Welcome to the International Emetophobia Society | The Web's Largest Meeting Place for People With Emetophobia.

Default Ate Piece of Fish That Was Cold in the Middle. Scared.

The piece of fish was a breaded pollock patty in a TV dinner. The package says "Cook Thoroughly" and tells you to use a food thermometer to make sure it's done, which makes me think the fish was raw to begin with. I cooked it on the longest setting advised on the package (5 min 30 seconds) but it was still cold in the center. I only swallowed a small bite that was actually cold, but now I'm scared I'll get food poisoning. I know people eat raw sushi all the time but I never have. Ugh.

More info: the TV dinner was a Healthy Choice Lemon Pepper Fish meal. It doesn't say whether it's pre-cooked or not. All my other non-meat TV dinners have the same "Keep frozen. Cook Thoroughly" warning on the package.

Can somebody tell me what the actual risk of getting sick from one bite of cold fish would be? Or possibly help me determine if it was pre-cooked or raw? I know this is dumb but I don't want to worry all day. Thanks in advance.

Default Re: Ate Piece of Fish That Was Cold in the Middle. Scared.

i woulld say if it was in a tv dinner it would have preservatives to prevent against that. you still feeling ok?
    “A man that flies from his fear may find that he has only taken a short cut to meet it.”

No risk. Healthy Choice is a ConAgra company and they slap that label on ALL frozen food brands, recommending to measure with a thermometer. It is simply to cover any liability on the off-chance that something slipped in QC or was somehow cross a contaminated. This is very unlikely. The fish was fully cooked before freezing. No need to worry about this one.

Ahhh, thanks for the reassurance! I'm still feeling fine, minus the anxiety.

ConAgra was involved in a food poisoning scandal with their chicken TV dinners, so they do slap that warning on everything now. I had no clue that many TV dinners are not pre-cooked so at least I learned something from this