Welcome to the International Emetophobia Society | The Web's Largest Meeting Place for People With Emetophobia.

Thread: wisdom teeth

Hello,

I'm new here, and i'm glad i've found a place where i can discuss my fear of v* without feeling judged. No one knows about my fear, not even my boyfriend of 6 years. i guess i'm just afraid that if i mention it to anyone I'll jinx myself, or they will think i'm weird.

anyways, i've recently found out that i have to have my wisdom teeth out, and i've heard so many horror stories of people who get really sick afterwards, and i'm scared. i've been having panic attacks just thinking about it. has anyone here had their wisdom teeth out or heard of other people who have? what was your/their experience?

I had two wisdom teeth pulled. Honestly, in my experience, there was nothing to it.I am surprised you have heard horror stories about it. I was given novocaine and didn't feel a thing. I do remember I wasn't allowed to sip from a straw for 24 hours afterwards, and not to eat anything too hard. That was it. It really was one of the simplest medical precedures I ever went through. I think you should be fine.
    I must face my fear.
    I will allow it to pass over and through me.
    When it has gone past I will turn my inner eye to see it\'s path.
    Where it has gone there will be nothing. Only I will remain. -Dune

Hi Melody and welcome!

I had all 4 of my wisdom teeth cut out all at once when i was about 19 years old. (not just pulled, they needed to be surgically removed). I needed local anesthesia to be put under. I had no problems what-so-ever! I was even so hungry after i came home, that i ate a cheesburger right away LOL!!! I could barely open my jaw from the swelling, and i just had to be extra careful because i had stitches, but that just shows that i was not sick in the least! Yes, i heard some scary storied of ppl who get sick from the anesthesia...but i did not! Infact if you would have to be put out for it, you just tell them that you fear getting sick...and they'll make sure you wont! Things have changed so much over the years, especially with anesthesia...they now automatically add anti-emetics to it and it's RARE for ppl to wake up sick from it. Last year i had an appendectomy, and i told them to MAKE SURE they add an anti-emetic with it...they said THAT'S ROUTINE NOW, they do it for ALL surgeries! I had no problems after that surgery either :-)
    For God has not given us a spirit of fear; but of power and of love and of a sound mind. 2 Timothy 1:7

Hey Melody,

You're the first person I've read about so far who, like me, hasn't told anyone, not even my boyfriend of 4 years. I think it's because I don't want people to become aware of why I might act peculiarly at times. If he knew, he would know why I do certain things, and I just rather he didn't have to know. I think personally it has worked out better for me that way anyways.

Anyway I'm sure the op will go fine, I agree with what the others are saying. I didn't have to have my wisdom teeth out but my four back teeth next to that, and it was fine. I have to admit afterwards I wasn't comfortable and eating was difficult, but there was no sickness. Not everyone reacts badly to anaesthesia, in fact a lot of people do just end up feeling really hungry afterwards! Good luck

it will be ok melody i have had all 4 pulled and only one drysocketed on me. the only thing is the pain afterward. like someone tried to break my jaw but they give you some good meds for that.

Hi Melody and welcome too!

I had four wisdom teeth surgically removed (like you Meercat), although under general anesthetic, and this was about 12 or so years ago! Back then there wouldn't have been all the fantastic anti-emets they have now - and I was too scared to mention my phobia back then - didn't even know it existed!!! Good news is I awoke from the anesthetic and could even feel my stomach rumbling - I was really hungry (though scared I was going to be sick from the anesthetic). I never did get sick and was totally fine (athough my face was really swollen and took at least a week to recover) - I had stitches too Meercat! You will be fine and I would definitely tell the doctors about your phobia, because then they can ensure that you have anti-emets and you WILL be FINE!!!

Let us know when you are having the surgery and we will all be thinking of you!

Daniela xxx

I had my wisdom teeth pulled...and I guess that's another fear I have...anesthesia.

I don't know if I worried myself tired before the surgery, but my twin brother, who had his pulled at the same time, was delivering newspapers that afternoon. I slept because I felt groggy. Never felt s* afterwards at all.

Just relax about it. Feeling a little sleepy with a sore jaw is all that you'll feel afterwards.

kerryrob

Thanks everyone!! You are all the best! I feel so much better. I wish i could write more, but i'm at work, but i want you to know that your words and advice make me feel a million times better !!!