Welcome to the International Emetophobia Society | The Web's Largest Meeting Place for People With Emetophobia.

Default Horrible exposure story, need advice. *may trigger*

I went into my local college today for a meeting, when to my damn luck, I could hear retching from around the corner. I froze up, trying to convince myself it wasn't what I thought it was. A disabled girl is being walked along with a lady, moving very slowly and the girl made the retching noise again. I was staring at my version of hell, so of course I panicked and ran straight back out.

However, I really needed to get to this meeting. So my partner stood with me outside and assured me that it was just her coughing, as some people just make different noises etc.
    After about two minutes I plucked the courage to try again.
    In we went through the same damn corridor we saw the girl in earlier, still feeling extremely anxious and on edge. Stood waiting for the lift, when the staff cleaners radio goes off saying "could we have a cleaner to the middle lift please, someone's been sick".

At this point I'm convinced satan is watching me and laughing. I completely freaked out and ran (literally ran like a scared child) out of the building and cried.

What I want to know is, if this was a SV that the girl has, could I have caught it by going through the corridor she was in when she was retching? Or can you only catch it from the actual V*?
    I'm just worried because I went through the corridor she was in etc.

Default Re: Horrible exposure story, need advice. *may trigger*

I think you are safe. If it was a virus, it wouldn't have been shed just from coughing. It would be in the v* only (any feces) which you had no exposure to.

You are completely safe. You had no contact with the girl, she didn't actively v* in your presence, no worries for you at all.

Thanks guys. I know my logical brain is telling me there's nothing to be afraid of. But my anxious brain is telling me that this just be a sign. I also just found out someone who was going to come round my place today has come down with a SV too it's like the phobia tests me some days to see how far I can be pushed. Hate it so much!

No worries. Depending on the disability there could be a million reasons why she was retching. When I see people in wheelchairs getting sick I never think it's a bug, as 99% of the time it's not. Working with children with special needs some years ago I was around v* a lot, and was never sick. Seriously, the things that made them v* were numerous, too many to count. She wasn't sick. You're totally safe.