Welcome to the International Emetophobia Society | The Web's Largest Meeting Place for People With Emetophobia.

Default How long does raw chicken last in the fridge?

I bought some boneless chicken breast Monday and I forgot about the chicken until yesterday. So i put one package on the freezer and one is still in the fridge. The expiration date isn't until may 3rd or something. But I'm still scared to eat it.
    Would you?

Default Re: How long does raw chicken last in the fridge?

You're fine until the date on the package in the fridge

I keep it 48 hours in the fridge max before using. If I am going to freeze, I freeze right away. But I am a freak. I don't know about those expiration dates on raw meats, they are usually pretty far in the future, but I always heard to use within a few days of purchase.

I look at it this way. If i buy it and the sell by date is 5 days away, i know is going to be in the refrigerated case at the grocery store until that date ANYWAY. Whats the difference between that and being in my fridge? We usually use it within that time frame anyway, but if we arent, i throw it in the freezer, sometimes ON the date on the packaging. Never had an issue

Quote Originally Posted by Shubertgoddess View Post
    I look at it this way. If i buy it and the sell by date is 5 days away, i know is going to be in the refrigerated case at the grocery store until that date ANYWAY. Whats the difference between that and being in my fridge? We usually use it within that time frame anyway, but if we arent, i throw it in the freezer, sometimes ON the date on the packaging. Never had an issue
    Yes. I get weirded out about meat and this is what I always tell myself. If the date on the package is fine, so is the meat!

Quote Originally Posted by Shubertgoddess View Post
    ^This! I am the same way.

Quote Originally Posted by ChiGal View Post
    ^This! I am the same way.
    Agree and above, the 1-2 days is the rule for ground meats as they are at a higher risk than most meats for contamination. I also tend to go by the sell by date. Freeze is unused. It will be fine and never had an issue to date. Knock on wood, though I am very careful.
    "And though she be but little, she is fierce"~Helena, A Midsummer Night's Dream