Welcome to the International Emetophobia Society | The Web's Largest Meeting Place for People With Emetophobia.

Default i don't think i can do it....

so i have to get on a plane tomorrow from LA to NYC and it's about 6 hours. Planes and travel are by far the worst thing for me. i spend the entire 6 hours at my max stress level. i take dramamine but i am so worked up that i don't sleep. i got xanax from a friend so i may take that but i don't want to mix it with another medication without testing it first. i want to go home (NYC) but i really think this time i may chicken out. last time i was on the plane someone v* and i just really dk if i can do this.
    “A man that flies from his fear may find that he has only taken a short cut to meet it.”

Default Re: i don't think i can do it....

I have never seen someone v on a plane and I've flown a lot in my day. I HATE flying too, but it helps me to think logically. It's 6 hours out of your LIFE. The blink of an eye. I would take the Xanax instead of the Dramamine (not both together). On long flights I've taken Ativan too and it's good. Just watch 2 or 3 movies and you'll be done!

yeah I used to fly a ton and similarly, never saw anyone v. and if they DID you could bet it was from air sickness and not a sv. that being said, I would avoid meds if you can and have never used them. maybe dramamine OR ativan. I would also tell the flight attendants that you are a nervous flier -- usually they can set you in an area near them or they will check on your a lot more. also explain you are fearful of v and maybe you can get an empty row or an empty seat next to you/move from kids. seriously, they want you to be comfortable so you don't freak out on the plane. and I am sure it will be fine - just get on the plane, get headphones in, a magazine, whatever...and count down. once you are in the air, it is just hours. you can do it. and if it makes you happier - weather is going to be perfect (I am in DC a few hours south).

Yes, don't chicken out!! You will be so glad you did it! I hate flying but what helps me is just keeping busy. I bring magazines that I really like and don't get a chance to read. Maybe some word puzzles. I usually fly only 3 hours away (from CT to FL), but you can do this!! I take Ativan on occasion, only .5mg and it just "takes the edge off" as they say. You could try it if you get really nervous. Xanax is similar. Hope you go. Take care!!

thanks for responses guys.
    “A man that flies from his fear may find that he has only taken a short cut to meet it.”

Xanax is great for flights. It's the only way I can deal with them.

How did you do?

it was the hardest thing i've ever done. my flight was delayed 5 hours so i became more worried as the hours passed. i walked to baggage claim TWICE and was really about the leave the airport. i forced myself on and felt real real n* because i hadn't eaten and slept for half an hour only the right before. i took a dramamine and a zofran which left me quite dizzy and the n* subsided after 3 hours of the flight. i made it through but unless i make a major change i can't see getting on another any time soon.

idk why it gets worse with every plane i take. i think i find more ways to worry.

I hate flying too but I fly between the uk and ireland about 5 times a year because my whole family live in Ireland and I work in the uk! My stress levels are also maxed out on these days especially in the run up to it .. Ive flown different places my whole life and only once seen someone run for the loo to v* and he was part of a large group of drunken goms so I'm 100% positive he drank too much!
    I used to fly and try to bear the anxiety but the last couple of times ive taken anti sickness tablets prior to flying for my own peace of mind ive spoken to my doctor about this and she says it's fine to take them on occasions like this even thou i don't need them. And I always eat beforehand aswel I could never fly on an empty stomach or go in a car it's bound to make anyone nauseous..

On a lighter note I can never understand why everywhere is so far away in America, 6 hours flight from New York to Los Angeles I know it's a big country but jesus like lol it only takes an hour to get from the uk to Ireland and I bitch and moan about that :/

Flying is one of the hardest things for me to do. My way of coping is to keep headphones with music in and turned up loud enough that if someone is sick I wont hear it. I also spend most of the flight with my eyes closed even if I'm not tired... That way I can't see if if someone is sick. I will pay extra for a window seat because that feels safer. And if the person sitting beside me shift/moves I worry they're goin to be sick (sometimes I peek out of my closed eyes to ressure myself theyre not.) It's terrible - I spend most of the time counting down the hours until it's over and talking myself out of panic attacks. But the destination is always worth it, so don't give up on flying!

for me other people being sick is less of a worry (it has happened before) it's more that i always feel sick. the sad part is that can't rationalize it anymore with "what are the chances i'll be sick?" because it has become "what are the chances i'll be sick from panic? 100%."

Ahhh dw I'm sure you'll be fine. I've gone on planes dozens of times and I've never seen anyone v*. Infact, I go on a plane 2-3 times a year! So I'm sure you'll be fine. Infact, It might be an enjoyable experience!

Are you telling yourself that you have a 100% chance of being sick from panic? That's not even logical and you are logical. It's very hard, but vital to getting better is to work instantly with any such thoughts that "c'mon, that's not even possible, don't even think such things." I find just telling myself that I am fine over and over and over again even when I don't feel fine at all actually does work and I do end up just fine. I'm sorry that happened to you on your last trip. Big worry of mine as well, but I do fear others vomiting as well as myself. However, it is not that common and highly unlikely to happen on any future trips. Maybe right now you need to focus on the general anxiety and avoid flying if you can, but don't write it off. If it scares you that much it's actually rather important that you do try and fly again, just a short flight, so that if you have to fly in the future you won't be in full-fledged panic mode. Remember, as bad as it seemed, you made it through the flight home just fine and all was well. You didn't think you could, but you DID and you should be proud of that
    "And though she be but little, she is fierce"~Helena, A Midsummer Night's Dream