Welcome to the International Emetophobia Society | The Web's Largest Meeting Place for People With Emetophobia.

Default Ibuprofen on an empty stomach?

Hi everyone,

Bit of a panic post. Period cramps came on so I took 2 ibuprofen (400mg total). Suddenly realised I haven't eaten since this morning which was one slice of toast 8 hours ago!!!

I'm trying to eat a banana now, but I'm worrying like mad. When is a stomach truly empty? And will I be okay? I'm worried it'll irritated my stomach and make me sick!

Default Re: Ibuprofen on an empty stomach?

I've never had an issue with ibuprofen causing me stomach issues when taken without food. Bananas are supposed to be good for periods, so good choice. Feel better soon
    "And though she be but little, she is fierce"~Helena, A Midsummer Night's Dream

I guess my anxiety is making me feel worse. I never take drugs (because of the fear) so I'm a complete newbie and didn't think when I took them. I just feel awful so worried!

It's not going to make you v, might give you a little of that "gnawing" feeling though. Eat something!

I always get nervous too about taking Advil on an empty stomach, so I usually have a few bites of food. But occasionally I've had to take it on an empty stomach and I've been fine. A little bit of heartburn at most (then I take Tums). I hate taking pills too, so I know what you're saying. But my cramps get so bad, if I didn't take Advil I'd be unable to function. My husband, who has no qualms about taking pills, often takes 2 Advils for headaches on an empty stomach and doesn't even think twice. You'll be fine.

I've taken ibuprofen on a empty stomach for years. Whenever I've had menstrual cramps they seem to be worst first thing in the morning and I go right for the ibuprofen because the pain can get really bad if I don't take it right away. I've never had an upset stomach from it. I know it can happen for some people, but definitely not for everybody so try not to let your anxiety create discomfort that wouldn't otherwise be there (I know, easier said than done!)

I do it all the time, for the exact same reason. Especially if the cramps wake me in the middle of the night. And I take 3, not 2. You'll be just fine.
    -Jenni

"Look for love and evidence that you're worth keeping." PJ

It might make your stomach feel icky, but that's about the worst it will do (unless you are allergic to ibuprofen). I take advil and tylenol and aleve on an empty stomach all the time and it never bothers me. The only things ill never take on an empty stomach are antibiotics (unless it specifies that i should) or vitamins. Im sure you will be fine

Only time I have an issue on that med is when I take 3 pills. 2 pills do not bother my tummy.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
    Kick emets a....

Hello, ladies. I know this is an old post, but I wanted to provide some assurance. Taking Ibuprofen or other NSAIDs (Non-Steroidal Anti-Inflammatory Drugs) without food or milk in the stomach can be harmful. Over time, doing so may irritate the stomach lining or exacerbate existing irritations, causing ulcers or, potentially, bleeding. Taking Ibuprofen on an empty stomach to relieve menstrual cramps shouldn't be an issue, unless it becomes a pattern. Do so sparingly, but don't worry if you end up popping a few Ibuprofen without food when you wake up with a cramp.

Blessings from a concerned medical professional,

Sam Pagle