Welcome to the International Emetophobia Society | The Web's Largest Meeting Place for People With Emetophobia.

Default Reasons why you might feel nauseous

Hi All,

I've not taken an anti-emetic/anti-sickness medication in about a year now, having previously taken them every time I felt vaguely sick and since stopping them I've noticed that I do feel genuinely sick/nauseous at different points in the month- i.e. most often prior to my time-of-the-month and then again 10-14 days after this (due to hormones when ovulating). The nausea comes in waves and scares me a little bit and I know I used to take anti-emetics every time this happened but since realizing it's just a result of fluctuating hormone levels and that I never actually v* from it, I can sit and wait for the nausea to dissipate.

In the past my parents would suggest the nausea was psychosomatic/all in my head but I now know it is genuine nausea. I was wondering if this might help others as sometimes when we're sure it's not all-in-our-heads it might be real hormone-related nausea but not an indication that we're going to v*.

Default Re: Reasons why you might feel nauseous

I have never taken an anti emetic, but I do agree with the few days before TOM and around ovulation. it def hits more.

Definitely happens to me too. Usually gets better if I'm able to lie down and relax.

Happens to me too, some months are worse than others.

I've only taken anti emetics twice in my life. Once in fen when I had really terrible food poisoning and then 3 days in a row about a month ago, when I broke my leg. Since my stomach issues are usually anxiety related,I try to avoid unnecessary meds

I also have noticed hormonal changes causing n* for me. And you're right it is a big help to realize that. For my it's the first 1-2 days of my TOM that hit me the hardest because I'm bloated and n* all at once all day. It used to make me anxious but now I just remind myself that I feel that way every single month on those days and I can at least get on with my day, continue to eat, and go out/travel through it because at least I have a reason for why I feel bad.

That's really good that most people avoid taking anti-emetics too!

I just wanted to let anyone who might not realize about the hormone-nausea issue know because it's worse when other people are claiming it's a psychological issue and you know you actually feel unwell!

My family till this day say it's all in my head! But I do realize it hits me more when the TOM comes rolling on by. But also sometimes it can be what I eat. My stomach is wierd, I do still take Promethazine when I get really bad, not everyday or anything. I need to wing myself off, but I'm just glad you stopped taking them for about 1 year and a half now! That's really great for you, and I hope your doing better.

Am I the only one that doesnt get hormonal nausea? Ive been reading up on it with lots of people on here but I feel mentally good when im due because I know that any pain or difference in my body is related to that. The worste part of feeling sick for me is not knowing what it is. But when i get my period im actually fine and I dont notice anything around ovualtion either. I also dont anticipate any nausea I am prone to feeling sick only because I know I worry about it the only time I mainly feel good is with T.O.M cause If i were to feel sick it would just be from that. So a pattern ive noticed here is if I worry I feel sick, around my period I dont worry so I dont feel sick. So do you guys think you all just anticipate it and worry about it?
    No passion so effectively robs the mind of all its powers of acting and reasoning as fear.

Hello Emmalinda,
    In my opinion and the way I feel, I feel sick from certain foods I eat, or if I am stressed about life or another stressful situation I am in. When I am on my T.O.M, I tend to before I start, get really bad nausea spells to the point where I sit near the toilet just in case. Everyone's different I believe, but In my case, I do believe that I anticipate my nausea, and also sometimes create it because I am so nervous or thinking about it too much. It is the hardest thing to keep it under control, but I am trying my very best to say the least.
    You are very lucky you feel better on your T.O.M, because you know where it is coming from, For me, my head spins and I start thinking about everything all at once. My most fear is the Stomach bug, ans so whenever I am feeling sick, I tend to think I have the stomach bug, but in reality I dont. It is a constant roller coaster with me. Take care.