Welcome to the International Emetophobia Society | The Web's Largest Meeting Place for People With Emetophobia.

Default Very watery diarrhea I think I have a norovirus!?

Last night I woke up at 2 and had diarrhea that was completely liquid, and again at 2 30. This morning I woke up at 9 and it happened again. Im getting dehydrated but I'm terrified that if I drink water I will throw up. I dont have a fever, just diarrhea and stomach cramping. Is this a norovirus? Will I vomit?

Default Re: Very watery diarrhea I think I have a norovirus!?

edit: Could it also be stress induced? I worked from 9am to 11pm the last two days in a row and yesterday was a very stressful day

It could be either. It could be related to the food you've eaten as well. Have you had a change in your diet or eaten much food that wasn't really good for you.

On occasion I've had a similar experience - where I'll wake up have have d* for several hours with little to no other symptoms and then it's fine. Usually I've been able to link it to my diet the previous day. Stress could also do it. No way to know for sure it's not noro from the info you gave but nothing about it screams noro either. If you're not really n* at this point I would guess you're unlikely to become n*/v*. Fingers crossed for you! Hope you feel better soon!

How are you feeling? If you aren't really nauseated then drink water. Lots of it too. Diarrhea is a major dehydration risk if you have a lot and aren't replacing the fluids so next time don't skimp on it. Water, Gatorade or Powerade, anything with electrolytes really works fine. Avoid acidic juices though as they can aggravate the stomach like apple or orange. And sodas because all the sugar isn't good for you. Exception may be ginger ale with real ginger in it or coke syrup/watered down coca-cola if you are feeling sick as it can ease nausea. I doubt it was noro, but can't guarantee that so be sure to clean the bathroom as if it was noro. Lots of things cause diarrhea and only a few are actually contagious in some way.
    "And though she be but little, she is fierce"~Helena, A Midsummer Night's Dream

I work in the food industry in the lab testing/quality department so need to know about food-borne illnesses and diseases...funny enough norovirus counts as a food-borne disease as you have to ingest the virus. To me, it doesn't sound like norovirus as it's not acute enough enough (although I'm sure it' absolutely still no fun!!) and the absence of any other symptoms such as a high temperature or headaches. Good fact to know though, is that even if you do contract norovirus, it doesn't always make you vomit - many people have all the symptoms apart from vomiting and so never attribute it to norovirus.

It sounds like just a regular bug passing through your system, and to be honest being sick is usually one of the first things to occur if you are going to be at all...so if it's gone straight through and you are having diarrhea, I don't think you need to worry.

Best drink for trying to stay hydrated is getting a full fat lemonade (none of the diet or sugar free stuff) and shake it until it's flat. The sugars and electrolytes in lemonade are much better absorbed into your body than having just water. What ever you decide to drink, just take a small sip every minute but continuously, rather than mouthfuls every now and again. This will stop the rush of liquid into your stomach that may cause more diarrhea and should prevent you from feeling nauseous from the upset going on. And don't worry, feeling a bit nauseous in this situation is perfectly normal and does not mean you will be sick. Your digestive system is going through a rough time and added to that, chemicals and hormones being released due to the physical and emotional stress can make you feel queasy (but again won't make you sick).

Keep strong and positive, you're probably through the worst of it already