Welcome to the International Emetophobia Society | The Web's Largest Meeting Place for People With Emetophobia.

Default Why does it just keep on showing up!! UGH!

As most of you know, my entire family (4 of us) broke up with a sv* last month. I'm pretty sure we had rotavirus (started off with fevers, n*, my youngest son had v* and then a week of watery d* and stomach cramps). We FINALLY seem to be past it. My oldest son was still having stomach cramps and some d* over the weekend but has been good the last couple of days. I run a daycare in my home and take care of 3 kids under the age of 3. One of the little ones, she is 2.5 caught it but hers was very brief, less than 48 hours. My guess is because she had the rota vaccine when she was a baby and the Dr. said it significantly shortens the duration and the symptoms but may not take it away completely. The other two seemed to have avoided it, so I thought. I got a message from the youngest one I keep (15 months) Mom on Sunday night saying he had a fever and some diarrhea but not too bad. She chalked it up to him cutting teeth but kept him home on Monday to be safe. By last night she said his fever was gone and was acting normal so he would be coming today (Tuesday). Well early this morning I got a message from her saying she wasn't bringing him because he v* twice this morning. She said he had no fever just the v*. So now I'm freaking out! I don't know if it's what we had or not. It's hard to tell! He was on vacation until last Wednesday so he wasn't around during the brunt of when we had it and he came back to my house on Thursday AFTER I had cleaned the entire house with bleach and lysol spray. So I'm wondering if he picked up something somewhere else and it could be noro. In that case, I'm freaking out! I'm so tired of having a sv* in my house so tired of having d* and stomach cramps and my kids complaining of their stomachs hurting. It's been a LONNNNNGGG 3 weeks (yes 3 weeks, this began over 3 weeks ago when my youngest started with it). What do you all think? He may be coming back tomorrow, not sure yet. I'm freaking out!!!
    Last edited by Leslie735; 05-05-2015 at 07:41 AM.

Default Re: Why does it just keep on showing up!! UGH!

When my oldest had Rota 8 years ago he had d* AND v*ing on and off for a week. For days he's just have d* and then I'd think he was getting better and BOOM! he'd v*. With Rota MOST kids are lactose intolerant for up to a month. I've known more than one family who've had kids v* days after recovery because they drank milk or ate cheese. You might want to advise the mother that she may want to take that into account with this virus.

Regardless of what the kiddo has I don't think you need to worry. You're totally safe, I'm sure it's the same thing. Kids v* rather than have d*, they just do. I know that she had d*, but I'm guessing that his mom was starting to feed him normally (understandably) thinking that he was recovered and it was just too soon.

Awww, I'm sorry!! It sounds like it is probably the same virus. And I agree with Syrup, some parents automatically start normal diets and dairy after a bout of v* or d* and kids tummies can't handle it.

It also could have just been the teething - but either way I am sure you are safe!

Thank you ladies! He's coming back tomorrow so hopefully everything is ok! She said he v* twice early this morning and after that was completely fine the rest of the day. She thinks it was from taking Tylenol on an empty stomach. I've never know Tylenol to cause problems, but maybe?

Most things can cause stomach irritation with an empty stomach I would think, especially in children. And you said he is teething? Lots of saliva from teething can cause the tummy to be dodgy in kiddos.

Leslie you are certainly due a break from all sv* and related tummy issues! I am sure you will be fine

Quote Originally Posted by ChiGal View Post
    Most things can cause stomach irritation with an empty stomach I would think, especially in children. And you said he is teething? Lots of saliva from teething can cause the tummy to be dodgy in kiddos.

Leslie you are certainly due a break from all sv* and related tummy issues! I am sure you will be fine
    Thanks! I know I've had enough of it. I'm so thankful school is almost out and the boys will be out for the summer, 3.5 more weeks and 3 months off!

I agree that is prob just a continuation of what you had before and anything on an empty stomach, even AN empty stomach with just acid, can make a kid v. hell, I feel n when my stomach is super empty (like right now, actually).

OH! I didn't realize the Tylenol thing! BOTH of my boys have v*ed from Tylenol. If they don't have anything in their stomach and take Tylenol it ALWAYS comes up. Every time. I'm sure that's all it was. You're totally safe.