Welcome to the International Emetophobia Society | The Web's Largest Meeting Place for People With Emetophobia.

Default So scared I am shaking

So scared I am shaking

Okay so I've not been sleeping well, waking up convinced someone is in the room or just waking up panicking. Without going in to huge detail I am having an extraordinarily stressful time (my abusive ex is on trial, and I'm having to relocate home and jobs to get away from him). The lack of sleep and stress has hit me physically. Last week I thought I was coming down with a cold - I woke up feeling mucous-like and gaggy. I was sneezy for a few days but it didn't turn in to a full blown cold. Since all of this I've had really bad anxiety about Emet took.

About half an hour ago I woke up mid panic attack, shaking and worrying and feeling very, very n*. I calmed myself down and passed a BM (a relief, as one of the other symptoms of stress has been constipation) but the mucous feeling in my throat has returned like last week like I'm going to get a cold, and I still feel n*. This is all one big mess in my head of stress, tiredness, panic, being run down... But this n* is so real and I am shaking like a leaf. Surely I would know deep down if I was going to v*? I had a meal out last night too and of course I'm worried about FP too!!!

Default Re: So scared I am shaking

i get that waking u feeling like someone is in the room thing too! lack of sleep and stress can hurt our gut in all kinds of ways and throw us off balance. i hope you feel better soon!
    “A man that flies from his fear may find that he has only taken a short cut to meet it.”

Hope you are feeling better. Sometimes (and I'm not saying this is the case here) it is a vicious cycle where not feeling well creates anxiety which makes you feel worse. I feel something very similar going on right now, and I know the feeling and the anxiety is awful!

Hi,

I just wrote a post about comforting words I had recently...I'll post the important bits below with trigger words censored (not censored on my actual thread if you want to read the full thing)

The main symptoms of an anxiety attack (or panic attack if worse) are fast or thumping heartbeat, shaking/trembling, heavy breathing, n*, feeling of dread, hot or cold flushes, dry mouth or excess saliva (dependent on each person)....does that sound familiar to you guys too?? When I feel s* it automatically makes me anxious, which in turn gives me all of those symptoms, which then enforces the fears I'm having. The reason you feel these when anxious is due to the fight or flight response - an automatic function you cannot control. Feeling anxious (consciously or unconsciously) maybe even for a second triggers this response and floods your body with hormones like adrenaline and cortisol. These hormones will make your heart race, make you shake and reduce the activity to areas not needed to fight or flight...importantly for us, your stomach and digestive system. This causes you to feel n*. So actually, this is a normal reaction of your body and it will not make you be s*. Try to breathe slow, keep distracted and calm and the hormones will gradually leave your system and you will feel better again. I guess I always knew all this, but never really gave it serious thought and actively thought about it.

Sorry, I can't seem to get the bold to turn off for that copied/pasted section haha! I just wanted to add that I get incredibly shaky when I have an episode of n*. I go from feeling hot to freezing cold, all the while trembling uncontrollably. I used to try to force myself to stop shaking, but have recently realised I actually feel better if I shake. The physical movement distracts from the n* feeling, and starts to get rid of the extra energy and adrenaline causing it all.

Another thing that I want to add is that during a really bad patch over xmas, I was also getting a post-nasal drip. In case you aren't sure what that is (I wasn't until I had it!) it feels like mucous is trickling down the back of the throat...or for me it felt like mucous from high up in my nasal passages was dangling down the back of my throat and I couldn't clear it. When I blew my nose, it tugged on the mucous in my throat and made me gag a bit. I went to the Dr and got a nose spray...which didn't work. BUT I went again and the second one they put me on was amazing. The post nasal drip had gone the next day and made such a difference to my feeling n*!

I really hope you feel better, I know how miserable it is