Welcome to the International Emetophobia Society | The Web's Largest Meeting Place for People With Emetophobia.

Default It's terrible that I overcame it this way... but it works.

Had a very bad phobia for years, from about 2002 - 2013.

It ended when I was with my parents and we were partying, and drinking, way too much and had some shots including Absynth. Intoxicated to the point where i was so disoriented, dizzy, and nausea that I didn't care anymore (due to the alcohol, of course) and it happened. My family was there with me, it ended up being just fine. Despite being hungover the next day I was on cloud nine, and so happy that i was not afraid anymore.

It didn't quite seal the deal, I was a little nervous still, but I ended up getting a bug and got sick, and it didn't bother me nearly as much. I was more annoyed/inconvenienced if anything. But as an adult, its SO much easier to deal with it than as a kid I think that's part of it too. The control aspect.

As years have gone on and I have had too much to drink, i will get sick and now I have learned to re-associate it with relief. I have also had to deal with friends who have gotten s* drinking too much (sad that I drink too much, BUT, it's better than living with the fear)

Default Re: It's terrible that I overcame it this way... but it works.

You are brave. I'm so happy to hear that one of us has once again overcome. I've never really touched a drink in my life for that exact reason being- I dont think the v* and hangover would be worth it. But good job!