Welcome to the International Emetophobia Society | The Web's Largest Meeting Place for People With Emetophobia.

Default Having a freak out

Hi,
    I'm new to the forum, but battled with emet for about 8 years now. My 13yo son had an unsettled stomach/fatigue/general yuk feelings for most of yesterday, yet didn't v** until 8.30 this morning- it was so sudden the poor lad didn't get a chance to shut the bathroom door (though, bless him, he wasn't too, um, messy) he's had no other symptoms since and seems much more like his usual self though he's only had some dry toast and flat 7up.
    It's so selfish but I'm so, so frightened I will now get it- I've bleached the bathroom as best I can (with latex gloves and a face mask, how pathetic is that!) and I've disinfected everything I can think of, done the bedding and towels at 95 degrees, not to mention enough hand washing to make the skin on my hands really dry!
    It's just never ending though, this cycle of cleaning but never being convinced you've cleaned enough- it's impossible to get it all, and I'm frightened I might be infected by the 'spray' from this morning.
    Does anyone know if *sv can be caught from hugging? I gave him a cuddle a little while ago- I can't bear not being a 'proper' mum when he's not well, but now it's all I can think of- I'm pretending so hard that I'm not as bothered as I am!
    So, so sorry to freak out on here, but I'm dreading the 48 hours I have ahead of me now, constantly panicking and not being able to think of anything else. if anyone has any words of advice I'd really appreciate it
    X

Default Re: Having a freak out

oh I know your pain. I am a mom too. I am pretty sure you can't it from a hug. you have to ingest the particles, either through dirty hands or something that particles fell on (ie a toothbrush on the counter near the toilet). you did what you can - wash hands, clean bathroom and make sure he showers and washes hands when he feels up to. get new toothbrushes and wash towels and floor mats. HUGS. hopefully he feels better soon.

It sounds like you cleaned up really well so I don't think you have a high chance of catching anything. My mother, while not emet, absolutely hates v* and works very hard to stop the spread of germs of someone in the house is sick. Aside from when we were very small, or if we've ever caught something/showed symptoms at the same time - my sisters and I have never caught sv* from each other that I can remember. So, good cleaning along with proper hand washing is extremely effective at stopping the spread of these bugs.

Hang in there, you'll get through this!! Hope your son feels better too!

Thank you both, he's feeling a bit better and I'm trying to hold down the panic! Although I'm practically following him round with the bleach spray and cleaning everything he touches still...

Really sorry to overshare, but now I definitely don't feel right and am having d*, I can cope with that just as long as it doesn't mean the other happens too, I hate not knowing.
    Thanks again for reading and helping.

That could very well be caused by anxiety, hopefully that's all it is. Hope you're feeling better!