sudden onset of fever with d* lasting around 5-6 days with the d* sometimes lasting up to 10 days is classic Rotavirus. Contrary to popular belief, adults don't develop immunity to Rotavirus, although infections in adults tend to be milder (due to previous infection in childhood) and so v* less much less common and many Rotavirus infection in adults can be asymptomatic.

Hope you are on the mend anyway.
    The frog has retired. Occasionally he reads PMs, when he isn't hopping around happily from one lily pad to another. He wishes you all the very best, and hopes that you find the archive of his posts informative.

Quote Originally Posted by SilentFrog View Post
    You may find the following thread useful: http://www.emetophobia.org/showthrea...aybe-triggers)

I haven't read through the replies of this thread as only have a short amount of time here, but from the sounds of your first post it is unmistakably Rotavirus. The sudden onset of fever with d* lasting around 5-6 days with the d* sometimes lasting up to 10 days is classic Rotavirus. Contrary to popular belief, adults don't develop immunity to Rotavirus, although infections in adults tend to be milder (due to previous infection in childhood) and so v* less much less common and many Rotavirus infection in adults can be asymptomatic.

Hope you are on the mend anyway.
    Thank you for the link, I had looked at that a while back but not since we've been sick. I'm 99% sure we had rotavirus as well. It fit the bill perfectly. In total it took about 10 days to go away for me, 8 for my husband and 9 for my oldest son. My younget son got lucky with only 5 days total. My digestive system still isn't 100% but could be because I started an antibiotic for something else a few days ago.
    Last edited by Leslie735; 05-04-2015 at 07:42 AM.