Welcome to the International Emetophobia Society | The Web's Largest Meeting Place for People With Emetophobia.

Default Don't know what to do tonight :(

So right now it's about 5:30AM early Monday morning. I've been wide awake since 4AM, I woke up out of a dead sleep and immediately went into anxiety when I woke up and now I feel really uneasy, restless, and sort of nauseous, and just like something bad is going to happen. I wouldn't normally be so worried about waking up in the middle of the night except for the circumstances the past few days.

So on Saturday I was at work (I work as a bank teller) and it was about 11:30 AM when a member walked up to my window with their son. I didn't think anything of it at all and began to do the transaction. A few seconds later the little boy said to his dad in kind of a weird tone "dad I need to use the bathroom" and so the dad pointed to the bathroom door (it's in our lobby probably about 10-12 feet from my station). The little boy had the stomach flu the dad proceeded to tell me. The little boy started to cough a little bit but he kept the bathroom door open and the dad went in to turn on the light and shut the door. For the next 2-3 minutes I heard the little boy coughing and throwing up, all the while I was trying to concentrate on doing the transaction so I could just get them out of the branch. After about 2-3 minutes I was done with the transaction and the little boy came out from the bathroom and they left. About 2 minutes after that one of my co-workers got some Lysol disinfecting spray and sprayed the entire bathroom, the door knob, the sink and toilet and then left the bathroom door slightly open. As soon as I could I locked my drawer and went to the back to breathe. I could feel myself shaking and my heart was pounding. Another girl I work with is emetophobic too and she was back there with me freaking out just as much as I was. I worked until like 1PM and then went home. Ever since Saturday I have wondered if I was exposed to any of the vomit particles that were expelled. I'm worried they were floating through the branch shortly after it happened and I could've swallowed them or breathed them in.

So basically my emetophobic brain has told myself that I have like a 24-48 incubation period to wait for this to hit. I am counting from the time it happened (11:15-11:30) and 48 hours after to tell if it's going to happen to me too. It's really freaking me out, I have barely eaten today and have felt slightly off ever since it happened. So I said this morning at 11:30 AM will be 48 hours and I should know by then. And then of course, I went to bed at around 12AM and suddenly woke up from a dead sleep at 4AM (which always makes me believe I'm going to be sick) and to make matters worse I had been worrying that I might wake up sick in the middle of the night tonight because it would be just about at my 48 hour incubation period mark. Now it's 5:40AM. I'm tossing and turning, I don't feel good, my legs feel really restless like I can't sit still, and I'm unable to fall back asleep.

Am I sick? I've been awake for an hour an 40 minutes in the middle of the night and I feel like I've caught this virus. I don't know if I woke up because it was on my mind going to bed and I just have anxiety, but part of my brain is making me think THIS IS IT I feel so helpless right now, and I am so worried that I've caught this stomach bug. I was in a situation and I couldn't get out of it and I feel like I got too exposed. I don't know what to do or think right now. I just wish I would go back to sleep and forget this ever happened at work, or I wish I could just not let it bother me. This whole worrying and making myself feel terrible with anxiety is so horrible and it's seriously like torture waiting it out like this. I wish I wasn't the way I am. I just want to be better, and I really don't want to get sick. I am so scared tonight.

Default Re: Don't know what to do tonight :(

Oh my gosh first of all, what is wrong with that dad for lugging his poor sick kid around and exposing everyone to his flu?! I want to bat his kneecaps! second of all, how are you feeling? I'm positive you didn't catch it!

Default Re: Don't know what to do tonight :(

OH MY GOSH!!!! That poor kid! I can't believe it. How horrible! How old was he? Poor little thing. That breaks my heart. That's SO not ok!

You're totally safe. You really are. That would shake anyone up to see or hear, not just emetophobs.